Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Two country living, England and Canada.

Two country living, England and Canada.

Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold
Default Two country living, England and Canada.

Sister and family arrived last week for the purpose of officially landing. Which was sucessfully done by going over bridge to Detroit for days shopping and then going through process when coming back in.
Dont want to bother you all with her circumstances but just lets say that house wants to be bought over here to use on and off for the next few years.
Has any one got any words of wisdom about this possibility, like health insurance, retaining driving licence for both countries, tax problems, my sanity at looking after it for her while she is in England.
Any advise welcome.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Two country living, England and Canada.

Originally Posted by canbritdenise
Sister and family arrived last week for the purpose of officially landing. Which was sucessfully done by going over bridge to Detroit for days shopping and then going through process when coming back in.
Dont want to bother you all with her circumstances but just lets say that house wants to be bought over here to use on and off for the next few years.
Has any one got any words of wisdom about this possibility, like health insurance, retaining driving licence for both countries, tax problems, my sanity at looking after it for her while she is in England.
Any advise welcome.
There could be many issues. For starters, if you are out of Canada for more than 6 months at a time, you will lose your Permanent Resident staus.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:23 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johnh009
There could be many issues. For starters, if you are out of Canada for more than 6 months at a time, you will lose your Permanent Resident staus.
Really?

I think your information is out of date.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:24 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Since when?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bazzz
Really?

I think your information is out of date.
Sorry, I stand corrected, it is 2 years out of 5.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:32 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I forgive you.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I forgive you.
I think that may be a first.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

canbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to beholdcanbritdenise is a splendid one to behold

No help then.
Anyone with anything to add?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...ip/travel.html

How long do I have to stay in Ontario immediately after I apply for coverage?
If you have moved to Ontario from outside Canada, or if you have moved from another Canadian province or territory and were not insured by that province or territory’s health plan, you must be present for 153 days in the first 183 days immediately following the date you establish residency in Ontario (i.e., you cannot be absent for more than 30 days during the first 6 months of residency in Ontario).

What if I’m going to be absent from Canada for a long period of time?
If you are out of the country for more than 212 days in any 12-month period, you may still be eligible for continuous Ontario Health Insurance Plan eligibility if you are away for one of the following reasons :

study outside of Canada
work outside of Canada
missionary work outside of Canada
vacation or other reason outside of Canada

To be eligible for continuous OHIP eligibility during one of these extended absences you must first have been physically present in Ontario for at least 153 days in the 12-month period, for 2 consecutive years before the absence.

Driving license I don't know - you can drive on the "other" license for short periods of time/holidays, so I wouldn't rush to change those... although the Ontario one needs no proof of residency and yet serves as proof of address in itself so it's useful in that regard.

Where will she be resident? Why does she need to buy the house now? She knows that property tax is payable on empty property here - will it not cost her more to buy a place than it will to just wait until she's properly resident?
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Older sister and all that. Has her own ideas.
They dont want to live permenently here for another few years, but they want to be able to come here for 3 or 4 months and have their own place.
I dont know how this will affect their PR, but they just seem to think, give it a go and see what happens.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:37 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Actually it's 3 years out of 5. You only have to maintain 2 years residence in every 5.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:38 am
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

" although the Ontario one needs no proof of residency and yet serves as proof of address in itself so it's useful in that regard. "

I didnt know that !

M.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
" although the Ontario one needs no proof of residency and yet serves as proof of address in itself so it's useful in that regard. "

I didnt know that !

M.
Yeh, you can use it as proof of residency for OHIP, and yet you need no proof of residency to get the license itself. My first Ontario license was issued with the address of and sent to me at the Delta Chelsea hotel, Toronto for example. I got my 2nd license a year ago and it was still the same, no proof of address needed - they accept it on your word. They do mail the photocard out to you at the given address so it needs to be real and somewhere you can get mail, but that's about it.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Aug 15th 2008 at 5:07 pm. Reason: spellink!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 4:36 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

" you can use it as proof of residency for OHIP " ???

Whats OHIP then ?

M.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:09 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loser40
" you can use it as proof of residency for OHIP " ???

Whats OHIP then ?

M.
PTW. Ontario Heath Insurance Plan. The equivalent of the NHS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.