Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TV, Internet and 'Phone

TV, Internet and 'Phone

Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default TV, Internet and 'Phone

We're about to move into our own place and I'm flummoxed by the whole cable/satellite thing. The words "woods" and "trees" spring to mind in fact.

What I mean is - in England we had NTL cable. You could go on their website and for a flat rate "buy" a package which meant you got broadband internet, cable telly and a phone line. From time to time they'd do special promotional deals where you'd get extra channels for a low rate, or a faster internet connection.

I've been trying to make sense of the Rogers website which seems to expect you to do all the work to get a bundle together.

Maybe it's the state of mind I'm in, but I'm struggling with the Bell site as well.

Can someone help me out?

All I want is a high speed internet connection (broadband), a fairly basic TV package (preferably HD) with a few sports channels that will allow me to watch United on a Saturday morning and a phone deal that gives cheap rates for calls to the UK and "long distance".

Anybody in southern Ontario have a similar bundle they can recommend, or is it cheaper to go with seperate providers for each?

Thanks for any answers!
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV, Internet and 'Phone

I sympathize with you. I could never get the hang of either site either. I'm with Bell/Sympatico for phone/cell phone/internet and because of the 'package' for $5.00 extra I get up to 1000 US/Canada long distance per month as well and UK at 7 cents per min. The cable is thru Rogers but I'm in a condo and it's included in the fees.

My suggestion is to telephone each of them and explain what you want. The web-sites are useless but the staff on the phone are good.

Cathie
Old Jul 25th 2006, 5:49 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

My only advice would be to look at VOIP options for your long distance (if practical) calls and definitely for your UK ones.

The market for internet telephony over there seems much more developed than here (pretty much everyone outside your postcode being long distance may have something to do with it) and I'm pretty certain they offer better rates than the telcos for international calling.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

debbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
We're about to move into our own place and I'm flummoxed by the whole cable/satellite thing. The words "woods" and "trees" spring to mind in fact.

What I mean is - in England we had NTL cable. You could go on their website and for a flat rate "buy" a package which meant you got broadband internet, cable telly and a phone line. From time to time they'd do special promotional deals where you'd get extra channels for a low rate, or a faster internet connection.

I've been trying to make sense of the Rogers website which seems to expect you to do all the work to get a bundle together.

Maybe it's the state of mind I'm in, but I'm struggling with the Bell site as well.

Can someone help me out?

All I want is a high speed internet connection (broadband), a fairly basic TV package (preferably HD) with a few sports channels that will allow me to watch United on a Saturday morning and a phone deal that gives cheap rates for calls to the UK and "long distance".

Anybody in southern Ontario have a similar bundle they can recommend, or is it cheaper to go with seperate providers for each?

Thanks for any answers!

I am with Rogers for Television/internet/cell phone and home phone it is about $150 per month for the whole lot.thats what i pay any way.The phone is 5 cents per minute for international i have digital cable i dont know anything about HD .The only down side to the phone through the cable is when the power goes out the phone goes off.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:56 pm
Native Vancouverite

Susie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really nice

Out here in Vancouver I'm with Shaw. It's not a package per se, but I get my high-speed internet for a pretty standard rate, cable package is discounted if you have their internet, and best of all, they now have digital phone service. I'm on this and it's discounted if you have their internet as well. For $55/mo you get all the regular services (including 3-way calling, call waiting, voicemail, etc.) plus unlimited long distance in North America and 1000 minutes a month to international numbers. Not all countries are included in that, but the UK is.

For the record, I think the cable package is something like $10 a month on top of the internet charges. It's cheap, but I haven't bothered with it as it would be too tempting not to get outside in this beautiful city.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 7:50 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Can someone help me out?

Thanks for any answers!
Hey Mate, Hows it goin.
We had the same queries when we arrived. Our local monopoly (sorry provider) is Cogeco. Telly/internet/Home phone it is $94 + Tax per month.
That includes all calls to Canada and USA.
We use the phone cards from PC Financial for calling UK.

That includes the esports package which i,m told shows premiership but you're f****d if you want to watch FC !!!!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buchan6
That includes the esports package which i,m told shows premiership but you're f****d if you want to watch FC !!!!
Hiya feller - you alright?

We may end up having to put the TV bit on hold - the sale on our house in Stockport still hasn't gone through. We're well pissed off as we're pretty short of cash now.
Internet and phone are essentials though (according to the missus).

There's a pub down the road from where we'll be living so hopefully they'll have matches on.

No FC though . I'm already gutted that I'm missing the pre-season friendlies. It was great being able to go and watch a match every week for less than a tenner again!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 2:39 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

No FC though : Do you know a couple of my mates whogo pretty regularly ??Mark Chetham / Dave Taylor. Chet writes the pub reports for the website
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buchan6
No FC though : Do you know a couple of my mates whogo pretty regularly ??Mark Chetham / Dave Taylor. Chet writes the pub reports for the website
Don't know either of them I'm afraid. I've read the pub reports though. Did you go to any matches before you crossed the pond?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

miraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nicemiraclepie is just really nice

Can someone help me out?

Thanks for any answers!

Have you checked out "shaw" you can do everything - phone, cable, and internet all in one bundle.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:49 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Hi
We live just over an hour away from you and we went with Bell (our choice up here was a little more limited). However we found it easier to go into the shop and they bundled our choices up for us. When they bundle it, you get discounts for each thing added to the bundle.
We actually have a basic TV package (plus extra channels) and the basic lite for the internet and we pay $5.00 for a long distance telephone package so all out USA/Canada calls are free and we pay about $85 per month. We will probably upgrade the internet at some point which I think will cost another $15.
Hope that this helps.
P.S. Guelph has a lovely Indian restaurant!!! And an Arbys!!!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sydney
Hi
We live just over an hour away from you and we went with Bell (our choice up here was a little more limited). However we found it easier to go into the shop and they bundled our choices up for us. When they bundle it, you get discounts for each thing added to the bundle.
We actually have a basic TV package (plus extra channels) and the basic lite for the internet and we pay $5.00 for a long distance telephone package so all out USA/Canada calls are free and we pay about $85 per month. We will probably upgrade the internet at some point which I think will cost another $15.
Hope that this helps.
P.S. Guelph has a lovely Indian restaurant!!! And an Arbys!!!
Never found the nice Indian!

However - we moved to our new place in Alliston nearly a fortnight ago and decided to go with Rogers for all three.

5c/minute calls to Europe & long distance, 5mbps internet (on a special promotion at the moment) and basic cable works out at about $112/month including tax (+call charges).

Was told by friends/relatives that they're all pretty similar charges wise, so went fot the easy option.