Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tuscany North West calgary

Tuscany North West calgary

Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

chinook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tuscany North West calgary

Just been offered a position wuth my company out in Calgary. I was about to leave the firm and move to Halifax, however a bit of politics has seen me do a 180 and accept their offer of 3 years in Calgary, fantastic.

I have been many times on work trips and my wife is a Newfie, however we have now been caught out a little bit off balance with this offer and have very little time to sort things out.

To add to the mix we will be arriving with a one month old baby, DOH as if things weren't hectic enough.

Would really appreciate any comments on any matters to help us out, life in Tuscany, things to see and do, Mums clubs, community ideas, shops, restaurants, top tips etc.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:18 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tuscany North West calgary

Chinook, I responded to you in post #8 of this thread.

Although I gave you links in the other thread, and although you could find these links by going through those other links, here are some websites that would be of immediate use to a new mother:
Hope that helps.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:09 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I've just added this book, A Baby Guide to Calgary, to the Wiki article called Calgary Fun. I'd seen it when I'd been out and about, shopping, but couldn't remember its name. Well, I've now stumbled on its name via the Calgary Moms website, so I've added it.
x
Old Jun 8th 2008, 11:59 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Tuscany is one of the newer communities in the far NW. I don't think any of our active members here actually live there, but some of us live in nearby communities.

If you haven't seen this, it might be helpful: http://www.calgaryarea.com/nw/tuscany/tuscany.htm
and
http://www.tuscany-community.com/frame_main.html

There's a small parade of shops in Tuscany "village centre", and your nearest larger shopping centre is the Crowfoot Centre, a few minutes' drive back along the the Crowchild Trail, toward downtown.

The school in Tuscany only serves up to grade 4,so older kids are bussed to schools in other communities I guess. http://www.cbe.ab.ca/schools/view.asp?id=330

Tuscany has a bit of a new, plasticky feel about it to me, only having visited a few times. I think it's cos it's all so new, it feels like it's still got its wrapper on! It's probably fine for young families, but I know a couple who lived there (with no kids) who found it too far out from the centre and are now moving to a more central location.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hi there...
Congrats on your move and on baby!!!

Tuscany is just fine. I have a number of friends who live there...Most of them - like me have young kiddies....Morwenna is correct that it is very popular with young families. She is also right that the current public school is k-4 but the new middle school is due to open by 2012. That said your post says three yrs and kiddies here don't even start Kindergarten until age 5 so lets not plan too far ahead!!! YOu also have the Tuscany Club which, I think does baby stuff (if it doesn't there are tons of other places to do things)It has playgrounds and crime is pretty non existent!! It is def NOT a happening metropolis but that said with a young baby you maybe too tired for that!!

The thing you might notice is that in the newer developments in Calgary they do pack the houses in. We just had some English friends over for a recce and they certainly did notice that. Frankly it just depends how much you want to spend!!

We are in Royal Oak which is just across Crowchild Trail from Tuscany(5 mins drive away in other words). If I can give you any other info OR if your wife wants someone just to have coffee with when you guys get here - just to stop her being isolated - feel free to PM me anytime..I know what moving with tiny babies is like - I have done it soooo often!! I have a two yr old and a five yr old who love babies!!!!

Good luck with it all...I would also just say that Calgary is a great city to be in with kids - there is a lot going on for all age groups
Lisa
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Tuscany is an area which will be on our shopping list when we land in August and we've visited the area a few times. I know one couple who live there and have a young daughter, and they say it's very family orientated.

Personally, I prefer the way some other communities look. The properties in our price range are not as attractive from the outside as those we're looking at in areas like Somerset. They also tend to have very little counter space in the kitchens, which is important to us!

You may already know that the C-Train is being extended up that way. A new station is opening at Crowfoot later this year, and an extension to Tuscany has been approved for completion in 2011).