Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

TTC Strike Saturday 26th April

TTC Strike Saturday 26th April

Old Apr 26th 2008, 4:13 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default TTC Strike Saturday 26th April

For those in Toronto, the Globe and Mail have just announced the TTC went on strike at midnight after rejecting their pay deal. Apparently the strike is for the safety of TTC drivers to protect them from angry TTC riders.

A strike will calm us all down, eh!

TTC strike announcement
Old Apr 26th 2008, 6:37 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TTC Strike Saturday 26th April

You have my sympathy. A transit strike is no fun. I hope for your sakes it's short lived.
x
Old Apr 26th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
For those in Toronto, the Globe and Mail have just announced the TTC went on strike at midnight after rejecting their pay deal. Apparently the strike is for the safety of TTC drivers to protect them from angry TTC riders.

A strike will calm us all down, eh!

TTC strike announcement

I wondered why it was quieter than normal this morning, I live directly opposite a bus stop! Luckily I have nowhere to go today if this was Monday morning I'd be very pissed off I don't drive so as far as I'm concerned the TTC is an essential service. My little boy would be happy though as he'd have no way to get to school.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

They will probably still be on strike on Monday as the Province is planning on legislating them back to work but they have to have parliament approve it and they won't meet on a weekend, so it will probably take at least Monday. Unfortunately the weather says it will rain on Monday, if the weather had been as wartm and sunny as lst few weeks I'd be happy they were on strike riding my bike, but that sucks in the rain.
Apparently whne they gave 48hrs notice last weekend before they reached a deal people started assaulting TTC operators just for threatening the strike, so they decided this time to go on strike immediately to avoid the 48hrs of abuse. If I was them I would do the same thing as they obviously don't care what the impact is on the city, they just want more money for themselves and to stop the city making any cost savings on the TTC. Kind of like a little kid screaming and refusing to do anything because they only got a regular candy bar instead of the big one they wanted.
Maybe they will think about introducing som eprivate bus companies on the major routes to offer up a little competition.
Old Apr 26th 2008, 9:14 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario Legislature is meeting tomorrow afternoon to discuss a to work order.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 1:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Ontario Legislature is meeting tomorrow afternoon to discuss a to work order.
This is something that really bothers me about industrial disputes in Ontario, whenever anyone goes on strike the government legislates them back to work. Of course no one wants there to be strikes inconveniencing the public but, without an effective right to strike, what power does the working man have?
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:20 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is something that really bothers me about industrial disputes in Ontario, whenever anyone goes on strike the government legislates them back to work. Of course no one wants there to be strikes inconveniencing the public but, without an effective right to strike, what power does the working man have?
I think both sides are being childish here. The TTC should have given warning like they promised they would, instead they've lost any support they had with the public. The government is being a tad too harsh on this now instead of trying to discuss it.

A TTC driver was on CP24 stating that he had a cup of hot coffee thrown on him last week because they were just talking about a possible strike so I see why they did it like that. However last the public knew an agreement had pretty much been reached and then suddenly, no service.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like they're back to work I just saw a bus go by. Thank god I don't have to keep the boy off school tomorrow the weekend has been quiet long enough