Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The truth about winter in Canada.

The truth about winter in Canada.

Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The truth about winter in Canada.

Originally Posted by Dashie
I believe that's the way it is in a lot of fields. And not just in Canada. You could also do an internship to gain experience. Or look at the lesser paid jobs as a way to gain the experience that gets you a better salary. Experience, whichever way you get it, is at least as important as the qualification. It's the way it is unfortunately, not much mystery there. They want you to prove you're worth paying more.
Depends on the industry really, in mine experience doesn't mean too much when getting into management, degree and education trumps all. Most of my managers in the hotels I have worked at had no hotel experience when hired, they were recruited straight from college into management training programs, and well no degree means near impossible to move up.

I have a decade of hotel experience now, but I can't even manage to get interviews for anything beyond entry level, and trust me I have tried many a times to get above entry level in the hotel world.

Generally my managers and supervisors have less experience then I do, but they have something I don't, a degree.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Considering that the average is 2.21 m per year, I have my doubts on that figure.

The snowiest place in southern Ontario is Wiarton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiarton...hy_and_climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonqu...l_Park#Climate
Wikipedia knows all!
Old Apr 8th 2014, 5:41 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that the average is 2.21 m per year, I have my doubts on that figure.

The snowiest place in southern Ontario is Wiarton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiarton...hy_and_climate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonqu...l_Park#Climate
Doubt all you like. My source was The Friends of Algonquin Park.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Yup.

Over 1,000 centimetres (32.8 feet) of cumulative snowfall this winter and more is falling now.

The Friends of Algonquin Park

In the past 17 winters, the average cumulative snowfall has been 670 centimetres (~22 feet). The minimum cumulative snowfall was 242 centimetres (~8 feet) during winter 2006/07 and the maximum was 1060 centimetres (about 35 feet) during winter 2007/08. This winter is about 330 centimetres (~10 feet) more than average.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:19 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yup.

Over 1,000 centimetres (32.8 feet) of cumulative snowfall this winter and more is falling now.

The Friends of Algonquin Park

In the past 17 winters, the average cumulative snowfall has been 670 centimetres (~22 feet). The minimum cumulative snowfall was 242 centimetres (~8 feet) during winter 2006/07 and the maximum was 1060 centimetres (about 35 feet) during winter 2007/08. This winter is about 330 centimetres (~10 feet) more than average.
Is there a year by year breakdown listed anywhere for these past 17 winters? Apologies if I missed it.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 7:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Last winter (2012 - 2013) we also had 4x the normal snowfall. On this date last year there was 33cm on the ground; today just a trace. I know a few men who plow and haul snow and they said even though there were a couple of 35 degree days last summer the snow dump never completely melted, so at the bottom of this years pile there is still ice from 2012. I don't expect that will be of any comfort but it kept me off the street for a few minutes.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The only official weather station in the park is at the east gate and it has an average snowfall of 221 cm. To get 1000 cm in one winter would have made the headlines in a major way.

I've been to Crater Lake, Oregon which gets an average of 1238 cm a year and that is a snowy place..however, it rarely goes below -10. Typically most of the snow falls between 0 and -10 and Algonquin is often -20 and sometimes -30 and -35 overnight in the winter.

10 feet -120 inches - 300 cm seems more likely. Ottawa got 230 cm this winter so in my mind 1000 cm just doesn't computer.

Is there a weblink for the friends of Algonquin Park.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:17 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

The only official weather station in the park is at the east gate and it has an average snowfall of 221 cm. To get 1000 cm in one winter would have made the headlines in a major way.

I've been to Crater Lake, Oregon which gets an average of 1238 cm a year and that is a snowy place..however, it rarely goes below -10. Typically most of the snow falls between 0 and -10 and Algonquin is often -20 and sometimes -30 and -35 overnight in the winter.

10 feet -120 inches - 300 cm seems more likely. Ottawa got 230 cm this winter so in my mind 1000 cm just doesn't computer.

Well if you have been to Crater Lake then The Friends must be wrong.
Old Apr 8th 2014, 10:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It's cummulative totals, as in how much snow fell over the whole season, not what is/was on the ground.

Perhaps everyone at Friends of Algonquin Park are wrong.

You can find them on FB or on the web - easy to do a google search.

Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's cummulative totals, as in how much snow fell over the whole season, not what is/was on the ground.

Perhaps everyone at Friends of Algonquin Park are wrong.

You can find them on FB or on the web - easy to do a google search.

Much as I loathe to look at Facebook...I find this comment telling on the comments when they posted about 1000 cm or so being recorded.

'This data is false and misleading. According to environment canada the weather station in nearby haliburton recorded 288.9cm of cumulative snowfall. I am currently going through historical data for the park and the greatest snowfall was 268.6cm in 1961-1962. I will post more data once I'm done.'

So nearby Haliburton has less than 30% of the Algonquin total. I think a decimal place got shifted somewhere.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:37 am
limey party pooper

Much as I loathe to look at Facebook...I find this comment telling on the comments when they posted about 1000 cm or so being recorded.

'This data is false and misleading. According to environment canada the weather station in nearby haliburton recorded 288.9cm of cumulative snowfall. I am currently going through historical data for the park and the greatest snowfall was 268.6cm in 1961-1962. I will post more data once I'm done.'

So nearby Haliburton has less than 30% of the Algonquin total. I think a decimal place got shifted somewhere.
If there is an error it won'T be a decimal place. 1metre of snow for the whole winter would be far too little.

The Friends gave comparison amounts for previous years, so whatever the error is they are repeating it.

I don'T really care that much but I do dislike being sent long winded private messages about snowfall.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

If there is an error it won'T be a decimal place. 1metre of snow for the whole winter would be far too little.

The Friends gave comparison amounts for previous years, so whatever the error is they are repeating it.

I don'T really care that much but I do dislike being sent long winded private messages about snowfall.
LOL
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound like a big number, I suspect there'll be a translation error somewhere. When the snow measurements were converted from inches to centimeters they probably divided instead of multiplying, or vice-versa.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 12:52 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by dbd33
That does sound like a big number, I suspect there'll be a translation error somewhere. When the snow measurements were converted from inches to centimeters they probably divided instead of multiplying, or vice-versa.
It does which is why I quoted it.

This link http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/record-snow...bury-1.1663094 says Muskoka has had record snowfall of 375cm but from the text it seems they are counting from the beginning of winter ie December rather than from first snowfall to last.
Old Apr 9th 2014, 1:34 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You all going to argue until it's all melted? :-)
Let's say there's a hypothetical place that gets in the range of 250 cm of snow in a year and they have a record snowfall that adds up to 1,000 cm, or 4x the norm (ballpark). as I mentioned yesterday we had a year like that 2012 - 2013 so I have no trouble believing it.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 9th 2014 at 1:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.