Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is This True about Alberta ?

Is This True about Alberta ?

Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is This True about Alberta ?

I read this on the Guardian board (www.guardian.co.uk/talk, International Folder, Canadian Election thread)

"Harper does not have a track record. However some indication of what to expect from Conservative polices can be had from the record of the Conservative provincial governments.

In Alberta, you pay three times as much as you should for natural gas ($10 per GJ instead of instead of $3 per GJ). The price when up because Klein introduced an artificial market. The market benefits the big oil companies, but does not benefit normal people.

You pay twice as much as you should for electricity. The price went up when Klein sold off the government's generating plants.

You pay 50% more than before for automobile insurance. This was caused by introducing American style litigation practices.

Roads cost more to build and to maintain because Klein sold off the government’s construction equipment.

You pay a per capita tax – the health insurance charge --- that other Canadians do not pay.

You pay $20 per day to go camping in sites that used to be free – public campgrounds were “sold” = “given away for nothing” to private operators. Klein privatized vehicle registration. Now you pay an extra $7 to pay you vehicle taxes. Before privatization, the administrative cost was $4 per vehicle. There are many other examples of new user fees.

Tuition at the public universities has increased significantly.

The oil sands would never have been developed without almost a billion tax dollars being spend on process research. The oil sands produce 25% of Alberta’s oil. The equity structure that would have given the people a fair return on their investment was transferred to the big companies. Royalty was reduced to almost zero. The oil sands provide less than 1% of Alberta’s resource revenue."

I was taken aback by the idea of privatising camp sites. Is it true ?
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is This True about Alberta ?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I read this on the Guardian board (www.guardian.co.uk/talk, International Folder, Canadian Election thread)

"Harper does not have a track record. However some indication of what to expect from Conservative polices can be had from the record of the Conservative provincial governments.

In Alberta, you pay three times as much as you should for natural gas ($10 per GJ instead of instead of $3 per GJ). The price when up because Klein introduced an artificial market. The market benefits the big oil companies, but does not benefit normal people.
Even assuming all this is true, if Alberta is such an awful place then why are so many people moving there?

Alberta is not the only Conservative provincial goverment, there are four other provinces with Conservative governments, plus BC and Quebec where it's de-facto 'conservative' despite a Liberal nametag.

Jeremy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Even assuming all this is true, if Alberta is such an awful place then why are so many people moving there?

Alberta is not the only Conservative provincial goverment, there are four other provinces with Conservative governments, plus BC and Quebec where it's de-facto 'conservative' despite a Liberal nametag.

Jeremy
So, you don't know ?

It's a stretch to think of the Quebec government as being at all conservative but the point about Harper is that he's not a traditional conservative. Klein is the only Canadian political figure who is anywhere near as right wing as Harper and Klein's not even a fundy.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 21st 2006 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

You pay twice as much as you should for electricity. The price went up when Klein sold off the government's generating plants.

You pay 50% more than before for automobile insurance. This was caused by introducing American style litigation practices.

Roads cost more to build and to maintain because Klein sold off the government’s construction equipment.

You pay a per capita tax – the health insurance charge --- that other Canadians do not pay.

You pay $20 per day to go camping in sites that used to be free – public campgrounds were “sold” = “given away for nothing” to private operators. Klein privatized vehicle registration. Now you pay an extra $7 to pay you vehicle taxes. Before privatization, the administrative cost was $4 per vehicle. There are many other examples of new user fees.

The oil sands would never have been developed without almost a billion tax dollars being spend on process research. The oil sands produce 25% of Alberta’s oil. The equity structure that would have given the people a fair return on their investment was transferred to the big companies. Royalty was reduced to almost zero. The oil sands provide less than 1% of Alberta’s resource revenue."

This got me thinking, dbd - and whilst trying to find out about the camp site issue (can't find any "free" as of yet, though there are plenty still owned by the province, and very cheap to stay at) I found this interesting link.

http://ralphsworld.blogspot.com/

But I'd have to say yes to noticing some increases on a personal level - especially the car insurance, natural gas, and electricity.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Not sure about camp sites as we haven't camped yet.

But based on the rest of the article I would say it's untrue.

Natural gas and electricty are national/international markets and the price before the Alberta rebate is almost the same if not cheaper than in other provinces.

Car insurance is pricey but, based on previous discussions on this board, cheaper than other Canadian cities.

Health care costs about $80 per family per month for the standard coverage.

The stuff about the oilsands is wrong too.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 7:52 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ

Jeremy
In the Canadian context the "Conservative" nametag can be confusing.

The "Conservative" label may describe someone who is (1) socially conservative but not fiscally conservative, (2) fiscally conservative but not socially conservative, or (3) both socially and fiscally conservative.

Broadly speaking, the various versions of Conservative parties that existed before the current Reform / Alliance / Conservative phenomenon were populated by so called "Red Tories" and "Blue Tories." The Red Tories believed in compassionate conservatism, while the Blue Tories were cut of Reagan / Thatcher cloth.

The federal and provincial versions of the Conservative Party in the pre-Reform / Alliance era differed from each other in the extent to which they were dominated by Red Tories or Blue Tories. Not only was there a difference between the provincial parties as a collective and the federal party, but there also were differences amongst provincial parties.

In Eastern Canada the provincial versions of the Conservative Party have been so "compassionate" in their leanings that in some cases they have been more "compassionate" than federal Liberal governments that have been their contemporaries.

Some of the Red Tories in federal politics were so "compassionate" that, when the old Conservative Party broke up in 2003 and merged with Reform / Alliance, those Red Tories actually jumped to the NDP ship rather than the Liberal ship, if you can believe it.

Some provincial versions of the Conservative Party have metamorphosed over time. When I arrived in Alberta in 1977, the province's premier was Peter Lougheed. Although he was a Conservative, he was a Red Tory, and his brand of conservatism was different from that of our current premier, Ralph Klein.

In post #26 of this thread, I provided quite a detailed history of the Conservative Party in Canada.

Anyway, what does this have to do with the excerpt that I quoted from your post? Oh yes, my point is that, just because there are other provinces that nominally have Conservative governments, it does not necessarily follow that those governments are all that similar to Alberta's conservative government.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Calgal
This got me thinking, dbd - and whilst trying to find out about the camp site issue (can't find any "free" as of yet, though there are plenty still owned by the province, and very cheap to stay at) I found this interesting link.

http://ralphsworld.blogspot.com/

But I'd have to say yes to noticing some increases on a personal level - especially the car insurance, natural gas, and electricity.
Love the pictures !

Car insurance in Alberta is tightly regulated by the government so, if it's expensive, that's not a result of neo-con policies. I'm specifically interested in the camp sites as privatising them would, I think, be the ultimate in ideologically driven silliness. Even the US National Parks Service hasn't been sold off.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Not sure about camp sites as we haven't camped yet.

But based on the rest of the article I would say it's untrue.

Natural gas and electricty are national/international markets and the price before the Alberta rebate is almost the same if not cheaper than in other provinces.

Car insurance is pricey but, based on previous discussions on this board, cheaper than other Canadian cities.

Health care costs about $80 per family per month for the standard coverage.

The stuff about the oilsands is wrong too.
But there is a healthcare premium ? I suppose that's not practically any different than having a small sales tax but it's not very Canadian.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Love the pictures !

I'm specifically interested in the camp sites as privatising them would, I think, be the ultimate in ideologically driven silliness. Even the US National Parks Service hasn't been sold off.
In Banff and Jasper National Parks, the camp sites are run by Parks Canada and are not privately run.

Not sure about the Provincial parks though.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:33 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It's a stretch to think of the Quebec government as being at all conservative

Wasn't the current Premier of Quebec a former federal Conservative minister (and leader?)

Jeremy
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm specifically interested in the camp sites as privatising them would, I think, be the ultimate in ideologically driven silliness. Even the US National Parks Service hasn't been sold off.
Agreed, however I believe the concept is that the Provincial Parks are still very much Provincially owned but some of (perhaps all) the campgrounds are operated by persons (Facility Operators) who lease them from the government.

The rates they can charge are regulated by the government and vary from $5.00 - $17.00/night for a Basic campsite.
Base rate established by department/facility operator based upon market conditions, plus additional services.

I don't agree with this concept, but then again this is Ralph's world and not all of us that live here agree with it.

I don't camp and can't guarantee that this is totally correct but I think this is how it works.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

So, you don't know ?

It's a stretch to think of the Quebec government as being at all conservative but the point about Harper is that he's not a traditional conservative. Klein is the only Canadian political figure who is anywhere near as right wing as Harper and Klein's not even a fundy.
It is not stretch at all. Jean Charest is the premier of Quebec and used to be the Conservative leader in Ottawa. Look to the party workers on the Conservative team in Quebec and you find Quebec Liberals. The Liberal party in BC is that in name only as was pointed out. These people are not federal Liberals. Jean Charest has endorsed Steven Harper as has the ADQ.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

But there is a healthcare premium ? I suppose that's not practically any different than having a small sales tax but it's not very Canadian.
The Ontario Liberals introduced a health tax levy in 2004. I pay the max of $900 per year. Oh, Yeah, the Liberals collect this tax with your income tax so it is nice and hidden. I am not sure where some people are getting their information with respect to Conservative polices and the Alberta bashing doesn't make any sense.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JAJ
Wasn't the current Premier of Quebec a former federal Conservative minister (and leader?)

Jeremy
I believe he was a Progressive Conservative, that's not at all the same as being a Conservative. Consider Liberal in Australia vs. Liberal in the UK vs. Liberal in Canada.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:39 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Hangman
I don't agree with this concept, but then again this is Ralph's world and not all of us that live here agree with it.
We may all be living in it come Tuesday. Except CWEMM02, of course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.