Is it true?

Old Feb 24th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Is it true?

I have just read an advert in a national newspaper 'Forget points tests and skills assessments - just start work now!' Its an immigration agency (i think) stating that you can learn a new skill while living and working over there. No need to wait years to get there.
Would anyone have any experience of this they could share with me?
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:13 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it true?

We've had several forum members who have come here and stated that they've signed up with Such And Such company that will enroll them in a college where they'll do a plumbing course (or a course in some other trade). This company then will arrange a job and a temporary work permit for them. As far as I remember, all such arrangements that we've heard about have been in British Columbia.

Several of us have said to those people, "That sounds interesting. Do come back and tell us how it's going." According to my recollection, none of them has come back and reported on their experience. I wish they had.

Anyway, without more detailed information (and especially without feedback from someone who actually has done it), the whole thing sounds suspect to me. I don't see how the graduates of these programs could get temporary work permits. Ordinarily only experienced journeymen can get their qualifications recognized by one or other of the Canadian provinces and get work permits. Usually apprentices are not eligible for work permits.

Another thing that I've noticed is that these companies charge megabucks, and I mean megabucks.

Another thing to be aware of is that it is illegal, in several Canadian provinces, for an employment agency to charge a job seeker a fee for finding him/her a job. Usually it's the employer that pays the employment agency's fee. But there are employment agencies that are flagrantly violating this law. For example, there are UK-based employment agencies that are charging British job seekers fees to get hooked up with Canadian employers. The provincial laws that prohibit this activity prohibit it with respect to any job in the relevant province, regardless of the employment agency's location and regardless of the job seekers' location.

I realize the issue of employment agencies is slightly tangential to the issue of trade courses. But I suspect they may be related. The companies that are charging for the courses may be doing that as a subtle way of charging for employment agency fees that don't look like employment agency fees. I don't know that for sure, but all of this just does not pass my "sniff test."

If you want to find out more about the employment agency part of it, read the Wiki article called Employment Agencies' Fees.

Anyway, back to the courses. All I can tell you is that I don't recall anyone who has done it coming back and reporting to us how it's going or how it went.

If you want to find legitimate ways of fast-tracking your entry to Canada, read the Wiki called Getting into Canada quickly.
x
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it true?

Originally Posted by Patsy
I have just read an advert in a national newspaper 'Forget points tests and skills assessments - just start work now!' Its an immigration agency (i think) stating that you can learn a new skill while living and working over there. No need to wait years to get there.
Would anyone have any experience of this they could share with me?

Have a look at this thread and read about Cliveo's plans and Andrew Miller's comments and response very carefully to see if they would apply in your situation as it sounds as though it might be the same sort of thing. http://http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=515089

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 24th 2008 at 6:29 pm.