Is it true?

Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:00 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Is it true?

Hi there,

Was re reading my "Moving to Canada" books (again ) at the weekend and came across a bit that said Canadians only have two weeks holiday a year?? I know that holidays can differ depending on the job that you're doing but was just wondering if this was true? and what the average was? Need to let the old friends and family know, how often they can come & have free holidays
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:16 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all
Default Re: Is it true?

That seems to be about right- 10 days a year, so not much at all unfortunately! I think some of the people who post here work in international companies and so get about 25 days that way.

(If I ever get out there I don't plan to spend every single day of my holiday allowance looking after visitors! They can stay at my place and we can meet up in the evenings, but having to babysit them every day would drive me nuts anyway, so I don't think it's such a bad thing !)
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:29 am
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
That seems to be about right- 10 days a year, so not much at all unfortunately! I think some of the people who post here work in international companies and so get about 25 days that way.

(If I ever get out there I don't plan to spend every single day of my holiday allowance looking after visitors! They can stay at my place and we can meet up in the evenings, but having to babysit them every day would drive me nuts anyway, so I don't think it's such a bad thing !)
Guess I'll have to make the most of my weekends! Fair point about the visitors, all my friends are in couples so I'm sure they can entertain themselves during the day
Old Feb 20th 2006, 8:37 am
Just Joined

dandersen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tigger1
Hi there,

Was re reading my "Moving to Canada" books (again ) at the weekend and came across a bit that said Canadians only have two weeks holiday a year?? I know that holidays can differ depending on the job that you're doing but was just wondering if this was true? and what the average was? Need to let the old friends and family know, how often they can come & have free holidays
"Except as otherwise provided by or under this Division, every employee is entitled to and shall be granted a vacation of at least two weeks with vacation pay and, after six consecutive years of employment by one employer, at least three weeks with vacation pay in respect of every year of employment by that employer."

Plus of course general holidays. I got that information from the google cache of http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/L-2/
The page is being updated at the moment so maybe they'll up the vacation time

I was amazed to see how much time off Brits get. Canadian policy seems just like what I get here in the states. I think employers get to choose whether or not you get paid sick days or not. I'll be interested to see if anyone says that my (in the states) current 12 sick days (6 of which can be arbitrary "personal days") is common practice.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

scribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of lightscribe123 is a glorious beacon of light

In the UK we are wrapped up in a nice warm employment law blanket.

We started our leave year in January and I have 31 days. 3 of those were purchased off the company (they also let you sell up to 3), so it really is only 28. I think I can be off sick for 3 months on full pay, and then an insurance policy taken out on our behalf by the company allows us full pay until we return to work, retire or die (whichever happens first).

The 10 days holiday thing is going to be a big shock to the system if I ever get over there. I'm about to take a week off to get some decorating done. If I did that in Canada that would be half my holiday

Chris

Originally Posted by dandersen
"Except as otherwise provided by or under this Division, every employee is entitled to and shall be granted a vacation of at least two weeks with vacation pay and, after six consecutive years of employment by one employer, at least three weeks with vacation pay in respect of every year of employment by that employer."

Plus of course general holidays. I got that information from the google cache of http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/L-2/
The page is being updated at the moment so maybe they'll up the vacation time

I was amazed to see how much time off Brits get. Canadian policy seems just like what I get here in the states. I think employers get to choose whether or not you get paid sick days or not. I'll be interested to see if anyone says that my (in the states) current 12 sick days (6 of which can be arbitrary "personal days") is common practice.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

twinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant futuretwinmum has a brilliant future

If you wanted extra time off would you be allowed to take unpaid leave?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:36 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just a Canadian thing, rather it is a North American thing. US companies are the same.

It is quite usual to start off in a company with two weeks holidays in addition to the 11-13 stat. holiday days observed. Extra holiday as in the UK is gained through longer service.

However its is also entirely possible to get more vacation time as part of the negotiation process over a new job. e.g. offer you 2 and ask for 3 etc etc. In both the job's I've had since being here I have negotiated 4 weeks vacation. Maybe I'm lucky or just a good negotiator! It does depend on what sort of job, level and how much you are needed. I have played extra vacation time against salary, e.g. ok if you wont pay me an extra x dollars can I have another week off?

Franky its one of those things you either deal with and accept in moving here or you go live somewhere else. You are not going to change an entire culture by complaining about it. (Not an accusation at you but rather an observation on the responses to this subject that come up time and time again.)

AX
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:39 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Two weeks is still fairly typical I think. You get more if you work for government.

I believe that it is also common for employers to expect new employees not to take any leave during the first year.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I believe that it is also common for employers to expect new employees not to take any leave during the first year.
Mebbe on the mainland, but not here. Admittedly taking 2 weeks a month into the job probably would be frowned upon but that would be true in the Uk too.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:00 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Souvenir

In that scenario would it mean that you could carry your entire (swoon) 10 days over into the next year, or that you just wouldn't get any holiday allowance that year?
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:34 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Its not just a Canadian thing, rather it is a North American thing. US companies are the same.

It is quite usual to start off in a company with two weeks holidays in addition to the 11-13 stat. holiday days observed. Extra holiday as in the UK is gained through longer service.

However its is also entirely possible to get more vacation time as part of the negotiation process over a new job. e.g. offer you 2 and ask for 3 etc etc. In both the job's I've had since being here I have negotiated 4 weeks vacation. Maybe I'm lucky or just a good negotiator! It does depend on what sort of job, level and how much you are needed. I have played extra vacation time against salary, e.g. ok if you wont pay me an extra x dollars can I have another week off?

Franky its one of those things you either deal with and accept in moving here or you go live somewhere else. You are not going to change an entire culture by complaining about it. (Not an accusation at you but rather an observation on the responses to this subject that come up time and time again.)

AX
Well as I never really take my holiday in the UK & always end up with loads to try & carry over, not too bothered! People are just going to have to visit me so I don't waste any holiday
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:48 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twinmum
If you wanted extra time off would you be allowed to take unpaid leave?
Maybe, but probably not as there is a huge knock on effect with extra overtime or temps to cover for you, and a lot of "me too"ing

3 weeks is becoming more common in salaried jobs. Certainly worth trying to negotiate for at the hiring stage.

Watch out for "holiday pay" though, it means that often although you can take 2 weeks vacation, you may not have paid enough into your holiday pay account by the time you take your holiday to actually get two weeks pay for the time you take off

Last edited by iaink; Feb 20th 2006 at 2:26 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

In Saskatchewan the law is - a day and a quarter per month. That is how you earn your holidays. That means 15 days after working for a year. I believe after 10 years it goes up to 4 weeks holidays. It can be more but it can't be less than that.

I should mention that the link that danderson posted was a federal government law. I am pretty sure even in Saskatchewan, if you work for the federal government you get 2 weeks. My son once worked in a grain elevator and they were covered by federal law so they only got two weeks.

Last edited by Purley; Feb 20th 2006 at 2:23 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 2:44 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I used to feel I had too much holiday too, in the UK. It was nice to have a 2 weeks holiday in the summer, and especially when the kids were younger the odd week when they were off (half-terms especially) needed to be covered between us. Or if they were off-school, sick,.... but then my mum used to help out. They went to play-schemes at Easter and in the summer.

But latterly I always seemed to find I still had 3 weeks or more to take after Christmas, and then we were leaned on as we were only supposed to have a week between Jan and April! I dunno ..... I didn't really feel I wanted it, and anyway I would have to work twice as hard in the week before to make sure there were no loose ends whilst I was off, then even harder on my return to catch up, as nobody did my work for me when I was away! It never seemed worth the hassle!

The job I'm about to start .... y'know I'm not even sure what the holiday entitlements are ... probably I don't get any as I am employed as "casual" to start with. However, full-time is 40 hours a week, in fourteen 7.5 hr days ...... you get every third Friday off anyway! So I'm not worried about days off
Old Feb 20th 2006, 5:42 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Mebbe on the mainland, but not here. Admittedly taking 2 weeks a month into the job probably would be frowned upon but that would be true in the Uk too.
You can't take your annual leave without working that year first in most cases here - and then it can be summarily cancelled or you can be bumped by a "senior" employee wanting the same time off. Be warned that you get no recompense if you have booked flights and then lose the time off. In BC, its considered your problem. This has happened to me twice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.