Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trucking with partner

Trucking with partner

Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trucking with partner

Hi everyone thank you for all your replies is the past to different questions I have had. With all your information I have been able to get a 2 year open work visa . Contact trucking firms and trainers ( I am a long haul trucker ) and decided to go to steinbach Manitoba . ( motor city )

My question I have is for any temporary foreign workers who are trucking in Canada and have to cross in to USA in their truck with freight , it obiously would not be a problem for me as the truck driver to cross to USA with freight but if my wife was in the truck with me ( she would be on a Canadian holiday visa as she missed out on the ice 2 year working holiday visa which I have due to her being a year to old to apply she has passport and no criminal or other conviction etc ) would it get complicated at the border for her or would it only be filling out a visa slip at every border crossing ?. Would it also hold up my crossing of the border time wise enough to annoy any employer

Thank in advance to this great resource and community
Old Nov 6th 2015, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trucking with partner

Originally Posted by bigreduk
Hi everyone thank you for all your replies is the past to different questions I have had. With all your information I have been able to get a 2 year open work visa . Contact trucking firms and trainers ( I am a long haul trucker ) and decided to go to steinbach Manitoba . ( motor city )

My question I have is for any temporary foreign workers who are trucking in Canada and have to cross in to USA in their truck with freight , it obiously would not be a problem for me as the truck driver to cross to USA with freight but if my wife was in the truck with me ( she would be on a Canadian holiday visa as she missed out on the ice 2 year working holiday visa which I have due to her being a year to old to apply she has passport and no criminal or other conviction etc ) would it get complicated at the border for her or would it only be filling out a visa slip at every border crossing ?. Would it also hold up my crossing of the border time wise enough to annoy any employer

If your wife did accompany you then she would need to ask for a 2 year visitor record which can be issued at the same time you get your work permit at the POE if she is with you. No charge for the VR.
As for crossing into the USA you wouldn't be eligible for the FAST programme for commercial truck drivers or NEXUS. you might be eligible for a B1 visa from the USA.
Basically she would need to apply for the I94 waiver which cost $6 USD and valid for 90 days or see if eligible for a B2 visa from the USA

How Do I Enter the United States as a Commercial Truck Driver? | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...mmigrant-visas

it will depend on what timelines your employer gives you and how they feel about it especially if no B1 or B2 visas issued. I have seen people wait over an hour just to be issued the I94 waiver. Also she could apply for ESTA and use that for bio data for the US to issue the I94 waiver. ESTA is $14 for 2 yrs and the form can be used at land borders for quicker processing but the I94 waiver and payment of $6 is still required.

https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
Old Nov 6th 2015, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

bigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond reputebigreduk has a reputation beyond repute

great information , thank you so much , I was unaware of the 2 year visitor record that it existed . I wil look in to it as it would mean my wife would not have to leave canada after 6 months .
Old Nov 7th 2015, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

My first company here had maybe 30 - 40 drivers on TWP's that had their wives with them in the truck crossing the border weekly, never heard of any problems crossing.
Make sure your company knows that she will be in the truck with you, most companies allow it, some don't.
Old Nov 7th 2015, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bigreduk

Never normally a problem I know a few driver on TWP that take there wife or girlfriend with them. Me and my partner were trucking all over the USA and canada she had a 6 months visitors visa which she then extended and there was never any issues crossing the border. Just on a different note make sure your wife take out or has her own medical insurance cover that will cover her whilst in the USA most trucking companies do not cover spouses.
Old Nov 20th 2015, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

deerhunter74 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought Canada was in a deep recession ' chances of getting an LMIA are quite slim
Old Nov 20th 2015, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deerhunter74
I thought Canada was in a deep recession ' chances of getting an LMIA are quite slim
It appears the OP has an open work permit so therefore will not need a LMIA.