Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Trip to U.S. on candian PR card/UK Passport

Trip to U.S. on candian PR card/UK Passport

Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of
Default Trip to U.S. on candian PR card/UK Passport

Am making my first trip to the states next week using my canadian permenant resident card and my UK passport.

Just wondered if anyone else has done this. Any issues? Problems? Tips? etc.
Old Sep 1st 2007, 7:48 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to U.S. on candian PR card/UK Passport

i'm quite sure that this has been discussed before... did you try the search function?
Old Sep 1st 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Amber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really niceAmber and Chris is just really nice

You can't get it right! Just remember that and you'll be fine. I have done it several times as my sis lives in the USA.

The bottom line is take both and have both out to show border officials/ immigration people. I had had people tell me I should only have one out - ie choose one to travel on and use that. But invariably if I have my PR card out and they see I am European they ask to see my passport as well. And vice versa.

I took a trip to the US see my sister soon after getting my PR card. I had 30mins in with a US immigration official trying to get me to admit that I was coming to the US illegally to live, because I had been in Canada only a short time! He didn't believe me when I said I owned a house in Saskatoon (in fact he implied that Saskatoon was a made up place).

In short you are likely to get a bit of trouble, it has happened more or less every time I've been through, you tend to have to answer quite a few questions. Probably more than another Canadian but no different from how they approach people from other countries at US immigration really. You will still need to get the green visa waiver card and hand it in when you come back to Canada.

On that same trip, when I came back into Canada, the Canadian immigration official gve me a big smile when he saw my PR card and said "Hey! Welcome back!" Reminds you you definitely picked the right country!
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

That's U.S. immigration for you. Totally OTT with tourists and visitors while a real immigration crisis is going on that they don't know what to do about. They are hilarious.

Thanks! I'll be ready for them.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:46 am

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris
You can't get it right! Just remember that and you'll be fine. I have done it several times as my sis lives in the USA.

The bottom line is take both and have both out to show border officials/ immigration people. I had had people tell me I should only have one out - ie choose one to travel on and use that. But invariably if I have my PR card out and they see I am European they ask to see my passport as well. And vice versa.

I took a trip to the US see my sister soon after getting my PR card. I had 30mins in with a US immigration official trying to get me to admit that I was coming to the US illegally to live, because I had been in Canada only a short time! He didn't believe me when I said I owned a house in Saskatoon (in fact he implied that Saskatoon was a made up place).
In short you are likely to get a bit of trouble, it has happened more or less every time I've been through, you tend to have to answer quite a few questions. Probably more than another Canadian but no different from how they approach people from other countries at US immigration really. You will still need to get the green visa waiver card and hand it in when you come back to Canada.

On that same trip, when I came back into Canada, the Canadian immigration official gve me a big smile when he saw my PR card and said "Hey! Welcome back!" Reminds you you definitely picked the right country!
Blasphemy
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:10 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

:curse: We'll gang up and get them all once you get over there Al
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:15 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
:curse: We'll gang up and get them all once you get over there Al
Good idea, watch out here we come
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Any issues? Problems? Tips? etc.
Take a credit card or 6 USD cash. And if you're not going back to the US within the 90days of your I94w validity, you need to specifically ask the Canadian officer you get going back into Canada to take it out - they don't usually unless you ask.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amber and Chris
in fact he implied that Saskatoon was a made up place).
The same people who think the capital is Toronto.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I found it easier when I had PR as I was entering as a British Citizen and just needed the PR card for coming back to Canada to show I was allowed to live here. It was more confusing when I went last time with a UK passport and a Canadian Citizenship card, because you are trying to enter as a Canadian Citizen so they want to see a Canadian passport (at the airport) but you only have a UK one so then they get confused.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

anona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the roughanona? is a jewel in the rough

Yep, same here. I'm in the US right now and some people (American) asked me "is Edmonton a place or a country?"...

Originally Posted by rwin
The same people who think the capital is Toronto.