Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tricky question for you?!

Tricky question for you?!

Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:10 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tricky question for you?!

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle
Absolute nonsense - I have found Canadian produce to be far less superior than the stuff I used to buy in Sainsburys. It's not uncommon for me to find mouldy, bruised and marked fruit and veg. Not what I expected at all!

Food can be sold when it is out of date, meat can be sold with no date on whatsoever. Unexpected things [like sausages] are full of sugar, and the sodium levels are far higher than the UK. I find both the quality and choice of produce to be far less than I had in the UK.

Canadian food stinks
and the meat is pumped full of hormones which were banned in the Uk 25 years ago! oh and they still put things like tartrazine and sodium benezonate in drinks and sweets again banned in the UK years ago.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 7:36 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jeannie in a bottle
Absolute nonsense - I have found Canadian produce to be far less superior than the stuff I used to buy in Sainsburys. It's not uncommon for me to find mouldy, bruised and marked fruit and veg. Not what I expected at all!

Food can be sold when it is out of date, meat can be sold with no date on whatsoever. Unexpected things [like sausages] are full of sugar, and the sodium levels are far higher than the UK. I find both the quality and choice of produce to be far less than I had in the UK.

Canadian food stinks
the UK radiates load of "fresh" food to stop it going moldy, perhaps canada does not? i was once a butcher, i now never eat processed foods, sausages, burgers, mince (unless I do my own) because I know what goes in it. The company i use to work for was Dewhurst, gone now, like so many other butchers. Take the advice of a former butcher, do not eat the above!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iaink
On the other hand my car insurance is 10 times more ($2k+ a year for 2 cars, with 10+ years good record here), I have to drive twice as far at least to get to anywhere worth going to, and there are no affordable small cars with engines that get 60MPG. My property taxes are more than council tax, and a small chunk of lamb costs so much that I cant remember the last time I even took the plunge, and a cheap bottle of wine in $9, but not really worth drinking, so you end up spending $15.

Its swings and roundabouts
The above is largely what my own comment would have been.
Cars are expensive to run - especially in areas where Winter road treatment causes cars to rust away so quickly. High initial purchase cost and short lifetime.
I generally find food expensive, and of lower quality than in the UK. The price of chicken ATM is ridiculous! And anyone tried making lasagne out of that weird yellow stuff we call cheese? Doesn't do what cheese should do when baked. I have found a few Malbecs I like for $9 though and I try to buy meat direct from farm shops where you know how it's raised. Got a quarter cow on order now...
Old Mar 30th 2012, 9:57 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bryandd
I think the food in Canada is more expensive because it's of a better quality than the stuff you get here in the UK...especially produce and the like.
Brilliant stuff.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 10:38 am
Get me out of here ...

jeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond reputejeannie in a bottle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Brilliant stuff.