Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tremblant and Immigration Query

Tremblant and Immigration Query

Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Tremblant and Immigration Query

Everyone

I had my medical on 13th October. I'm very keen to find out how long other people have waited before receiving passport requests and then getting the actual visa. I know it is a length of string question but there is a good reason.

I'll be landing and returning home before going out for good in early 2007. If I can get everything sorted before the end of the ski season, I'll spend 3 weeks in Toronto with friends and a week up at Tremblant snowboarding.

Anyone have any good experiences of the resort, costs involved (for budget purposes), length of season etc? I'm looking to take a short break (4 or 5 days) there during the week, before heading to Montreal for a weekend and then heading back to Toronto.

Any info would be well received.

Thank you.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 5:38 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tremblant and Immigration Query

I had my medicals Oct 20, and got my PPR Monday last week. Didn't get my passport and COPR back yet, but not expecting them till next week.

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
Everyone

I had my medical on 13th October. I'm very keen to find out how long other people have waited before receiving passport requests and then getting the actual visa. I know it is a length of string question but there is a good reason.

I'll be landing and returning home before going out for good in early 2007. If I can get everything sorted before the end of the ski season, I'll spend 3 weeks in Toronto with friends and a week up at Tremblant snowboarding.

Anyone have any good experiences of the resort, costs involved (for budget purposes), length of season etc? I'm looking to take a short break (4 or 5 days) there during the week, before heading to Montreal for a weekend and then heading back to Toronto.

Thank you.
Old Nov 30th 2005, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

jcexit will become famous soon enough

Everyone

a week up at Tremblant snowboarding.

Thank you.
Great place, even for a non-skier such as myself.
http://www.tremblant.ca/index-e

Last edited by jcexit; Nov 30th 2005 at 7:33 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2005, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

simon_healy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wayne

Had my medical 6th Oct. still waiting for passport request also. Hoping to hear before Xmas but not counting on it. Would like to be out there for Feb 06.

Goodluck
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:01 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone

Thank you.
My reply from my Canadian Lawyer:

Please be advised that London has now reached the quota for the number of Permanent Residence Visas issued for 2005. This means that your file will be finalized in January-February 2006. I will advise you as soon as I have any information regarding your application.

Medicals on 12th September.

Had enough of the whole process. A country that wants more people but has quotas for visa issuance. Mixed messages. Will think seriously about writing to Lawyer and quitting the whole process. I have a life I'd like to get on with...somewhere
Old Dec 1st 2005, 4:10 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac

Please be advised that London has now reached the quota for the number of Permanent Residence Visas issued for 2005. This means that your file will be finalized in January-February 2006. I will advise you as soon as I have any information regarding your application.

Had enough of the whole process. A country that wants more people but has quotas for visa issuance. Mixed messages. Will think seriously about writing to Lawyer and quitting the whole process. I have a life I'd like to get on with...somewhere
Sorry to hear that. Not exactly a Christmas card, is it? <can we still use the C word?>

Don't give up now! You're British, remember? Admittedly, you may end up staying that way for longer than you anticipated.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

I'm sure you wont do that, not at this late stage. Thank you for the update. I know the feeling about living your life. Mine has been on hold for too long now.

Wayne
Old Dec 11th 2005, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

johnehsmith will become famous soon enough

I'm sure you wont do that, not at this late stage. Thank you for the update. I know the feeling about living your life. Mine has been on hold for too long now.

Wayne
Yeah, i know, quit the whole process cos you have to wait another month,
that would REALLY teach those authorities a thing or two.

In answer to your questions, It took me 12 months from doing my medical
to finally getting my passport stamped and arriving in canada as a
permanent resident. But then I do live in Montreal and quebec adds a slice
of its own red tape to the whole process.

I got a large brochure about tremblant with my saturday newspaper
thats got a few offers and so on, but if you wont be here till later on in
march i doubt that they will still apply then.
in short - visit tremblant.ca

Offer : anytime 50% off 3rd night or 5th night free.
3rd day of skiing free to dec16th, feb 26 - mar10 and apr3 to end of season.
other promos on tremblant.ca
Old Dec 11th 2005, 8:14 pm

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Not out to teach anybody anything with any of my comments (and that's coming from a teacher ).

One month here or there does not make a difference. However, what does is the comblined length of time from the start of this process to the end and then the sheer ridiculousness of having a yearly cut off in terms of quotas but still putting out the message that more and more immigrants are required for this, that and the next thing!

Heck, I thought the British loved their red tape and due process. Must be a heritage thing?

Enjoy Montreal

Originally Posted by johnehsmith
Yeah, i know, quit the whole process cos you have to wait another month,
that would REALLY teach those authorities a thing or two.

In answer to your questions, It took me 12 months from doing my medical
to finally getting my passport stamped and arriving in canada as a
permanent resident. But then I do live in Montreal and quebec adds a slice
of its own red tape to the whole process.

I got a large brochure about tremblant with my saturday newspaper
thats got a few offers and so on, but if you wont be here till later on in
march i doubt that they will still apply then.
in short - visit tremblant.ca

Offer : anytime 50% off 3rd night or 5th night free.
3rd day of skiing free to dec16th, feb 26 - mar10 and apr3 to end of season.
other promos on tremblant.ca
Old Dec 11th 2005, 8:54 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Madmac, all I can say is hang in there dude.

Been there, I still got the XXL Immigration Impatience T-shirt. and even tho I stopped wearing it a while back it still clutters up the closet. No fun at all is it, the big long PR sleep, and that letter probably comes as a kick in the conkers esp this time of year, but it'll pass.

It is all worth the [very] long wait but admittedly that wait does take a toll.
You are SO CLOSE to the light at the end of a very long dark musty foul smelling tunnel.

Hope you get chance for a chill out and look to 2006 for a bright new future - somewhere in Canada, sooner than you think.

Rich.
Old Dec 11th 2005, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

Not out to teach anybody anything with any of my comments (and that's coming from a teacher ).

One month here or there does not make a difference. However, what does is the comblined length of time from the start of this process to the end and then the sheer ridiculousness of having a yearly cut off in terms of quotas but still putting out the message that more and more immigrants are required for this, that and the next thing!

Heck, I thought the British loved their red tape and due process. Must be a heritage thing?

Enjoy Montreal
I do enjoy montreal, very much so, and its worth the wait.

It took me 12 months in total to immigrate and thats what i figured it would
take. Fact is there is no such thing as a red tape free immigration system;
every country in the world is beset by this but thats just the way it goes,
if it was too easy then you can imagine the consequences.
But you are right it does take a fairly long time to immigrate, and it did
annoy me at the time i must admit, especially as I was getting my
application sent back for minor infringements.

I personally have never heard of any 'message' that more and more immigrants
are required for any this that and the next thing. Seriously. They have
quotas to protect the social services. Canada really doesnt 'need' anyone,
its actually quite hard to find a job here, and theres no long list of employers
just waiting for people to come fill their vacancies.

Also, I dont know which visa you are applying for, but again I was unaware
of any quota, I am family class as my wife sponsored me; I would imagine
there could be a quota for some other classes though.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:05 pm

Many thanks for the words of wisdom Rich. I have no real option but to hang in as my wife would kill me (literally I'm sure) if I gave up. Just a bummer at this time of year. Ho hum

Also, I dont know which visa you are applying for, but again I was unaware
of any quota, I am family class as my wife sponsored me; I would imagine
there could be a quota for some other classes though.
Johnesmith: Didn't mean to cause offence - not into flaming and confrontation at all. Going with skilled worker class and my Fantastic (Monteral based ) solicitors told me they have reached their 2005 quota.

Now where did I put that bottle of Jack???

MM

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Hey Madmac, all I can say is hang in there dude.

Been there, I still got the XXL Immigration Impatience T-shirt. and even tho I stopped wearing it a while back it still clutters up the closet.

No fun at all is it, the big long PR sleep, and that letter probably comes as a kick in the conkers esp this time of year, but it'll pass.

It is all worth the [very] long wait but admittedly that wait does take a toll.
You are SO CLOSE to the light at the end of a very long dark musty foul smelling tunnel.

Hope you get chance for a chill out and look to 2006 for a bright new future - somewhere in Canada, sooner than you think.

Rich.
Old Dec 12th 2005, 4:22 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Tremblant and Immigration Query

I personally have never heard of any 'message' that more and more immigrants
are required for any this that and the next thing. Seriously. They have
quotas to protect the social services. Canada really doesnt 'need' anyone,
its actually quite hard to find a job here, and theres no long list of employers
just waiting for people to come fill their vacancies.
With respect, all very, very wrong and inaccurate. I'd suggest reading a wider spread of the media from many different sources to get more of an idea of the issues.

A few factors are baby boomer retirement, longevity of retirees, draw on pension funds, lack of labour and skills starving growth, price rises due to shortage of skills to deliver products and services, industry and unions both in collusion to screw up the recruitment of 'new' labour source, low productivity levels amongst Canadian workforce, etc.

There are many factors/problems which industry creates for itself as mentioned above plus lack of advertising for jobs for which there are qualified candidates out in the public domain, not recognising foreign experience and credentials, over-expectation on skills/quals/experience for specific jobs, "jobs for the boys and good 'ol Johnny" syndrome, poor entry level wages barely over mimimum wage, lack of workplace dynamics and diversity, and in some cases overt racism. Indusrty is struggling to cope with skills shortages and many are sitting on their asses rising market prices as a way to handle the situation (use real esate as an example but relative to many sectors).

For example, RCMP can't attract enough new officers, to replace looming retirement, yet clings to the need to employ Canadian Citizens, while city police forces, which can employ non-Canadians, do so, yet even then they can't attract enough new recruits.

Ever looked at how many nurses and teachers the key provinces are short of now, let alone the shortage projections ?

Or when the food sector can't get enough servers to wait tables, contractors can't recruit labour or even get people into trade schools ?

Not to mention at a higher level of overall complexity, free trade policies, restrictions of pricing of exported natural resources, all which negatively affect the Canadian economy.

Many many complex issues are on the table right now and/or looming large in the next few years, federal Gov't has already announced need for more immigration (an increased positive net migration figure) to address above plus other alarming trends in labour market.

One would have to have their head in the sand to think Canada to be Shangri-La where all was well, trade and industry was in fantastic shape and only that immigration can be sustained at current levels without serious harm to the medium term economy. You need to look well beyond the headline economic announcements and budget surpluses being posted by some provinces.

Rich.

Last edited by Rich_007; Dec 12th 2005 at 4:32 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rich_007
With respect, all very, very wrong and inaccurate. I'd suggest reading a wider spread of the media from many different sources to get more of an idea of the issues.

A few factors are baby boomer retirement, longevity of retirees, draw on pension funds, lack of labour and skills starving growth, price rises due to shortage of skills to deliver products and services, industry and unions both in collusion to screw up the recruitment of 'new' labour source, low productivity levels amongst Canadian workforce, etc.

There are many factors/problems which industry creates for itself as mentioned above plus lack of advertising for jobs for which there are qualified candidates out in the public domain, not recognising foreign experience and credentials, over-expectation on skills/quals/experience for specific jobs, "jobs for the boys and good 'ol Johnny" syndrome, poor entry level wages barely over mimimum wage, lack of workplace dynamics and diversity, and in some cases overt racism. Indusrty is struggling to cope with skills shortages and many are sitting on their asses rising market prices as a way to handle the situation (use real esate as an example but relative to many sectors).

For example, RCMP can't attract enough new officers, to replace looming retirement, yet clings to the need to employ Canadian Citizens, while city police forces, which can employ non-Canadians, do so, yet even then they can't attract enough new recruits.

Ever looked at how many nurses and teachers the key provinces are short of now, let alone the shortage projections ?

Or when the food sector can't get enough servers to wait tables, contractors can't recruit labour or even get people into trade schools ?

Not to mention at a higher level of overall complexity, free trade policies, restrictions of pricing of exported natural resources, all which negatively affect the Canadian economy.

Many many complex issues are on the table right now and/or looming large in the next few years, federal Gov't has already announced need for more immigration (an increased positive net migration figure) to address above plus other alarming trends in labour market.

One would have to have their head in the sand to think Canada to be Shangri-La where all was well, trade and industry was in fantastic shape and only that immigration can be sustained at current levels without serious harm to the medium term economy. You need to look well beyond the headline economic announcements and budget surpluses being posted by some provinces.

Rich.
Blimey, if you were running for government youd get my vote!

Im not the best informed about the state of the economy, i must admit,
but I do agree with what youve said here. Well written sir.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 2:30 pm
Lotus-eater

Blimey, if you were running for government youd get my vote!

Im not the best informed about the state of the economy, i must admit,
but I do agree with what youve said here. Well written sir.
Thank you for not taking offence at my rantings

Rich