Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the USA

Travelling to the USA

Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

saz1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to the USA

I will be travelling from Toronto to the USA by air next month (on a British passport, Canadian PR), I currently have an i-94 stapled into it that I got a couple of weeks ago when I crossed by land. Is this still valid for air travel now that the system is electronic? My other half has dual British/Canadian citizenship but only a British passport at the moment, does he need to go online and get ESTA? Whenever we cross by land they let him in as a Canadian as he has his birth certificate. Don't want to get held up at Pearson as customs is on this side.

Thanks!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to the USA

Originally Posted by saz1983
I will be travelling from Toronto to the USA by air next month (on a British passport, Canadian PR), I currently have an i-94 stapled into it that I got a couple of weeks ago when I crossed by land. Is this still valid for air travel now that the system is electronic? My other half has dual British/Canadian citizenship but only a British passport at the moment, does he need to go online and get ESTA? Whenever we cross by land they let him in as a Canadian as he has his birth certificate. Don't want to get held up at Pearson as customs is on this side.

Thanks!
Taken from the USCBP website
What documentation, identification, and paperwork does a Canadian citizen need to travel to the U.S.?

Travel by Air: All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or an Air NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

Canadian Citizens' passports are NOT required to be valid for six months past their intended date of departure. Their passports must only be valid up until the date of their intended departure.

Reading the above if no Canadian passport or NEXUS card but travelling on a UK passport then ESTA is required. They are more liberal at land borders for ID requirements.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1192
Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

You will both need a valid ESTA. I94 is only for land crossings. Some borders accept the ESTA and staple a white form into the passport instead of the green I94. But when traveling via air you will need to get the ESTA for both of you.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA's needed for both if you want to avoid potential problems. And your OH really should get a Canadian passport. 10 year Canadian passports are now available.