Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling to the us

Travelling to the us

Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

TRAX123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling to the us

Hi, we are permanent residents living in Canada, do we need to provide additional documentation at the border to cross into the US.

We will be travelling with my parents (British Citizens) what documentation do they need?

Also, our son is Canadian, can he just cross over with a birth certificate, (and us of course.)

We live in Milton, is there any other place close to the border we can cross into, other than Buffalo (we are thinking in terms of the shopping, and if any sightseeing available)

Also, does the allowances for bringing stuff back apply to the baby?

Thanks

Trax

Last edited by TRAX123; Jul 31st 2010 at 7:38 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling to the us

Originally Posted by TRAX123
Hi, we are permanent residents living in Canada, do we need to provide additional documentation at the border to cross into the US.

We will be travelling with my parents (British Citizens) what documentation do they need?

Also, our son is Canadian, can he just cross over with a birth certificate, (and us of course.)

We live in Milton, is there any other place close to the border we can cross into, other than Buffalo (we are thinking in terms of the shopping, and if any sightseeing available)

Thanks

Trax
You'll all need your passports and PR card for reference. You'll have to complete some paperwork and pay $6 US each.

Wouldn't your son need a passport?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 7:54 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Trax
You can cross at Lewiston Bridge or Rainbow Bridge, Niagara Falls.
Don't know about a baby allowance though. Some how I doubt it but I could well be wrong.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I dont know if my son would need a passport as he is Canadian. Not sure. Anyone?
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:01 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont know if my son would need a passport as he is Canadian. Not sure. Anyone?
Everybody needs a passport these days.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 9:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Either passport or an enhanced drivers license (maybe he is a bit young for that?)
Old Aug 1st 2010, 12:59 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Actually a Canadian 15 or under may present anything that proves that they are a Canadian Citizen e.g. Canadian birth certificate, citizenship card, etc provided they are travelling by land or water into the US.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho...nfant-eng.html

Last edited by BTJ; Aug 1st 2010 at 1:00 pm. Reason: clarified by land or water
Old Aug 1st 2010, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BTJ
Actually a Canadian 15 or under may present anything that proves that they are a Canadian Citizen e.g. Canadian birth certificate, citizenship card, etc provided they are travelling by land or water into the US.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho...nfant-eng.html
Good to know, thanks
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

That helps a lot,
Thank you
Old Aug 1st 2010, 5:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/whti-ivho/ls-tm-eng.html

Third from last paragraph.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 6:54 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have to do US-VISIT and fill in I-94Ws at secondary inspection and pay $6 each. Your son only requires his birth certificate.

Which everyone has already told you but I thought I'd chip in about the customs duty.

Return in less than 24 hours, the limit is zero. Over 24 hours is $50, over 48 hours is $450.

However bear in mind that anything made in the NAFTA area, Canada, the US and Mexico is exempt. This is why so many Canadians go to the supermarket in the US to buy food and fill up with gas there - it's exempt from import duty.

A lot of the guff in the CBSA guide on what you can bring back food-wise doesn't apply to stuff coming from the US with certain exceptions. You can usually bring back cheese, most vegetables and meat for example, be sure you're aware of the distinctions between the US and everywhere else.

The one thing that always blows my mind is the amount of stuff made in Canada that you can get in the US but not in Canada, e.g. regular Tic-Tacs. There's a soap I use that is made in Québec but I can't get it here.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
You'll have to do US-VISIT and fill in I-94Ws at secondary inspection and pay $6 each. Your son only requires his birth certificate.

Which everyone has already told you but I thought I'd chip in about the customs duty.

Return in less than 24 hours, the limit is zero. Over 24 hours is $50, over 48 hours is $450.

However bear in mind that anything made in the NAFTA area, Canada, the US and Mexico is exempt. This is why so many Canadians go to the supermarket in the US to buy food and fill up with gas there - it's exempt from import duty.
Exempt from import duty - but liable to GST?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 11:34 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
NAFTA only applies to items manufactured in the US or Mexico. Ontario has HST, so 13% tax would apply once your tax exempt limit is reached.

If something does not say where it is made, Canadian customs won't treat it under NAFTA. If it contains parts made outside of the US some officers will charge duty. How much depends on the tariff code.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 7:22 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Depends on what it is, most (but by no means all) ordinary food items are exempt from GST/HST which is what I was on about.

You don't need to be paranoid about same-day returns if all you're doing is going to the supermarket, basically. You might get hit up with a bit of GST/HST but most of your day-to-day shopping is going to be exempt.

I suppose you can check the GST guide for details but really the simplest way is to look on your receipt next time you go to the supermarket to get a general idea.

The GST/HST guide looks to me to be a carbon-copy of the VAT guidelines in the UK as well, they have the same stupid definition of when tax applies to cakes and cake mixes.