Reload this Page >

travelling to uk with pitbull cross advice

travelling to uk with pitbull cross advice

Old May 26th 2015, 12:20 am
Just Joined

bigjohn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling to uk with pitbull cross advice

Hi guys
I need good advice.My wife and I will probably be heading back to Scotland in the coming months.Whilst in Alberta we rescued a beautiful pitbull x who had been abandonded with 9 puppies.She is the sweetest,friendliest dog we have ever had and refer to her as "our little dog from heaven".
We are panicking and getting distressed to say the least that we might have to leave our baby in Canada because she might come under a banned breed.Any help and advice will be greatly recieved,as I have stated she is a cross breed.
Old May 26th 2015, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travelling to uk with pitbull cross advice

The following doesn't mention PB crossed breeds. There is an email address at the bottom...maybe they will be able to help you. Good luck,

https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs
Old May 26th 2015, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Thanks Jerseygirl will go onto site
Old May 26th 2015, 6:29 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigjohn
Hi guys
I need good advice.My wife and I will probably be heading back to Scotland in the coming months.Whilst in Alberta we rescued a beautiful pitbull x who had been abandonded with 9 puppies.She is the sweetest,friendliest dog we have ever had and refer to her as "our little dog from heaven".
We are panicking and getting distressed to say the least that we might have to leave our baby in Canada because she might come under a banned breed.Any help and advice will be greatly recieved,as I have stated she is a cross breed.
I suspect that your dog will come under the banned dogs list. Personally I wouldn't risk it, if anything happens and the dog is classed as a pitbull, then it will be put down, there is no appeal from that. I believe that pitbull crosses are included.
Old May 26th 2015, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I would phone and confirm before taking the chance.
There was a case just last year in the UK where the police were forced to have one of the dogs they were training as a sniffer dog put down because it was discovered to be a pitbull cross.
It made the news because it had featured on one of the reality type shows on training dogs(and I think that was when somebody had identified it as a pitbull cross) .
Old May 26th 2015, 8:58 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

The wording on the UK Government site is as follows:

Whether your dog is a banned type depends on what it looks like, rather than its breed or name.

If your dog matches many of the characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier, it may be a banned type.
The question is, what are the definitions they are using for "characteristics of a Pit Bull Terrier". DEFRA has produced a document for enforcers that guides them in what to look out for. On page 14, it lists a lot the characteristics of a "pit bull type".

The standard used to identify a PBT is set out in the American Dog Breeders Association standard of conformation as published in the Pit Bull Gazette, vol 1, issue 3 1977– please refer to this for the full description and also relevant cases as this is only a brief overview. Although the law does not require a suspected PBT to fit the description perfectly, it does require there to be a substantial number of characteristics present so that it can be considered ‘more’ PBT than any other type of dog.
  • When first viewing the dog it should appear square from the side, and its height to the top of its shoulders should be the same distance as from the front of its shoulder to the rear point of its hip.
  • Its height to weight ratio should be in proportion.
  • Its coat should be short and bristled, (single coated).
  • Its head should appear to be wedge shaped when viewed from the side and top but rounded when viewed from the front. The head should be around 2/3 width of shoulders and 25 per cent wider at cheeks than at the base of the skull (this is due to the cheek muscles).
  • The distance from the back of the head to between the eyes should be about equal to the distance from between the eyes to the tip of its nose.
  • The dog should have a good depth from the top of head to bottom of jaw and a straightbox-like muzzle.
  • Its eyes should be small and deep-set, triangular when viewed from the side and elliptical from front.
  • Its shoulders should be wider than the rib cage at the eighth rib.
  • Its elbows should be flat with its front legs running parallel to the spine.
  • Its forelegs should be heavy and solid and nearly twice the thickness of the hind legs just below the hock.
  • The rib cage should be deep and spring straight out from the spine, it should be elliptical in cross section tapering at the bottom and not ‘barrel’ chested.
  • It should have a tail that hangs down like an old fashioned ‘pump handle’ to around the hock.
  • It should have a broad hip that allows good attachment of muscles in the hindquarters and hind legs.
  • Its knee joint should be in the upper third of the dog’s rear leg, and the bones below that should appear light, fine and springy.
  • Overall the dog should have an athletic appearance, the standard makes no mention of ears, colour, height, or weight
As others have stated - there's no way out if you attempt to take her there and she's classified as a PBT.

Last edited by Photoplex; May 26th 2015 at 9:04 pm.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks photoplex going to go to the vet and rescue center we got her from to try and find out for sure.She is taller than pitbull with a jackrussell/greyhound face.I will do my dambdest as she is the best dog we have ever owned.Reading various sites it's all down to interpretation as even if I had a DNA test done they don't accept it.� ����
Old May 26th 2015, 9:05 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You know she is a pitbull cross, so you know that if there is any doubt they will quarantine the dog and do a DNA test, and that will show that she has pibull genes, therefore she will be put down. Don't risk it if you love your dog,
Old May 26th 2015, 9:09 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks photoplex going to go to the vet and rescue center we got her from to try and find out for sure.She is taller than pitbull with a jackrussell/greyhound face.I will do my dambdest as she is the best dog we have ever owned.Reading various sites it's all down to interpretation as even if I had a DNA test done they don't accept it.������
Print out that document I linked, read it, and take it with you. A vet will be able to run through the definitions on Page 14 and tell you in their professional opinion if your dogs matches a "substantial number of characteristics" listed.

Also, do not try and influence the vet with how pleasant and peaceful she is. They may empathize with you and lean towards what want to hear. You need an unbiased objective opinion.

Lastly, just because a vet here says she doesn't match up, doesn't mean a DEFRA vet won't classify her as a PBT and have her destroyed.

I would first get your vet assessment, then call DEFRA and see if you can get an out of country assessment done.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Mikelincs I do not know for sure if she is a pitbull x as we rescued her.So I'm only going what is in her rescue papers.As for your stupid comment about "loving" her,well there are no words to that type of stupidity as my wife and I are in bits� ����
Old May 26th 2015, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thank you photoplex.Very helpful � ����� ����� ����
Old May 26th 2015, 9:19 pm
Concierge

It matters not what is written in the regulations, it will be up to the vet who sees her on arrival, if he/she thinks the dog could be a pitbull, then they will have no option but to quarantine her and get her tested. I realise that you are extremely worried and distraught, I would be in your situation, but I would make the decision to find her a loving home before leaving, rather than risking the heartbreak that she might be put down.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Mikelincs I do not know for sure if she is a pitbull x as we rescued her.So I'm only going what is in her rescue papers.As for your stupid comment about "loving" her,well there are no words to that type of stupidity as my wife and I are in bits������
I would get the dog's DNA...that should tell you for sure.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:24 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is NO DNA test available to identify the breed. The legal test is based on looks, not breed.

Doglaw - Dangerous dogs (pit bull types) : Section 1 & 4B Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
Old May 26th 2015, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Photoplex
There is NO DNA test available to identify the breed. The legal test is based on looks, not breed.

Doglaw - Dangerous dogs (pit bull types) : Section 1 & 4B Dangerous Dogs Act 1991
I thought there was. I thought someone posted in the MBTTUK forum that they had their dog tested...it was part wolf.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 28th 2015 at 3:25 am. Reason: Spelling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.