Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Old Dec 6th 2011, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I believe the stern guidance on the citizenship card not being a travel card is more in the "you can't travel on just your citizenship card, you need a passport" line. My primary travel document will be my UK passport. The citizenship card is *merely* for re-entry into Canada. Anyway, I called AC and the lady in the call centre at least, said I would be able to travel on my passport. I guess I'll find out next week!
You're most likely going to be fine.

However, the issue is that OUTSIDE Canada the citizenship card is not guaranteed to be recognized by anyone other than Canadian officials. Only a passport has international recognition. So, for example, if an airline questions your right to travel to Canada, there's no guarantee that the citizenship card will satisfy them even if it's produced along with a non-Canadian passport. Granted many people travel that way and have no issues and you will likely be one of them (especially as a UK citizen) but it's not a given and is subject to 3rd party policy and interpretation.

As you said, once you get to Canada, then of course the citizenship card will be recognized. Outside Canada you're at the mercy of someone else if your non-Canadian passport doesn't satisfy them. And you are actually encouraged to use a Canadian passport for international travel:

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications...zenship-en.pdf

"Always use your Canadian passport if possible, especially when entering the country of your second citizenship. Note that you cannot use a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship instead of a Canadian passport to travel abroad. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel."

Bold and underlines are mine.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
And you are actually encouraged to use a Canadian passport for international travel:

"Always use your Canadian passport if possible, especially when entering the country of your second citizenship. Note that you cannot use a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship instead of a Canadian passport to travel abroad. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel."

I've never understood that. As far as I can see, the universally accepted practice of dual citizens travelling between countries where they hold citizenship, is always to enter the country of citizenship with that country's passport, if available. It makes the border controls so much easeier. So if flying to the UK as a dual national, enter the UK on your UK passport and then come back into Canada on a Canadian passport.

Obviously this won't help AX next week, but what is the rationale behind the Canadian govt's advice above?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:45 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I've never understood that. As far as I can see, the universally accepted practice of dual citizens travelling between countries where they hold citizenship, is always to enter the country of citizenship with that country's passport, if available. It makes the border controls so much easeier. So if flying to the UK as a dual national, enter the UK on your UK passport and then come back into Canada on a Canadian passport.

Obviously this won't help AX next week, but what is the rationale behind the Canadian govt's advice above?
Parochialism I think.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
And you are actually encouraged to use a Canadian passport for international travel:

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Yes, that certainly makes sense when travelling between the UK and Canada. And, in fact, it's not always possible to enter your country of other citizenship using a Canadian passport. For example, US citizens are legally obligated to enter the US on a US passport regardless of which other passports they hold.

If you read more of the the link I provided, you'll see that things can become more complicated for Canadians who visit other countries they are also a citizen of. For example, there can be issues related to military service, taxation, etc. Here's another snippet from the link:

"Using your Canadian passport may provide the basis under which Canada can provide you with consular assistance if you run into problems."
Old Dec 6th 2011, 11:04 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I believe the stern guidance on the citizenship card not being a travel card is more in the "you can't travel on just your citizenship card, you need a passport" line. My primary travel document will be my UK passport. The citizenship card is *merely* for re-entry into Canada. Anyway, I called AC and the lady in the call centre at least, said I would be able to travel on my passport. I guess I'll find out next week!
You could use it for travel between Canada and the USA (I've done it). I don't know if you still can.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This link might answer questions as we have done this on other threads

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_can/index.html
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Souvy
You could use it for travel between Canada and the USA (I've done it). I don't know if you still can.
You can't.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:11 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Should obtain, or must obtain?

My experience may be a little old but in 2005 I travelled from Ottawa to Phoenix (and back) using my citizenship card.
2005 was before WHTI and the change in the Transport Canada regs.

To say it again, you don't need sweet FA to enter Canada as a Canadian citizen who shows up at a POE staffed by CBSA. If you've just been mugged or flushed your passport down the toilet on the plane and have nothing they can with some effort find you in their system. Helpful to have some ID obviously but you can get in with nothing in extremis.

However a carrier is required by law to check, this includes bus companies, ferries, airlines etc.

The US has a list of acceptable ID under WHTI, which basically boils down to three things if you're a Canadian - passport, NEXUS (or FAST) card or Enhanced Driver Licence (EDLs can only be used for entry by land and only a few provinces issue them).

IATA rules require all air travellers to have a passport, so even if you have a NEXUS card the airline requires a passport.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 6:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I went for years without a Canadian passport, certainly 10 years, probably 15, using a British passport and a Canadian citizenship card. I only ever used the card for entry to Canada and I entered better than once a fortnight. I then obtained a Canadian passport but lost it and went back to using the card. The method still works.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 11:42 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Some years ago I was visiting my almost ex-wife's family in LA. As one does, we decided to take a trip to TJ. We parked the F250 at the border and wandered into Mexico. We then spent a large number of hours at a bar called 'Buckets'. For a reason that escapes me it was named after something one could do that resulted in a bucket being hoisted to the ceiling. Anyway, 10 large Margaritas later we decided to attempt to head home - which involved crossing the US border on foot. At this point I realised I had no ID other than some expired BC health card. I vaguely recall staggering towards the border exclaiming loudly that I was Canadian. By this point I had decided that I actually didn't mind having to remain in TJ. Sadly though I was waved right through - I suspect that the fact my father in law was wearing an NRA baseball cap helped.

Oh, this is how I looked just before crossing the border (I am clearly indicating the 10 drinks). And yes, I did make it across with the hat Try that with the CBSA!!
Attached Thumbnails Travelling the day one becomes a citizen-tj4.jpg  

Last edited by lmartin999; Dec 7th 2011 at 11:47 am.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Some years ago I was visiting my almost ex-wife's family in LA. As one does, we decided to take a trip to TJ. We parked the F250 at the border and wandered into Mexico. We then spent a large number of hours at a bar called 'Buckets'. For a reason that escapes me it was named after something one could do that resulted in a bucket being hoisted to the ceiling. Anyway, 10 large Margaritas later we decided to attempt to head home - which involved crossing the US border on foot. At this point I realised I had no ID other than some expired BC health card. I vaguely recall staggering towards the border exclaiming loudly that I was Canadian. By this point I had decided that I actually didn't mind having to remain in TJ. Sadly though I was waved right through - I suspect that the fact my father in law was wearing an NRA baseball cap helped.

Oh, this is how I looked just before crossing the border (I am clearly indicating the 10 drinks). And yes, I did make it across with the hat Try that with the CBSA!!
A fine tale, and a wonderful likeness. I can only attempt to rival it with a distant recollection of driving around Morocco with 5 friends in a VW camper. When in (a place who's name I've forgotten) not too far south of Ceuta we saw an obviously British guy being chased through the streets. So we stopped and he hopped in.

We were on or way back to Spain and he asked to stick with us. Fine by us.

It's only when we got to the border that he told us he didn't have a passport.

No problem. We handed 5 passports out of the window to the border guy who peered into the van and then gave them back without a word. apparently he couldn't count.

This was some time ago of course.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999

Well of course you couldnt try that with CBSA we dont work in TJ (Tijuana)
Interesting story but on reflection would you try that today?
I merely ask out of curiosity and to show others who might read this that if they tried this today would they be as lucky as you were?
The possibility of being refused entry into the US and having no valid ID is something for others to consider. Now you would need to contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or hope that one of your friends gets hold of some ID and returns with it. How would the Mexican authorities look at this?
Would they let you stay at the crossing or whisk you away to a friendly TJ police station.
With the current outbreak of violence in TJ its not a place I would like to be left stranded in.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:47 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
A fine tale, and a wonderful likeness. I can only attempt to rival it with a distant recollection of driving around Morocco with 5 friends in a VW camper. When in (a place who's name I've forgotten) not too far south of Ceuta we saw an obviously British guy being chased through the streets. So we stopped and he hopped in.

We were on or way back to Spain and he asked to stick with us. Fine by us.

It's only when we got to the border that he told us he didn't have a passport.

No problem. We handed 5 passports out of the window to the border guy who peered into the van and then gave them back without a word. apparently he couldn't count.

This was some time ago of course.
That's one to dine out on.

Things do change. I remember going on a camping trip. I got from Brighton and Brittany and back on ferries and trains without ever having to show my ticket or passport.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 11:50 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well of course you couldnt try that with CBSA we dont work in TJ (Tijuana)
Interesting story but on reflection would you try that today?
I merely ask out of curiosity and to show others who might read this that if they tried this today would they be as lucky as you were?
The possibility of being refused entry into the US and having no valid ID is something for others to consider. Now you would need to contact the nearest Canadian Consulate or hope that one of your friends gets hold of some ID and returns with it. How would the Mexican authorities look at this?
Would they let you stay at the crossing or whisk you away to a friendly TJ police station.
With the current outbreak of violence in TJ its not a place I would like to be left stranded in.
Pre 9/11. I didn't intend to try it then, but with not showing any ID on entering Mexico I didn't realise until too late that I didn't have any. I can't see any reason the Mexican authorities would have been interested. I entered the country legitimately so would just have waited for someone to come back with my passport.
Old Dec 8th 2011, 12:05 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago, we were driving towards Tsawwassen ferry terminal outside Vancouver when I took a wrong turn and ended up, unwittingly, at the US border (Point Roberts - surely the most pointless bit of the entire USA).

As we had not intended to enter the US while on holiday, we didn't have our passports with us, and my wife didn't even have her driving licence with her. Anyway, we were suddenly stuck in a jersey-barrier lane that we couldn't get out of as we approached the border point, before doing a U turn and heading back towards the immigration booths.

"Passports", grunted the immigration clerk. "Umm, we don't have any. We went through by mistake."

"You must have passports, you've just come from America."

"No we haven't, I've just come from the other side of your booth 30 seconds ago."

Anyway, he made a great show of checking my driving licence, chastising my wife for not having hers, and eventually made sure we knew what an enormous favour he was doing by letting us "back in" to Canada.

That must happen a dozen times a day or more at that border point. I suppose immigration clerks have to make entertainment for themselves somehow. "Hey dude, look here comes another idiot. Quick, put on your Aviators and your Tough Guy voice..."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.