Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:41 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Originally Posted by JonboyE
She has to prove somehow the date she became resident in order to receive Old Age Security. What better than her ROL?
You can't be defending this?

You shouldn't need your original COPR for anything. If you do need the information on it - it should be no different to ringing up the tax people and asking for an option c printout. Something that is quite straightforward and quick to do.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:18 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

She has to prove somehow the date she became resident in order to receive Old Age Security. What better than her ROL?
I'm curious. What is the residency requirement for OAS? Straight question, I've no idea.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:42 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm curious. What is the residency requirement for OAS? Straight question, I've no idea.

OAP? 40 years for full pension, 10 years minimum and then you get 10/40th of the maximum.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 8:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

OAP? 40 years for full pension, 10 years minimum and then you get 10/40th of the maximum.
Is OAP what JonboyE was referring to? I think it was Old Age Security, the low income supplement to CPP.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 12:51 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Is OAP what JonboyE was referring to? I think it was Old Age Security, the low income supplement to CPP.
I thought GIS was the low income supplement to OAS (the "how much time have you spent in Canada?" one) and CPP was the average income linked one.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:09 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BTJ
I thought GIS was the low income supplement to OAS (the "how much time have you spent in Canada?" one) and CPP was the average income linked one.
That is right. Old Age Security (OAS) is a pension based on how long you have been resident in Canada between 18 and 65. As PMM says above, you need 40 years for the full amount, and a minimum of 10 years to qualify for anything. Full OAS is around $550 a month.

Note that the rules are different if you are not in Canada when you retire.

Canada Pension Plan (CPP) is a pension based on your contributions during your working life. Full CPP is about $900 a month.

Guaranteed income supplement (GIS) is a top up for people who qualify for OAS but do not have any (or sufficient) CPP.

Not many people reading this will qualify for anything like full OAS or CPP so we had better get saving.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:12 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Eligibility conditions: To qualify for an Old Age Security pension, a person must be 65 years of age or over, and

must be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day preceding the application's approval; or

if no longer living in Canada, must have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada on the day preceding the day he or she stopped living in Canada.

A minimum of 10 years of residence in Canada after reaching age 18 is required to receive a pension in Canada.

A minimum of 20 years of residence in Canada after reaching age 18 is required to receive a pension outside of Canada.

*The residence requirement may be met under the terms of a Social Security Agreement.

Beneficiaries incarcerated as a result of a sentence of two years or longer in federal penitentiaries or a sentence of 90 days or longer in provincial or territorial correctional facilities may not receive OAS benefits while incarcerated. Read more.

http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/i...overview.shtml
Old Dec 4th 2011, 5:32 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You can't be defending this?

You shouldn't need your original COPR for anything. If you do need the information on it - it should be no different to ringing up the tax people and asking for an option c printout. Something that is quite straightforward and quick to do.
I am not defending anything, just being practical. OAS is based on residency and the only documentary proof you have of when you became resident is your record of landing.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 12:30 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I am not defending anything, just being practical. OAS is based on residency and the only documentary proof you have of when you became resident is your record of landing.
Don't they officially record this detail when landing and activating the visa?
Old Dec 4th 2011, 3:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by el_richo
Don't they officially record this detail when landing and activating the visa?
CIC do. However, CIC records are not available to Service Canada who administer OAS. You have to prove your period of residence to Service Canada. To do this you either need your original ROL or apply ot CIC for a duplicate.
Old Dec 4th 2011, 6:37 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

CIC do. However, CIC records are not available to Service Canada who administer OAS. You have to prove your period of residence to Service Canada. To do this you either need your original ROL or apply ot CIC for a duplicate.
Good to know, thanks.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:23 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
What?

If he's gone through the citizenship ceremony, he's a Canadian citizen. The card is proof of that. He has the constitutional right to leave and enter Canada.

Your post is some of the most ill-informed and misleading shite I think I have ever read.
Clearly you haven't bothered to talk to CBSA or read the transport regs. A citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Read the bold bit in the centre of this page that says: "A citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Any Canadian citizen wanting to travel outside Canada should obtain a Canadian passport." If you get to a POE then you don't need anything really, CBSA will accept almost any proof, however the transport regs require the carrier to check before boarding, and a citizenship certificate is not acceptable. A British passport is acceptable for a visitor. Put the two together and then you do have proof but CBSA were so vague when I was talking to them and so was the airline that I decided that waiting to get a Canadian passport was the more sensible option.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:28 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
I'm guessing their main concern is having to pay for returning an inadmissible passenger to their point of origin.
It's an offence for them to let you board, that is their concern. Like I said if you can get to a POE and talk to CBSA they will let you in with almost anything, if you're a citizen you have a right to enter the country regardless. Even the US with all their WHTI nonsense will in reality let US citizens enter with nothing, but they don't like to say that. But I've sat in secondary and watch people enter who've lost their passports or whatever. They just look through their records and find you.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:40 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Clearly you haven't bothered to talk to CBSA or read the transport regs. A citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Read the bold bit in the centre of this page that says: "A citizenship certificate is not a travel document. Any Canadian citizen wanting to travel outside Canada should obtain a Canadian passport." If you get to a POE then you don't need anything really, CBSA will accept almost any proof, however the transport regs require the carrier to check before boarding, and a citizenship certificate is not acceptable. A British passport is acceptable for a visitor. Put the two together and then you do have proof but CBSA were so vague when I was talking to them and so was the airline that I decided that waiting to get a Canadian passport was the more sensible option.
Should obtain, or must obtain?

My experience may be a little old but in 2005 I travelled from Ottawa to Phoenix (and back) using my citizenship card.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 10:41 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the stern guidance on the citizenship card not being a travel card is more in the "you can't travel on just your citizenship card, you need a passport" line. My primary travel document will be my UK passport. The citizenship card is *merely* for re-entry into Canada. Anyway, I called AC and the lady in the call centre at least, said I would be able to travel on my passport. I guess I'll find out next week!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.