Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:30 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Depending on the handler they may choose not to dress the dog in its little jacket the navy coloured one showing it belongs to CBSA or the lighter green coloured vest marked CFIA. The undercover dogs try to be non descript but I personally think the sunglasses give them away.
No dogs allowed in YVR so they'd be pretty noticeable if they were loitering by the baggage claim area
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:17 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the people who organize these ceremonies would like all the new citizens to partake in the singing of the National Anthem however I believe lip synching is an acceptable form of demonstrating your loyalty and pride to your new country and all the good that it portrays.
what about through gritted teeth is that accpetable?..bit like you do at weddings etc
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
What?

If he's gone through the citizenship ceremony, he's a Canadian citizen. The card is proof of that. He has the constitutional right to leave and enter Canada.

Your post is some of the most ill-informed and misleading shite I think I have ever read.
Originally Posted by iaink
Comes down to burden of proof though, for travel a passport is the acid test, anything else (other than PR card) is potentially a forgery...
Yep - there's no guarantee that a citizenship card will be recognized outside of Canada. A Canadian passport is the only internationally recognized proof of Canadian citizenship. Whether you can use anything else (e.g. a UK passport along with a citizenship card) is completely at the mercy of a third party's policy or interpretation. In practice, lots of people can do that without any trouble - but it's not a given right.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications...zenship-en.pdf

"Always use your Canadian passport if possible, especially when entering the country of your second citizenship. Note that you cannot use a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship instead of a Canadian passport to travel abroad. A Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is not a travel document. A Canadian passport is the only reliable and universally accepted travel and identification document available to Canadians for the purpose of international travel."

Bold and underlines are mine.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Dec 2nd 2011 at 6:42 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 7:06 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Not for the 1st time nor will it be the last

As for him keeping his landing papers that is entirely his choice. The efficient employees at CIC will enter his Citizenship details into FOSS and therefore a record is kept.
He keeps his COPR in a safe place, because he will need it for OAP and CPP when he applies. Not for Immigration.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That is very useful information now I guess I should try to figure out where my IMM1000 is as I was unaware of the OAP & CPP requirements.
Thank you.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

That is very useful information now I guess I should try to figure out where my IMM1000 is as I was unaware of the OAP & CPP requirements.
Thank you.
You can get a replacement if you've lost it:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ides/5545E.asp

I shredded mine years ago as I didn't think I'd need it anymore!
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You can get a replacement if you've lost it:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ides/5545E.asp

I shredded mine years ago as I didn't think I'd need it anymore!
I know that the COPR should be kept, but in this day and age, there really should be no need to keep a crappy dot matrix printout of information they already have to claim your pension. It's a very odd requirement if you ask me.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:48 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I know that the COPR should be kept, but in this day and age, there really should be no need to keep a crappy dot matrix printout of information they already have to claim your pension. It's a very odd requirement if you ask me.
I'm rather glad the government does not have one all encompassing data base.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 10:53 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I'm rather glad the government does not have one all encompassing data base.
Me too, but I don't see what that has to do with me keeping a copy of the COPR for my pension. The government is quite happy to take my CPP payments without it.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

He keeps his COPR in a safe place, because he will need it for OAP and CPP when he applies. Not for Immigration.
My COPR was taken from me at my citizenship test
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:45 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Me too, but I don't see what that has to do with me keeping a copy of the COPR for my pension. The government is quite happy to take my CPP payments without it.
OAS is based on the number of years you have been resident in Canada. I guess the record of landing is as good as any document to prove when you first became resident.

I wish they told us at the time. I only found out when someone I know applied for his pension and ended up having to get a duplicate from CIC.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 3:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
OAS is based on the number of years you have been resident in Canada. I guess the record of landing is as good as any document to prove when you first became resident.

I wish they told us at the time. I only found out when someone I know applied for his pension and ended up having to get a duplicate from CIC.
I agree with Alan on this. Occasionally (perhaps only when you get to my advanced state of decrepitness), the CPP send a summary of my CPP payments from the age of 18. They seem perfectly able to note that I first paid in in 1982 and subsequently took an eight year break to go to Germany, returning in 1993. The purpose of this is to inform me of my projected CPP when I become 65.

It's a derisory amount, but I doubt they need my COPR to pay it out.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:09 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
It will be bloody quiet if everyone did that.

We had cards with the words and were encouraged to do our best in both the official languages. The end result was not pretty..
With over 40 origins represented in the room we as a group of imminent citizens made a game attempt at doing the oath in English and French. Likewise, it wasn't pretty though.

Originally Posted by Steve_
I've been stopped and asked by the carrier at LHR for more than that, which is why I quizzed CBSA and CIC. The regs say you need more than that if you're a resident of Canada, BA wanted to see my LPR card as well on one occasion. CBSA seemed to think a certificate and a British passport would do it but they were definitely vague about it.

Basically you are in the hands of the carrier as to how they interpret the regulations is basically what it boiled down to. So the thing to do is to check with the carrier. One thing they were all crystal clear on though is that a citizenship certificate is not a travel document.
So if you have problems with the airline at the airport before boarding why not just offer to buy a fully refundable return segment on the spot. I'm guessing their main concern is having to pay for returning an inadmissible passenger to their point of origin.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Totally agree. Government agencies at all levels have very odd requirements.

My daughter recently moved to Ontario to attend university. She tried to apply for an OHIP card but didn't yet have anything on their list of things that prove residence address. They wouldn't accept a letter from the university stating that she is enrolled in courses and confirming her residence address on campus. In the end she went to Service Ontario to apply for one of the new Ontario Photo ID cards. That's acceptable proof of residence address even though you don't actually have to provide proof of residence address to get one! They simply believe whatever address you give them. She can then use the Ontario Photo ID card to apply for the OHIP card! When I asked why this works I was told that they mail the Ontario Photo ID card to the address you give them so you must be there if you want to receive it. When I pointed out that the same concept could apply to the OHIP card, they had no answer!
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 3:31 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I agree with Alan on this. Occasionally (perhaps only when you get to my advanced state of decrepitness), the CPP send a summary of my CPP payments from the age of 18. They seem perfectly able to note that I first paid in in 1982 and subsequently took an eight year break to go to Germany, returning in 1993. The purpose of this is to inform me of my projected CPP when I become 65.

It's a derisory amount, but I doubt they need my COPR to pay it out.
All your CPP contribution record shows is the time you were in pensionable employment n Canada. What about someone who has not worked? I have a client who "retired" this year. She became a PR in 1980 and was a stay-at-home mum then the payout from a life assurance policy meant that she has been able to get by up till now.

She has to prove somehow the date she became resident in order to receive Old Age Security. What better than her ROL?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.