Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:21 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling the day one becomes a citizen

do you have to sing the national anthem or any gumpf like that..or just knowing the words does the trick?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the people who organize these ceremonies would like all the new citizens to partake in the singing of the National Anthem however I believe lip synching is an acceptable form of demonstrating your loyalty and pride to your new country and all the good that it portrays.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:36 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I've done a lot of travelling through those airports and haven't see one at all
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Shhhh its just a Govt ploy to get you to believe that we have such things in place a bit like the x ray machines, ionscan machines and such other tools.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Shhhh its just a Govt ploy to get you to believe that we have such things in place a bit like the x ray machines, ionscan machines and such other tools.
Are the dogs dressed in plain clothes to blend in with travelers?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:05 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I think my judge was an out-and-out racist. There were 40+ of us from about 25 countries. Who did she chat to? Only one person. The Brit.
She probably had her eye on you as a potential meal-ticket to get a British passport.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:06 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Are the dogs dressed in plain clothes to blend in with travelers?
Only for charter flights from Manchester.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Depending on the handler they may choose not to dress the dog in its little jacket the navy coloured one showing it belongs to CBSA or the lighter green coloured vest marked CFIA. The undercover dogs try to be non descript but I personally think the sunglasses give them away.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:07 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I get to swear my oath of citizenship in a couple of weeks time to become a Canadianeh? All good stuff, but exigencies of work mean I do this in the afternoon and that evening leave on a biz trip to the UK. So do I get a citizenship cert, one thats useful, not just for show at the ceremony? Do they take my PR card away from me then? Just thinking about coming back to Canada on my UK passport but being a citizen at that point. I suspect opportunities for confusion with our friendly CBSA officers!
Having done pretty much exactly the same thing recently I think you may have a problem.

Under the transport regs you must demonstrate to the carrier that you are authorized to enter Canada. A citizenship certificate cannot be used for this, as a citizen basically you must have a passport or NEXUS card.

Once you actually get to the POE, CBSA really don't care much what you use, certificate, NEXUS card, DL, basically some proof but even with no proof they can let you in as they can look you up in their entry system.

The carrier is supposed to check at check-in or before boarding.

As a British citizen you can visit Canada without a visa so on that basis they might be okay with it, but technically speaking if you live in Canada it's not good enough.

I went through this all with CBSA and CIC at great length and their view was with a British passport and citizenship certificate I might be okay but they were so vague about it that I rescheduled my trip and got a Canadian passport. And yes the carrier did want to see it. But CBSA didn't, I used my NEXUS card.

If you can't change the trip what you need to do is check with the carrier that you are okay with a British passport and Canadian citizenship certificate. If you can physically get to a Canadian POE then you won't have a problem.

The obvious way around it is to go via the US and enter by land.

Also worth noting that it is the IATA rules that require air travellers to use a passport. CBSA and CBP don't, they are okay with a US LPR card for example or NEXUS.

Last edited by Steve_; Dec 2nd 2011 at 5:09 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:08 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the people who organize these ceremonies would like all the new citizens to partake in the singing of the National Anthem however I believe lip synching is an acceptable form of demonstrating your loyalty and pride to your new country and all the good that it portrays.
It will be bloody quiet if everyone did that.

We had cards with the words and were encouraged to do our best in both the official languages. The end result was not pretty..
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:10 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Having done pretty much exactly the same thing recently I think you may have a problem.

Under the transport regs you must demonstrate to the carrier that you are authorized to enter Canada. A citizenship certificate cannot be used for this, as a citizen basically you must have a passport or NEXUS card.

Once you actually get to the POE, CBSA really don't care much what you use, certificate, NEXUS card, DL, basically some proof but even with no proof they can let you in as they can look you up in their entry system.

As a British citizen you can visit Canada without a visa so on that basis they might be okay with it, but technically speaking if you live in Canada it's not good enough.

I went through this all with CBSA and CIC at great length and their view was with a British passport and citizenship certificate I might be okay but they were so vague about it that I rescheduled my trip and got a Canadian passport. And yes the carrier did want to see it. But CBSA didn't, I used my NEXUS card.

If you can't change the trip what you need to do is check with the carrier that you are okay with a British passport and Canadian citizenship certificate. If you can physically get to a Canadian POE then you won't have a problem.

Also worth noting that it is the IATA rules that require travellers to use a passport. CBSA and CBP don't, they are okay with a US LPR card for example or NEXUS.
A british passport alone is sufficient for the carrier. This is the travel document argument all over again with a different spin.

I flew many time with a UK passport and CDN citizenship card alone, with no hassle.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:17 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I've been stopped and asked by the carrier at LHR for more than that, which is why I quizzed CBSA and CIC. The regs say you need more than that if you're a resident of Canada, BA wanted to see my LPR card as well on one occasion. CBSA seemed to think a certificate and a British passport would do it but they were definitely vague about it.

Basically you are in the hands of the carrier as to how they interpret the regulations is basically what it boiled down to. So the thing to do is to check with the carrier. One thing they were all crystal clear on though is that a citizenship certificate is not a travel document.

Last edited by Steve_; Dec 2nd 2011 at 5:19 am.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:22 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

Also worth noting that it is the IATA rules that require air travellers to use a passport. CBSA and CBP don't, they are okay with a US LPR card for example or NEXUS.
What?

If he's gone through the citizenship ceremony, he's a Canadian citizen. The card is proof of that. He has the constitutional right to leave and enter Canada.

Your post is some of the most ill-informed and misleading shite I think I have ever read.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Souvy
What?

If he's gone through the citizenship ceremony, he's a Canadian citizen. The card is proof of that. He has the constitutional right to leave and enter Canada.

Your post is some of the most ill-informed and misleading shite I think I have ever read.
Comes down to burden of proof though, for travel a passport is the acid test, anything else (other than PR card) is potentially a forgery...
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 5:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Im soooooo staying out of this one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.