Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance question

Travel insurance question

Old Aug 19th 2020, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance question

The plan is to get dual citizenship for baby. Baby has her own British passport. Our Son's PR card has expired but certainly from what we are hearing from his GF on her visit here they have no intentions of returning to Canada anytime soon, and are thoroughly enjoying life on the English Northeast coast. My Son is obviously aware if the relationship ever sours he would have a lengthy process to go through to return to Canada.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
The plan is to get dual citizenship for baby.
The baby is already a dual citizen, and has been since birth. The point we're trying to make is that legally, she MUST enter Canada on her Canadian passport, all citizens have been required to since the law changed. From this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html "Dual Canadian citizens can no longer travel to or transit through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport"

So they need to be very careful, and I'd suggest getting the baby's Canadian passport asap. They were very lucky the baby was allowed in to Canada, I wouldn't suggest they risk it a second time.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The baby is already a dual citizen, and has been since birth. The point we're trying to make is that legally, she MUST enter Canada on her Canadian passport, all citizens have been required to since the law changed. From this link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...it-canada.html "Dual Canadian citizens can no longer travel to or transit through Canada by air with a non-Canadian passport"

So they need to be very careful, and I'd suggest getting the baby's Canadian passport asap. They were very lucky the baby was allowed in to Canada, I wouldn't suggest they risk it a second time.
They're in now, and nobody will be asking for the Cdn PP on the way back to UK. Just apply for it as soon as they get back to UK and enjoy vacation. Up until last week when someone challenged it in court you couldn't even apply for a Canadian passport within Canada unless you had "valid urgent" travel reasons due to covid-19
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
They're in now, and nobody will be asking for the Cdn PP on the way back to UK. Just apply for it as soon as they get back to UK and enjoy vacation. Up until last week when someone challenged it in court you couldn't even apply for a Canadian passport within Canada unless you had "valid urgent" travel reasons due to covid-19
They are in now, but presumably because the baby got an ETA which she shouldn't have been eligible for! Hence why I said don't risk it a second time, next time they want to visit the baby must have a Canadian passport.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
Our Son's PR card has expired but certainly from what we are hearing from his GF on her visit here they have no intentions of returning to Canada anytime soon, and are thoroughly enjoying life on the English Northeast coast. My Son is obviously aware if the relationship ever sours he would have a lengthy process to go through to return to Canada.
Also, just re-read this bit - as long as your son is living with his Canadian citizen spouse/partner, he will keep his PR status.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

They are in now, but presumably because the baby got an ETA which she shouldn't have been eligible for! Hence why I said don't risk it a second time, next time they want to visit the baby must have a Canadian passport.
Yep, I agree. I suspect they got lucky due to COVID the CBSA are probably more preoccupied with other things. Although my cousin (Maltese born in Canada) did the same thing for her at the time I think 6 month old they just travelled on the baby's Maltese passport with an eTA, maybe they are just lenient when it comes to babies. That would make sense to me. (this was long before covid)
Old Aug 19th 2020, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, I agree. I suspect they got lucky due to COVID the CBSA are probably more preoccupied with other things. Although my cousin (Maltese born in Canada) did the same thing for her at the time I think 6 month old they just travelled on the baby's Maltese passport with an eTA, maybe they are just lenient when it comes to babies. That would make sense to me. (this was long before covid)
Nothing to do with CBSA per se. We only need to be satisfied that the person entering Canada is admissible and has the required documentation. Now the fact that someone has the right of Canadian citizenship means they have a right to enter Canada. Now when Canada introduced the Canadian citizens must travel back to Canada using a Canadian passport I knew it would cause problems and there would be a loophole.
Now at a POE if you are claiming that you are a Canadian citizen but don't have a Canadian passport then that person better be prepared to show how they have Canadian citizenship. Onus is on the person entering to prove citizenship. Babies don't pose a problem as unlikely to be inadmissible however with those 18 or over could be a problem especially if convicted of offences outside of Canada.
Cant prove citizenship then I don't have to let you in simple.
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I think 6 month old they just travelled on the baby's Maltese passport with an eTA
It's not that they are more lenient with babies, but if there is a valid ETA there's no reason to know that the child is a citizen and should be travelling on a Canadian passport unless they dig deeper. The problem is that a citizen shouldn't be able to get an ETA!
Old Aug 19th 2020, 5:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It's not that they are more lenient with babies, but if there is a valid ETA there's no reason to know that the child is a citizen and should be travelling on a Canadian passport unless they dig deeper. The problem is that a citizen shouldn't be able to get an ETA!
It's a catch 22. If the parents haven't yet reported the birth to the Canadian embassy/consulate and gotten a citizenship certificate then the Canadian government does not know the baby exists outside of his/her UK passport/eTA application. Therefore, the application is approved.

If they had already registered the baby and at that time did not get a Canadian passport then I would guess the eTA would be flagged and denied and they would be told to apply for a Canadian passport or urgent special authorization.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It's a catch 22. If the parents haven't yet reported the birth to the Canadian embassy/consulate and gotten a citizenship certificate then the Canadian government does not know the baby exists outside of his/her UK passport/eTA application. Therefore, the application is approved.
Well, sort of, except that the parents shouldn't be applying for an ETA for a Canadian citizen in the first place!
Old Aug 20th 2020, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well, sort of, except that the parents shouldn't be applying for an ETA for a Canadian citizen in the first place!
Correct, but I think of all the possible contraventions in immigration law applying for an entry authorisation for a baby instead of a Canadian passport is not a great threat to national security. Bigger fish to fry and all that.

NZ offers an electronic citizen endorsement that's attached to a dual citizen's other passport number, i've said since the beginning of eTA that Canada should do this as well. It is less administrative headache, would cost the country less money and it would be easier for people to apply for since it is all electronic. You could even leverage the existing eTA application system for it.

It would also make it easier for dual citizens who aren't necessarily as well-versed in immigration law and which passport to show where as those of us on BE are to have the endorsement and just use whatever passport they prefer for a given trip.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Correct, but I think of all the possible contraventions in immigration law applying for an entry authorisation for a baby instead of a Canadian passport is not a great threat to national security. Bigger fish to fry and all that.
Oh I totally agree. The requirement for Canadians to enter on Canadian passports was only introduced a few years ago with the ETA's, but it's still a legal requirement and I would never recommend messing around with immigration, even for something that we think isn't a great threat to national security.
Old Aug 20th 2020, 3:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh I totally agree. The requirement for Canadians to enter on Canadian passports was only introduced a few years ago with the ETA's, but it's still a legal requirement and I would never recommend messing around with immigration, even for something that we think isn't a great threat to national security.
Agreed, I wouldn't want to risk it or mess around either way. Better safe than sorry in that regard imo.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Revin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond reputeRevin Kevin has a reputation beyond repute

If they had already registered the baby and at that time did not get a Canadian passport then I would guess the eTA would be flagged and denied and they would be told to apply for a Canadian passport or urgent special authorization.
The baby would aquire the right to Citizenship at birth but it would need to be applied for so the eta could be got by answering honestly that the baby had never held citizenship.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin
The baby would aquire the right to Citizenship at birth but it would need to be applied for so the eta could be got by answering honestly that the baby had never held citizenship.
No need to apply for citizenship if born a citizen. Not sure what your citizenship is, but let's say it's British and you've been a citizen since birth - your parents wouldn't ever have applied for your citizenship!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.