Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance question

Travel insurance question

Old Jul 17th 2020, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel insurance question

Hi all....looking for some help
My Son and his Canadian girlfriend moved to the UK 4 years ago, my Son is a British citizen and his girlfriend has not taken out British citizenship yet. They have had a child (10 months old) in the UK, who is obviously a British citizen. My Son's girlfriend is flying with our granddaughter to Canada for a 5 week stay (2 weeks quarantined) this coming Monday. With mum being Canadian she will be covered should she have a medical issue however will her daughter be automatically covered or will she require her own travel insurance cover to be taken out in the UK, prior to the trip?
Thanks for any help on this subject.

Last edited by Kentonmag; Jul 17th 2020 at 11:30 am.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 1:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance question

Originally Posted by Kentonmag View Post
My Son and his Canadian girlfriend moved to the UK 4 years ago, my Son is a British citizen and his girlfriend has not taken out British citizenship yet. They have had a child (10 months old) in the UK, who is obviously a British citizen. My Son's girlfriend is flying with our granddaughter to Canada for a 5 week stay (2 weeks quarantined) this coming Monday. With mum being Canadian she will be covered should she have a medical issue however will her daughter be automatically covered or will she require her own travel insurance cover to be taken out in the UK, prior to the trip?
Your granddaughter is Canadian too though surely?
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

looks like non of them will be covered by OHIP. I think they will have to be residents of Canada for 3 months before they are eligible. I don’t think she will be able to get any sort of travel insurance that will cover COVID.

Honestly I would not travel with such a young child at this time.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/ohip-cov...outside-canada

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 17th 2020 at 2:37 pm. Reason: Insert Link
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
looks like non of them will be covered by OHIP. I think they will have to be residents of Canada for 3 months before they are eligible.
That requirement's been waived at the moment - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...et-health-card But as the OP's daughter-in-law is only visiting, I don't think she'd quality, just being a citizen isn't enough if she's not living there.

So travel insurance for both of them it would appear, although unlikely to cover Covid so potentially crazily expensive if (God forbid) they did get it. And I'm concerned about the grandchild, sounds like she's definitely a Canadian citizen so she MUST travel on a Canadian passport. Hopefully that is the case and the OP just isn't aware of it.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
That requirement's been waived at the moment - https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...et-health-card But as the OP's daughter-in-law is only visiting, I don't think she'd quality, just being a citizen isn't enough if she's not living there.

So travel insurance for both of them it would appear, although unlikely to cover Covid so potentially crazily expensive if (God forbid) they did get it. And I'm concerned about the grandchild, sounds like she's definitely a Canadian citizen so she MUST travel on a Canadian passport. Hopefully that is the case and the OP just isn't aware of it.
yes they are only visiting...they would need to be residents for 3 mths.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:40 pm

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Which Province are they visiting - some are offering reduced wait times for health cover - but having not lived in the Province for 4 years that will preclude them from being covered anywhere I suspect

I looked at a few 'visitors to Canada' insurance sites - they say things like this..
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: There is no coverage for medical claims related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). There is no coverage for any Trip Cancellation or Trip Interruption claims related to COVID-19 (Coronavirus). Coverage for claims not related to COVID-19 may still be available. Learn more at bcaa.com/coronavirus.
I wouldn't travel to Canada with a youngster at this time unless it's an emergency - I would suggest waiting until things are more under control.. no need to expose either of them unnecessarily.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 17th 2020 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Why does everyone think that if a country has a National Health Service, they can have full access to it should they get ill in the country, even when only visiting.

Yes, emergency coverage is something a civilised country should offer, but not everyday coverage for all and sundry.

National Health Service is primarily for the residents of the country - it's their taxes that pay for such a service.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl View Post
Why does everyone think that if a country has a National Health Service, they can have full access to it should they get ill in the country, even when only visiting.

Yes, emergency coverage is something a civilised country should offer, but not everyday coverage for all and sundry.

National Health Service is primarily for the residents of the country - it's their taxes that pay for such a service.
the OP is not referring to the NHS...but referring to a similar Canadian health service.
Old Jul 21st 2020, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
the OP is not referring to the NHS...but referring to a similar Canadian health service.

Yes, I know that. The OP was asking if the child would be automatically covered by the Canadian health system.....
Old Yesterday, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just an update to my original post, both Mum who is Canadian and our granddaughter born in the UK had to get travel medical coverage due to not having lived in Canada. I phoned Health Canada and the people running OHIP told me if either arrived in Canada and were found to have Covid-19 they would be treated, with or without coverage, at no charge. That would be the only free treatment.
They arrived in Canada and went into quarantine at Mum's mothers house, and whilst there, the authorities got in touch twice to make sure they were following quarantine protocol. They have been out of quarantine 2 days and we have finally got to see our 11 month old granddaughter.
Old Yesterday, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi just an update to my original post, both Mum who is Canadian and our granddaughter born in the UK had to get travel medical coverage due to not having lived in Canada. I phoned Health Canada and the people running OHIP told me if either arrived in Canada and were found to have Covid-19 they would be treated, with or without coverage, at no charge. That would be the only free treatment.
They arrived in Canada and went into quarantine at Mum's mothers house, and whilst there, the authorities got in touch twice to make sure they were following quarantine protocol. They have been out of quarantine 2 days and we have finally got to see our 11 month old granddaughter.
Did they sort your granddaughters Canadian passport, or did she travel on a UK one with ETA?