Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

travel arrangement

travel arrangement

Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all
Default travel arrangement

hopefully heading out soon on a recce. Aiming to get to alberta as a first choice or BC as a Second Choice
want to try the travel arrangements as a dry run for when we eventually get a chance to move to canada.
what i need is suggestions for the following:

What airline?( must be able to take the mutt)
best airport to travel from? ( either on the mainland or ireland)
best entry point to arrive in canada? (Vancouver,calgary,halifax or toronto)

i know that each of the above depends on our individual circumstances but i need to hear of experiences and thoughts to satisfy my cravings of information.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:32 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: travel arrangement

Originally Posted by mikey9863
hopefully heading out soon on a recce. Aiming to get to alberta as a first choice or BC as a Second Choice
want to try the travel arrangements as a dry run for when we eventually get a chance to move to canada.
what i need is suggestions for the following:

What airline?( must be able to take the mutt)
best airport to travel from? ( either on the mainland or ireland)
best entry point to arrive in canada? (Vancouver,calgary,halifax or toronto)

i know that each of the above depends on our individual circumstances but i need to hear of experiences and thoughts to satisfy my cravings of information.
If your ultimate destination is Vancouver or Calgary, don't fly to Halifax. It'll take you longer and cost more to get from Halifax to Vancouver or Calgary than it'll take from the UK to Canada.

Why put yourself and your pet through that hell and pay three times as much as you otherwise would have done?

Although Toronto would be a less bad choice than Halifax, it still would be a bad choice -- if your intended destination was Vancouver or Calgary.

Find out which airlines transport pets. There's a Wiki article called Transporting Pets which would be a good starting point for your research, and there also are heaps of previous threads on the topic, which a search would uncover.

You'll find that shipping a pet narrows your airline choices considerably.

Then use Kayak.com or the airline's own website to look for a non-stop flight from the UK to Vancouver or Calgary.

Just to warn you, air travel within Canada is expensive.
x
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

mikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to allmikey9863 is a name known to all
Default Re: travel arrangement

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If your ultimate destination is Vancouver or Calgary, don't fly to Halifax. It'll take you longer and cost more to get from Halifax to Vancouver or Calgary than it'll take from the UK to Canada.

Why put yourself and your pet through that hell and pay three times as much as you otherwise would have done?

Although Toronto would be a less bad choice than Halifax, it still would be a bad choice -- if your intended destination was Vancouver or Calgary.

Find out which airlines transport pets. There's a Wiki article called Transporting Pets which would be a good starting point for your research, and there also are heaps of previous threads on the topic, which a search would uncover.

You'll find that shipping a pet narrows your airline choices considerably.

Then use Kayak.com or the airline's own website to look for a non-stop flight from the UK to Vancouver or Calgary.

Just to warn you, air travel within Canada is expensive.
x
thank you for your invaluable help as usual you have a great wealth of knowledge.

enjoy your day!