Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Travel Advice ...

Travel Advice ...

Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all
Default Travel Advice ...

Hi all

Me and my family are planning on a rec trip next summer (end July). We would ideally like to travel first to Calgary for approx. 7 days and then from Calgary onto St Johns, Newfoundland for 10-14 days leaving from Heathrow. Has anyone planned a similarish trip without the use of a travel agent. I was hoping that I could possibly do it online. What I do know is that some airlines charge slightly more for certain days of the week. How would I find out what are the best days to travel? I want to try to keep the cost down to a minimum. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Travel Advice ...

Originally Posted by Alison33
Hi all

Me and my family are planning on a rec trip next summer (end July). We would ideally like to travel first to Calgary for approx. 7 days and then from Calgary onto St Johns, Newfoundland for 10-14 days leaving from Heathrow. Has anyone planned a similarish trip without the use of a travel agent. I was hoping that I could possibly do it online. What I do know is that some airlines charge slightly more for certain days of the week. How would I find out what are the best days to travel? I want to try to keep the cost down to a minimum. Any advice would be much appreciated.
We haven't used a travel agent for anything since 1998...more trouble than they are worth! For cheap flights, try www.canadianaffair.com but bear in mind that they only fly certain days of the week. Alternatively, www.airlinenetwork.co.uk are great, and you can phone and discuss the trip with them (we planned our whole wedding trip with them, which included a grand total of 6 flights, a couple of hotel stays, and travelling from the UK to multiple locations in the USA, then back again).
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:23 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

The ITA Software web site has a feature that allows you to find the cheapest day on which to fly within a given date range.

I sometimes find out good information from the Which Budget web site.

I know that a rec trip is different from a holiday trip. Nonetheless, while you're in Calgary you should at least get a brief look at the Rocky Mountains. My personal web site has a suggested one-day Rocky Mountain itinerary that provides directions for seeing some of the best scenery as efficiently as possible. My web site also has a half-day suggested walking itinerary of downtown Calgary.

Last but not least, do read the TIPS section of my web site to find out about weather, what to pack, national park entry fees, etc. The weather in Calgary and the Rockies is idiosyncratic, so I do recommend that you pay attention to my suggestions about clothing.

Of course this only addresses the first part of your trip. I hope other posters will help you with the Newfoundland portion of your journey.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:33 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Hi all

I don't use a travel agent anymore. I use travelocity or xpedia, switching back and forth for no good reason. Newfoundland is some wicked dear to be getting to, there are some charters but if you're stuck with AC it'll likely cost more for that leg than for crossing the Atlantic.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd
Newfoundland is some wicked dear to be getting to, there are some charters but if you're stuck with AC it'll likely cost more for that leg than for crossing the Atlantic.
This may be a stupid question. Would it be any cheaper if they did Newfoundland first?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:54 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Hangman
This may be a stupid question. Would it be any cheaper if they did Newfoundland first?
It's certainly worth checking, there's never rhyme nor reason to air fares.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hangman
Many thanks for all the replies. I will be a rec trip as well as a holiday as I have relatives in Nfld. I do know that if we fly from Heathrow to St Johns July time for the 4 of us if would cost around £700 (return fares) each and the only option would be to fly with AC. Thought if we were flying from a Canadian location may be able to use an alternative, possibly cheaper airline. I will certainly check out all links provided. Many thanks all.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 3:59 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Last but not least, do read the TIPS section of my web site
Great site Judy, good information.

Not sure about this though
Use antifreeze fluid to fill the reservoir of your windshield washer

Real antifreeze wont do your paint job much good :scared: I know what you meant though, the jugs of winter washer fluid

Last edited by iaink; Oct 25th 2005 at 4:09 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:07 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Many thanks for all the replies. I will be a rec trip as well as a holiday as I have relatives in Nfld. I do know that if we fly from Heathrow to St Johns July time for the 4 of us if would cost around £700 (return fares) each and the only option would be to fly with AC. Thought if we were flying from a Canadian location may be able to use an alternative, possibly cheaper airline. I will certainly check out all links provided. Many thanks all.
WestJet may suit. Don't overlook the possibility of a southerly route, I went to Calgary via Chicago and to Vancouver via Philadelphia so as to save on the fare.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:31 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alison,

www.expedia.co.uk does allow you to put multiple flights and destinations in. A sample itinery around your travel dates comes up with GBP1050 per person based on flying London-Calgary-St Johns-London all on AC. Depending on how much time you have, taking scheduled rather than charter flights might be useful as there should be less chance of disruption. Actually, that price seems pretty reasonable given that it can cost 600 quid just to fly to NL!

When my friends and family booked tickets to NL this year for August they paid between 390 and 580+taxes return purely depending when they booked. (and for the same flight!) You have to watch AC website like a hawk regularly as the prices do change.

Westjet & Canjet are internal airlines for NL-Calgary. Both have websites.

A good travel agent (sorry cant help with recommendations) would give you options. You can do a lot on the web though. I know you are restricted to school holidays but July/Aug is peak season as you know. Any chance of going earlier in the year?

Cheers,
Alan
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:53 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by dbd
WestJet may suit. Don't overlook the possibility of a southerly route, I went to Calgary via Chicago and to Vancouver via Philadelphia so as to save on the fare.
It might work out cheaper financially but the added "cost" of the extra stress if travelling with children might not be worth it!

Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:57 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cowtown
It might work out cheaper financially but the added "cost" of the extra stress if travelling with children might not be worth it!
Indeed.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hi Alison,

www.expedia.co.uk does allow you to put multiple flights and destinations in. A sample itinery around your travel dates comes up with GBP1050 per person based on flying London-Calgary-St Johns-London all on AC. Depending on how much time you have, taking scheduled rather than charter flights might be useful as there should be less chance of disruption. Actually, that price seems pretty reasonable given that it can cost 600 quid just to fly to NL!

When my friends and family booked tickets to NL this year for August they paid between 390 and 580+taxes return purely depending when they booked. (and for the same flight!) You have to watch AC website like a hawk regularly as the prices do change.

Westjet & Canjet are internal airlines for NL-Calgary. Both have websites.

A good travel agent (sorry cant help with recommendations) would give you options. You can do a lot on the web though. I know you are restricted to school holidays but July/Aug is peak season as you know. Any chance of going earlier in the year?

Cheers,
Alan
Hi Alan

I think I may have to do alot of research on these flight issues. £1050 seems quite expensive when you consider I have two smaller people. I know its peak and all that and I am fairly restricted to school hol periods. AC used to offer flights for children under 12 at 50 or 70% but don't think this applies any more. I took my eldest to NL 11 years ago and as he was under 2 he went free. I also have to take into account accommodation in Alberta although accomm. in NL will be fairly free due to family put me ups (thank god for that). The mother flew in July and due to unforeseem fog flew to Halifax and then took a charter to St Johns. Might have to look into some other options to see which works out cheaper. Also wondered whether it would work out any better if the tickets were bought in canadian dollars. Say, got relatives to buy vise-versa (outs/ins) tickets for me - not sure whether feasible but will see what I can come up with. If not, may have to look at going out of peak and suffer the consequences from the schools.

Alison
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:18 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Alan

I think I may have to do alot of research on these flight issues. £1050 seems quite expensive when you consider I have two smaller people. I know its peak and all that and I am fairly restricted to school hol periods. AC used to offer flights for children under 12 at 50 or 70% but don't think this applies any more. I took my eldest to NL 11 years ago and as he was under 2 he went free. I also have to take into account accommodation in Alberta although accomm. in NL will be fairly free due to family put me ups (thank god for that). The mother flew in July and due to unforeseem fog flew to Halifax and then took a charter to St Johns. Might have to look into some other options to see which works out cheaper. Also wondered whether it would work out any better if the tickets were bought in canadian dollars. Say, got relatives to buy vise-versa (outs/ins) tickets for me - not sure whether feasible but will see what I can come up with. If not, may have to look at going out of peak and suffer the consequences from the schools.

Alison
My travellers to NL this year looked into Charter to Halifax and then internal to NL and it didnt work out appreciably cheaper and involved more flying and hassle. On kids I think 11 is the AC cut off age. A long shot might be to look at doing the trip in two parts e.g. UK-Calgary & UK to St John's. Particularly if you did one trip at a cheaper time of year. Travelling time to St John's is relatively short so a long weekend here from Uk is feasible. (My sisters did that for my wedding!) Whatever you do, the invite stands for BBQ and beers at chez Atlantic Xpat!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My travellers to NL this year looked into Charter to Halifax and then internal to NL and it didnt work out appreciably cheaper and involved more flying and hassle. On kids I think 11 is the AC cut off age. A long shot might be to look at doing the trip in two parts e.g. UK-Calgary & UK to St John's. Particularly if you did one trip at a cheaper time of year. Travelling time to St John's is relatively short so a long weekend here from Uk is feasible. (My sisters did that for my wedding!) Whatever you do, the invite stands for BBQ and beers at chez Atlantic Xpat!
Thx for that Alan.

This may be a very good option for us doing a double trip. As my employers don't yet know that I am planning on doing a flit for at least 3/4 weeks. As I am the one running the office and paying wages - I believe they rely on me too heavily and this may be a wake up call for them and also possible a wage increase for me. I can also see that I'll have my work cut out training a fairly pc iliterate person to do all my work. Can't wait! Although, I can see that I may have to do an advance run of staff wages (minus overtime). The boys will just love that. hehe. What's your Newfie sausages like or will I have to run the gaunlet through customes with a suitcase packed with marmite, sausgaes etc. Look forward to it.

Alison

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.