Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transferwise requests for documents

Transferwise requests for documents

Old Oct 18th 2021, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferwise requests for documents

So, many of us on here use Transferwise to send and receive funds from abroad. In the 5 years I have been using it I haven't had any issues...however lately, following Malta's greylisting by the FATF, i've had nothing but issues sending money transfers larger then, say 100 EUR. They always ask for some kind of documentation or bank statements, or tax forms from me, and it's getting incessant. I haven't changed anything on my account since 2019 when I changed my address from Canada to Malta so that I could get the borderless account and debit mastercard they offer - which at the time was only available to accounts domiciled in the EU. Now this is a moot point as it is available for Canadian accounts as well. The only thing that has changed since i've started having issues is Malta being put on the grey list.

At the moment I receive my salary from my employer through Transferwise, and due to yet another hold up from them asking for bank statements proving my salary (which makes no sense since my salary is paid into Transferwise) i'm unable to transfer my money into my real accounts to pay my bills.

I did a live chat and asked for my verification to be expedited since I have had many document checks on my account and been a customer for a long time - so this should be a non issue - and asked the rep why this keeps happening...she refused to give me anything other then a canned, generic answer about how verification is about keeping my money safe, and didn't answer whether or not this had anything to do with the grey list.

Any ideas? My hunch is that if I change my address back to Canada now that the borderless account is available here this should go away.

And for reference, all of the amounts that I transfer are below $2000 ... so really shouldn't be anything on anybody's radar.

I really don't want to stop using Transferwise, since that's what my employer is using and I don't want to ask them to change, but in the event I can't resolve this favourably any alternative recommendations?
Old Oct 18th 2021, 8:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferwise requests for documents

Transfer your 'home' address etc., to Canada
Old Oct 18th 2021, 9:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferwise requests for documents

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Transfer your 'home' address etc., to Canada
Yeah, that is what i'm going to do methinks , once I get this sorted out and my paycheque clears.