Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

transferring money to Canadian

transferring money to Canadian

Old Jan 30th 2016, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

LukeS1994 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default transferring money to Canadian

I am moving to Canada in the next 6 months and would like to transfer some money to Canadian to take advantage of the great exchange rate which I doubt will last. Is there anyway I can do it? as I don't want it stuck in one of those international money transfer accounts with no FCA protection.

Also what is the best way to get the best exchange rate when transferring the money from UK bank to Canadian and do you have to do it after you land in Canada?

thanks so much
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transferring money to Canadian

Why not just change into Cash and keep it under your mattress?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:51 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transferring money to Canadian

Whatever you do, make sure that you declare the funds before or as you land in Canada. Any funds you transfer into Canada after you land, that were not previously declared, will be subject to Canadian income tax. Before we landed we opened an account with Scotia bank and transferred pretty much everything before we landed. These days we bank with TD bank and use a GBP TD FX account to transfer GBP business funds into from the UK. Much better rate than over the counter. It sits there as GBP and we change it to CAD when the rate looks favourable.