Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Transferring funds back to Blighty

Transferring funds back to Blighty

Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transferring funds back to Blighty

When I do a search for money transfer it comes up with all sorts, but when it actually does have a hit it is usually UK to Canada. A recent one in the right direction for me went HSBC very early on and stayed at that as a solution.

My problem is I'm already here and do not have a HSBC UK account and can't think of a Canadian branch locally.

Given that I have Barclays and Halifax at home and TD here, does anyone have any other options for transferring irregular sums back home.

Some of the Wiki things maybe an option, but some only refer to UK as the source.

We plan to go to TD and get the costs there, can anyone suggest this by other money transfer methods (from experience) and how cheap and easy was it?

(I know cheap may not be an option )
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

cazze1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring funds back to Blighty

Originally Posted by PeterF
When I do a search for money transfer it comes up with all sorts, but when it actually does have a hit it is usually UK to Canada. A recent one in the right direction for me went HSBC very early on and stayed at that as a solution.

My problem is I'm already here and do not have a HSBC UK account and can't think of a Canadian branch locally.

Given that I have Barclays and Halifax at home and TD here, does anyone have any other options for transferring irregular sums back home.

Some of the Wiki things maybe an option, but some only refer to UK as the source.

We plan to go to TD and get the costs there, can anyone suggest this by other money transfer methods (from experience) and how cheap and easy was it?

(I know cheap may not be an option )

i'm new on here but i have been using canadianforex (www.canadianforex.ca) to transfer funds between UK and Canada for the last 6 months. turns out they are a brand of ozforex and tranzfers

i also have a barclays account and a TD account - got a quote from TD about sending some funds back home and the exchange rtate wasnt competitive at all!

also, if you use canadianforex if your deal is bigger than $10K canadian then you dont get charged a fee. heaps better than the banks over here in Canada if you ask me!!
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Any Canadian bank is able to wire transfer funds to the UK but will, of course, charge a fee for it. Finding the least expensive fee is your dilemma. If timing is not of concern you may well be cheaper to buy a sterling draft and mail it to your UK bank for deposit.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 4:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest and most cost effective way to transfer funds is using a foreign exchange agent such as Custom House. You call them, book a rate, transfer the funds to their account (you can use online banking or in branch), they do the exchange and deposit in your account. Their money comes from the exchange spread, so you pay no fees. the banks also earn on the exchange spread, but also charge a fee to top up their income.