Reload this Page >

tranferring money - who to use

tranferring money - who to use

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:14 pm
mzp
Forum Regular

mzp will become famous soon enoughmzp will become famous soon enough
Default tranferring money - who to use

OK, I know there's HIFX, but who else do you use? we're now in Airdrie and need money over soon for the downpayment on a house...
we don't bank with hsbc, so don't think we can use them?

it's all happening here!

cheers!!

M
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:20 pm
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: tranferring money - who to use

I had a very positive chat with Halo Financial at the Emigrate show at the weekend and will use them.

Coincidently, I then spoke with another two people who have used them in the past and had nothing but praise for them.

Mark was the chap I spoke with but Gavin also has a good reputation.

www.halofinancial.com
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

purdie is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't know if its the right way or wrong way, but I just payed the deposit
with my visa debit card. There was no charge for doing it. And I did it from the UK.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

lejado is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mzp
OK, I know there's HIFX, but who else do you use? we're now in Airdrie and need money over soon for the downpayment on a house...

it's all happening here!

cheers!!

M
I would recommend World First. Have a read of their website, they are one of the quickest for sure. http://www.worldfirst.com/index.html
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Hi,

You can use HSBC even if you are not a customer, they will charge £100 to open the account but will open a foreign currency sterling account, chequing account, savings account and credit card, its worht it because of the current rubbish exchange rate you move your sterling into this account and when you see a good rate if there is one go into a HSBC branch and exchange money over and they give you a better rate as well. Hope this helps.

p.s failing that there is hifx and moneycorp and travelex who are all good as well.

Thanks,

MR79
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

I have yet to use them, but have heard favourable things about HSBC.

If you have £50k saved or want to mortgage up to £250k you can get a premier account..... (i think it is called).

you can then open such an account here, but also a reciprocal one in canada for free; either in sterling or dollars. this sounds like a quick and easy way of tranferring funds (and credit history) abroad, which you can then exchange into a different currency if / when you need to or when the rate improves.

but with that said, such services are not limited to just HSBC and indeed, i hear that they have just asked for a 'bailout' from their stakeholders and so might be a dodgey footing right now!
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Hi,

I applied for the accounts and spoke to the people at the branch who were very helpful, if you open a cuurent account then they will introduce you as a customer to the international team and you do not need to be a premier customer, i spoke to the internation team over the phone and they are very helpful and seem to know what they are talking about and will get everything done for you in a week, also you will be charged to keep these accounts open and only your candian chequing account will need a minumum balance to not get charged as well, alot of people have and do use HSBC and because of the current low exchange rate it makes sense to have a sterling account in Canada and then when the rate picks up you can exchange as much or little as you want and have the peace of mind of knowing your bank is doing your transaction....But there are lots of options out there it just makes sense to open an account from here and have a chequing, savings account and credit card ready for when you first arrive in Canada....hope this helps.

Thanks,

MR79
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I used Capital IFX - www.capitalifx.com. Emma is the contact there.

Very good personal service and very helpful when the Canadian Banking System cocked up one of my transfers.
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

act1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to beholdact1980 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mzp

it's all happening here!

cheers!!

M
I have always used XE Trade and they were good
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Irishcpl is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres on I am going to use, I opened a HSBC Plus account for £14 a month it allows you unlimited ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world with no charges. I will be keeping my money in the UK untill the rate gets better!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:31 am
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Irishcpl
Heres on I am going to use, I opened a HSBC Plus account for £14 a month it allows you unlimited ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world with no charges. I will be keeping my money in the UK untill the rate gets better!
Did you 'Go Green' via your internet banking?? I just changed my current account to the same as you but also chose the 'Go Green' option. I only pay £6.25 for the same service.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Irishcpl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcustandy
Did you 'Go Green' via your internet banking?? I just changed my current account to the same as you but also chose the 'Go Green' option. I only pay £6.25 for the same service.
Yeah cheers for that!! Just Went Green! Thanks Mate!
Old Mar 6th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future2008orbust has a brilliant future

Not used any in anger but have to say - had a guy from moneycorp make my life a misery
till i told him to BEEP !

needless to say hes off my list

chap from hi-fx seemed much more reasonable and IS on my list

good points on hsbc - must be worth everybody getting an a/c with them
while they are in the UK just for future eventualities

Last edited by 2008orbust; Mar 6th 2009 at 11:04 am. Reason: change text to say BEEP form ****