Traction Control

Wikiposts

Traction Control

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:33 am
Glaswegian

Default Traction Control

I'm convinced that ABS is an essential.

What about traction control?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't really make any difference ... if the driveway is icy, our big chunk of metal on wheels still has problems getting up the slope.

Maybe if you're a Canadian who hasn't ever been taught how to drive properly it'll make a difference

Thoughts??

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future
Default Re: Traction Control

Traction control aids drive. , traction control stops wheel spins it and allows drive to be slowly, a lot slower than u think to be applied to the drive shafts this enables drive to be put down. no matter how hard you rev the engine, traction control will not let you wheel spin. i use it all the time in my truck on muddy building sites, another advantage is diff locks, this allows the axels to lock independantly and when a wheel tries to spin it is stopped and the drive is spread to non spinning wheels until such a time that the wheel that wanted to spin can make drive, but is spread around all axels. its better with 4 wheel drive

Last edited by George-Ang; Feb 12th 2005 at 8:49 am.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:47 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by George-Ang
Traction control aids drive. for instance, if 1 wheel is spining the traction control kicks in and slows it down, thus enabling the other to drive, if both wheels want to spin, traction control stops it and allows drive to be slowly, a lot slower than u think to be applied to the drive shafts this enables drive to be put down. no matter how hard you rev the engine, traction control will not let you wheel spin. i use it all the time in my truck on muddy building sites, another advantage is diff locks, this has the same effect, but is spread around all axels.
Yes, I understand the theory ... I live in Alberta where the soil is frozen for eight months of the year ... we don't see a lot of mud ... the simple answer to spinning wheels is not to rev so hard.

We were sold it on the basis that it would make driving on ice easier ... in practice if you're going to drive on ice and slide all over the place, traction doesn't do very much apart.

Old Feb 12th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

George-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant futureGeorge-Ang has a brilliant future

May i suggest snow chains i know it sounds ridiculous and a lot of messing about to put them on, and when fitted your restricted in speed.... but they are worth there wait in gold. are they allowed in Canada ? failing that, NAILED tyres
Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:01 am
Glaswegian

May i suggest snow chains i know it sounds ridiculous and a lot of messing about to put them on, and when fitted your restricted in speed.... but they are worth there wait in gold. are they allowed in Canada ? failing that, NAILED tyres
Both are illegal in most of Canada

Old Feb 12th 2005, 9:58 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

In the UK I have a camaro Z28 and I have to say it is a lively monster! I have driven it once without the traction control on and it became a completely an alien species!!! Unpredictable is a major understatement!

By the way I was a bit of a rally driver in my younger days, and I also have a Range Rover which I have driven to the top of the Brecon Beacons, Highlands of Scotland (the mountains I am talking about not using the roads) and down some of the scariest ravines, so I DO know how to drive.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Both are illegal in most of Canada
Why on earth are snow chains illegal??? and you can hunt with a gun.........don't understand
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Very good question frankie, it does not compute that you can shoot animals and walk around with guns BUT not fit snow chains,,,,,,,, they have been known to do quite the opposite of guns....... and save lives !?!?!? is this a DUH! thing?
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:07 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
Why on earth are snow chains illegal??? and you can hunt with a gun.........don't understand
cos they shread the shite out of roads...surprised that studded tyres are illegal in Canada...are in most places in the states though, but there allowed in maine
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Yet although they shredd the shite out of roads, in a thread i was watching and contrubuting to...... there was a response about the damage SNOW ploughs do... i await your comments. snow chains snow ploughs or guns, which does more damage ?
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Yet although they shredd the shite out of roads, in a thread i was watching and contrubuting to...... there was a response about the damage SNOW ploughs do... i await your comments. snow chains snow ploughs or guns, which does more damage ?

Move to Vancouver Island and you won't have to worry about such problems......
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

..... i await your comments. snow chains snow ploughs or guns, which does more damage ?
probably your average driver, who can't drive is more damaging...and yeah, snow ploughs knacker the roads, but then the roads also aren't made to last as long because of the weather.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

So if the average driver cant drive and knackers the roads, what on earth do the "poor" drivers do to them, especially if the poor driver is in command of a snow plough........ looookouttttttt theres a plough coming, quick honey get the snow chains on,,, , NO its to late just shoot the F^cKA lets get out of here...
Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
cos they shread the shite out of roads...surprised that studded tyres are illegal in Canada...are in most places in the states though, but there allowed in maine

Chains and studs are fine if the road is not cleared down to the tarmac and there's a covering of hard snow left. If the road is completely cleared then that's when the damage occurs.
Old Feb 12th 2005, 12:28 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is that if you took your time and drove carefully you shouldn't need all of these fancy gizmoes

Get back to basics Glas and get a feel for your car, who needs ABS and traction control.
How did our Dads drive in snow, none of your fancy gizmoes when they are driving.
Once a car starts to slide on snow or ice, there is no fancy ABS or traction control that will stop you, only experience will do that. ( and a bit of luck )

I drive a 44 ton arctic lorry on a part time basis. When driving them in the snow there is nothing like traction control or ABS to help you in them.
A few of you will say, But you have all of that weight to keep you on the road, Yes but I also have 6 axles that have live braking and if one axle locks up, particulary the trailer, well who knows what could happen. I have been driving these for 15 years now and have never had an accicent in the snow or ice.
Look what happened in Formula One racing, Wee Bernie told them to take all of these things out of the cars and told the drivers to get back to basics, learn how to drive their cars without the aid of computers to control wheel spin, and locking wheels etc.

So as I was saying, take you time and you will be fine

Eddie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.