Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toyota Sienna AWD

Toyota Sienna AWD

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toyota Sienna AWD

Originally Posted by iaink
You are a cynic

FWD has been used to designate Front drive since long before AWD / 4X4 was a relatively common option. It was initially seen as a negative when compared to "traditional" Rear drive design, and found only in cheap and cheerful econoboxes.

Subaru (and others) has spent a lot of money on advertising to get the average buyer to have any idea what AWD stands for, but most are already pretty clued up about RWD and FWD. The real problem is that the subtle differences between 4x4, AWD, 4WD etc are lost on all but the geakiest engineer types.

If you are sticking to the tarmac in canada it doesnt really matter much anyway, all have some benefits beyond 2WD (as long as you are not overconfident as a result), but you would be a fool to spend the money on fancy engineering before you spent it on a decent set of winter tires.
FWD always meant front wheel drive to me. 2WD doesn't tell you which wheels are actually driven does it.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:38 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of which I'm going to get mine put on today. Now here's the thing, the old car tyre spec was 205/55's, the new one 205/60s. I'm reliably told (and sorry for the slight thread drift here) that it's not a problem to put the 205/55 winter tyres on the new car. My guess is there'll be a 5% inaccuracy on the speedo (so I'll be going slower than the clock shows) and I'll be putting 5% more kms on the clock.

Does that sound right to you?

... fancy engineering before you spent it on a decent set of winter tires.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Speaking of which I'm going to get mine put on today. Now here's the thing, the old car tyre spec was 205/55's, the new one 205/60s. I'm reliably told (and sorry for the slight thread drift here) that it's not a problem to put the 205/55 winter tyres on the new car. My guess is there'll be a 5% inaccuracy on the speedo (so I'll be going slower than the clock shows) and I'll be putting 5% more kms on the clock.

Does that sound right to you?
Assuming the rims are the same diameter (16 or 17" or whatever) 205/55 will have a smaller rolling radius then 205/60s.

If I've got this right in my head, so you will be going slower than indicated if you use a 55 in place of a standard 60, and the odometer will be over reading.

You can get a more exact idea of the mismatch:

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp

As a general rule as long as the overall diameter is smaller then you wont do any harm. If they are a bit bigger then you might have clearance issues to the bodywork.

Because I'm cheap I got wheels an inch smaller and went up to a larger tire cross section and narrower rubber to keep the rolling radius the same... smaller rims and larger rubber tend to cost a lot less...its all good as long as there is room within the smaller wheels for the brakes. You dont necessarily have to stick to expensive lower profile rubber for winter tires, after all, you are not likely to be driving in such an aggressive way that the lower side wall of performance tires adds to the overall handling significantly.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 2nd 2009 at 4:09 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:12 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Iain.

If I've got this right in my head, so you will be going slower than indicated if you use a 55 in place of a standard 60, and the odometer will be over reading.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:44 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
FWD always meant front wheel drive to me. 2WD doesn't tell you which wheels are actually driven does it.
What he said. ^^^
Old Nov 15th 2009, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

squargle is an unknown quantity at this point

Why would anyone not want a four wheel drive in a country with ice on the roads for 3 months of the year ?
I am constantly amazed that people buy 2wd SUVs - a big ugly car that still gets stuck!
Yes you can manage with 2wd and good winter tyres but any kind of four wheel drive can make the difference between getting up that icy hill or not,
There were a few journeys I made last winter that would not have been possible in a 2wd . I live in a semi-rural area with some hills and sometimes have to be out before the snowplow comes.
Toyota Sienna appears to be a good well designed MPV and the four wheel drive option would make it a good all year round vehicle
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by squargle
Why would anyone not want a four wheel drive in a country with ice on the roads for 3 months of the year ?
I am constantly amazed that people buy 2wd SUVs - a big ugly car that still gets stuck!
Yes you can manage with 2wd and good winter tyres but any kind of four wheel drive can make the difference between getting up that icy hill or not,
There were a few journeys I made last winter that would not have been possible in a 2wd . I live in a semi-rural area with some hills and sometimes have to be out before the snowplow comes.
Toyota Sienna appears to be a good well designed MPV and the four wheel drive option would make it a good all year round vehicle
Doesn't make stopping any easier though, and as a lot of people buy AWD's for the safety, traction doesn't necessarily keep you safe.
Old Nov 15th 2009, 11:15 pm

The vast majority of roads in populated parts of Canada do not have ice on them for three months of the year.

We do actually clear the roads of snow and ice.

Four wheel drive is just not necessary.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:46 am
Just Joined

Yes , I'm very impressed by the efficiancy of snow removal operations but here in Atlantic Canada there is often a daytime melt nightime freeze situation than can leave roads that are just a sheet of ice.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 1:58 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in Atlantic Canada are you?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:39 am

Yes , I'm very impressed by the efficiancy of snow removal operations but here in Atlantic Canada there is often a daytime melt nightime freeze situation that can leave roads that are just a sheet of ice.
But four wheel drive is not really going to help it that situation.

That's were you need decent rubber, read good winter tires.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:24 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

Decent Rubber can ALWAYS stop you getting in trouble.
Old Nov 16th 2009, 9:52 am
Just Joined

Please dont misunderstand me , four wheel drive is not a substitute for winter tyres but can make a big difference to traction and stability when the going is difficult . It doesnt help you stop any quicker though. It can also lead to overconfidence which is why in winter you see so many 4x4's in the ditch! Studded winter tyres and anti-lock brakes can also be a big help
In Short;
2wd + winter tyres = OK
4wd + winter tyres = Better
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P

After looking at a number of SUV/MPVs the one we've gone for is the Honda Odyssey. It's FWD and should be okay with winter tyres. In terms of interior space the SUVs such as Pilot/Higlander/Pathfinder are very inferior and the ones with decent space Yukon/Sequoia are expensive towing vehicles.

Would you recomend anywhere in particular in Calgary to get winter tyres/steel rims. Is Costco as good as anywhere?
Old Nov 16th 2009, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jimf
Is Costco as good as anywhere?
I would think so.

I do know they will only put the same rated tires on your vehicle that the manufacturer calls for. I wanted to go with an "S rated" tire on a car instead of an "H rated" and they refused to install them, stated liability concerns.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.