Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Vancouver

Toronto or Vancouver

Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or Vancouver

Originally Posted by dboy
I agree with much of what you say. Vancouver is a sleepy big town, rather than a large, urban metropolis. And yes parts are plain ugly, such as the tower blocks of the west end. Other areas of downtown have a built last week feel (acutely most were built in the last 10 years or so).

But i can't imagine who would not be gobsmaked at the views of the ocean, mountains etc, be it a stroll along falsecreek, coal harbour or ambleside. Many equate natural settings with the beauty and livability of a place, be it a move to the country, the edge of a lake, a beach community or a peninsula nestled between oceans, mountains and beaches.

For me, Vancouver's connection to the outdoors it what makes it livable. i've lived in much more relevant cities when it comes to built form, Edinburgh comes to mind, but the access to what Vancouver has to offer has given me more pleasure, and given the prices in real estate, it would seem many agree. I think the natural setting has made Vancouver lazy.

if you want hip and trendy, better head to TO or back across the pond to London.
I agree. I remember going up Grouse Mountain and looking down at Vancouver and the ocean. The view was amazing. Simply stunning.

To each his own. Some will prefer Vancouver. Some will like somewhere else better. The same person might even have different preferences at different stages of life.

It's a good thing that Canadian cities such as Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are so different from each other. The one thing they have in common is that they are all part of the greatest country on earth.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 4:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zercher
I'm here in Van a month and a day, and while I reckon it's the kind of place that could grow on you, I'm with that guy Rog - I'm pretty much underwhelmed and bemused at all the reports/comments that I read and heard about how amazing and beautiful Vancouver is.

It's the most laid back place I've ever been to (which is sweet, in a way), but it's more like a big sleepy town than a city! There is no real buzz or feeling of life walking round town. Beautiful - how??! It's def the most bland city I've ever been to and ugly in parts - the stone tower blocks in the West End and overlooking English Bay are a case in point - they are reminiscent of the Ballymun of old in Dublin! Now I haven't been outside the city and definitely they are nice parts - Kitsilano is pretty beautiful and has a really nice, great vibe. Lovely looking beach houses and avenues and very chilled. But to me saying Vancouver is beautiful because of the mountains and surrounding areas is like saying Dublin is beautiful because of the Dublin mountains!! I don't get it.

Don't want to come across as harsh and I realise I'm only here a wee while, but there is no wow factor here and I'm a bit bemused by it all
Out of curiosity, why move to Vancouver?

Last edited by el_richo; Oct 13th 2010 at 5:22 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:10 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I agree. I remember going up Grouse Mountain and looking down at Vancouver and the ocean. The view was amazing. Simply stunning.

To each his own. Some will prefer Vancouver. Some will like somewhere else better. The same person might even have different preferences at different stages of life.

It's a good thing that Canadian cities such as Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal are so different from each other. The one thing they have in common is that they are all part of the greatest country on earth.
Very true about life stages, when I was younger i was not impressed with the lack of night life (and it was considerably worse then), now I don't care as much, as bopping till all hours is not a part of my life, nor is trying to make friends or get a career going.

I do struggle at times with lack of character, where I live is seriously lacking in that department. But having said that, my modern aparment is more livable than a character apartment and the views of downtown, grouse mountain and the lions, sure helps, so there's a compromise.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:17 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Very true about life stages, when I was younger i was not impressed with the lack of night life (and it was considerably worse then), now I don't care as much, as bopping till all hours is not a part of my life, nor is trying to make friends or get a career going.

I do struggle at times with lack of character, where I live is seriously lacking in that department. But having said that, my modern aparment is more livable than a character apartment and the views of downtown, grouse mountain and the lions, sure helps, so there's a compromise.
The view of downtown from where you are is one of the best there is imo.

As much as I don't like the monolithic buildings and the almost soviet adherence to a single building style, from a distance they do look very striking.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:28 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

It truly has. If people think its bad now, they should have seen it when i got here in 1993! I say give the place another 5 - 10 years till it finally grows up. Sure is neat to watch the little fella shoot up though!

How do you find the state of teh buildings/hoods here when comapred to OZ and New Zealand?
Hmmm, depends. Where Van wins hands down over those cities is that people have actually thought about the future and how to make it work with transit etc, as opposed to just letting things sprawl on and on outwards without decent infrastructure. Vancouverism really works imo, having lived in cities of approx. the same age where there was no planning vision. But, I do think NZers are more willing to experiment with architecture than people here are. One thing I don't understand is why so many developments have to look the same, faux-colonial or faux arts and crafts. It's so boring. I can't decide if Canadians really like to play it safe with their homes or if the developers are too afraid to try something different and give people the choice. Maybe that's why character homes are so sought after? One thing that impressed the OH and I even in Palmy North, where I'm from, is how people are willing to build very modernist homes and try something different. But I also think the building standards here are much higher. I lived in some apartments in oz & nz that may have well been made of nylon for all the soundproofing and insulation they had.

Modern buildings wise I don't think Melbourne or Sydney, Auckland or Welly are much chop either. The old buildings are nice but old colonial buildings look good everywhere. I wish cities hung onto their character buildings more. But the new ones? meh. I dont remember being particularly blown away by architecture there, lots of brown brick & glass, which on hot days seemed to just add to the sense of being in a sauna. There isn't really a unifying vision like Van, there's no sense of needing to keep view corridors - one street of glass towers is much like another. The harbour area in Sydney is beautiful, but like M/ned pointed out, that's natural scenery not man-made. The most interesting modern buildings I've seen were in Asia- Hong Kong etc.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Oct 13th 2010 at 5:30 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
or if the developers are too afraid to try something different and give people the choice
This I think. Why take a risk? To make money a large scale residential home builder has to convert buildings into cash as quickly as possible. Interesting homes take longer to sell.

There are modern, architect designed, homes about but they are often built by wealthy owners who can afford large enough lots to hide their homes from the street.
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I guess my point is that I didn't have that same problem in other major cities. Whether I lived in them or visited them for a short time, I was able to find stuff fairly easily. It just didn't happen in Vancouver. Although now that I think of it, Ottawa is another city that I found to be a bit dull.

I understand your points about architecture. I think when people describe Vancouver as beautiful, they really are talking about the stunning setting(ocean, mountains, beaches, Stanley Park, etc) rather than the city infrastructure. That was the point I was trying to make there.
Ottawa is okay in the small downtown core/By market area; otherwise, that's about it. Horrible climate, more humid than Toronto in summer and colder in winter.

I spent 23 years commuting in the GTA and hated it but I stuck it because I had a good job there. Otherwise, there are some really nice places on the outskirts of Toronto such as Stratford/Lake Huron area, Mennonite country, Halton Hills, Niagara escarpment, Trent system, etc. Like they say on the licence plate, you have to get out and discover these places.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Zercher is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by el_richo
Out of curiosity, why move to Vancouver?
I had never visited Van or even Canada before, but I wanted to live and work and experience life abroad for a while and had heard amazing things about Vancouver. I also wanted to be close to the States so I could travel round it as much as possible. I haven't 'emigrated' like nearly all you folks on here, the plan was to come for around a year
Old Oct 14th 2010, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

Rodge9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Wat til the first snow fall on the mountains in the next few weeks - you will get up in the morning and look at them and say - wow! or maybe awesome :0)
If he can see them through the clouds that is ...seriously they are very pretty with snow on them and I do remember looking up at them when it was unseasonably warm/clear back in February working at the Olympic Village and thinking this was a pretty unique and fantastic experience - which it was, regardless of the opinions I subsequently formed on Vancouver

Ok two things which a friend of mine, originally from TO but who moved to Van some years ago (he's mid-30s) mentioned to me, were that in his opinion:

1) A lot of people from Vancouver hate Toronto and think the people there believe it to be the centre of the universe. However, the dislike is certainly not reciprocal and that a lot of people in Toronto actually like the idea of moving out to Vancouver and see it as some sort of laid-back, temperate west coast paradise.

2) People in Vancouver use the mountains, beaches and outdoor activities as reasons why it's a great city, even though they never (or rarely) do any of said activities.

I think I've been in Toronto long enough and spoken to enough people here now to say that I definitely agree with (1). Not so sure about (2) but it makes a certain amount of sense...

Incidentally I don't know why my friend hasn't left Vancouver, he didn't seem to know either...