Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto suburbs/ outer communities

Toronto suburbs/ outer communities

Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto suburbs/ outer communities

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
This is a problem where the unwary can get badly burned. There is a complicated dynamic going on at the moment with the listing prices of houses. It has been the practice in Toronto for some years now to underlist a property (so if, for example, the house is worth around $1.1Mi, the agent would list it at $800-900k), and then set a date and time for all offers. This strategy attracts those that know what its really worth and are prepared to pay for it, and also those that think they are going to get it for the list price, thus generating multiple offers. The more offers there are then generally the more over the list price the property goes for. So this strategy can net you 1.3mi for that 1.1mi house if you get enough offers and one person crazy (or competitive) enough to pay that price. $1.3mi then becomes the new benchmark for the street - hence the leaps in prices. Remember the bidders have no idea what the other offers are.
Could you please explain to me the logic behind such a system. If no-one knows what the other offers are, how does one "beat" other offers? I could see how that would work if those bidding knew what the current highest offer is.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 1:34 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
That's interesting. I'd have thought the Catholics would have wanted to get the children at their most gullible.
You beat me to that!
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Could you please explain to me the logic behind such a system. If no-one knows what the other offers are, how does one "beat" other offers? I could see how that would work if those bidding knew what the current highest offer is.
I only wish I could explain it. I couldn't agree more, but those are the rules. Real estate salespeople are expressly forbidden to reveal the details of any offer to other bidders. The way to 'beat' other offers is to offer a stupidly high amount, and that is how we are seeing houses that are correctly priced selling for so much over the list price. For a house priced at $800k with 8 offers, 7 of them could be $810k, it only takes one to bid $950k and there it is sold at $150k over asking.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

The real estate industry in Canada sucks compared to rightmove UK, zoopla UK even the US realtor.com that have way way more information for a purchaser or seller.

In Canada a listing where the price isn't shown, that a potential interest in a property one must call to get details of it or what the price is from the agent. You'll never get the agent on the first call or it goes to voicemail

A listing on 'realtor.ca' is basic basic. Its doesn't give property tax details, the current owners yearly approximate utility costs, what the comparable house in the same street or area have sold for in the last 12 months

even a basic UK property has all the details including a floor plan & the cost of everything. So why not in Canada eh?

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...3ab451389ef54c

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/det...3ab451389ef54c

So, buyer & seller beware from the protected archaic realestate industry in Canada

That 'the real estate agent is not your friend'

Last edited by not2old; Feb 14th 2017 at 2:23 pm.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I only wish I could explain it. I couldn't agree more, but those are the rules. Real estate salespeople are expressly forbidden to reveal the details of any offer to other bidders. The way to 'beat' other offers is to offer a stupidly high amount, and that is how we are seeing houses that are correctly priced selling for so much over the list price. For a house priced at $800k with 8 offers, 7 of them could be $810k, it only takes one to bid $950k and there it is sold at $150k over asking.
I understand H. I thought US house buying and selling was odd...it's nothing compared to The Canadian system.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I understand H. I thought US house buying and selling was odd...it's nothing compared to The Canadian system.
I got into the industry 7 years ago and it was relatively sane then, in that you could tell a buyer to think about it overnight and maybe take a second viewing before putting in an offer without competition and with conditions, like home inspection. This past year has been impossible, I find it very difficult to encourage people to put down $100-200k more for a house than the data support with no home inspection or financing condition. And that is why I am currently 500km away from the GTA real estate market watching the snow rise above the windowsill.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:43 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

on the basis that I am looking to purchase a property in the GTA these days.

That I have to sign a representation form with an agent

That the agent is totally bored out of their head if you want a day of it seeing several properties.

That if the agent gets any sense one is what you are after, then its the 'hard sell' tatic, anything from 'it wont be here tomorrow, to if you really want it then put in the asking price, maybe even go over,with zero conditions.

As a seller, I'm having to sign a 90 day representation agreement with the brokerage.

Agents have different approaches on a listing. Tough as nails on commission, most have zero flexability, especially those big 'red, white & blue' ones where agents have to pay a desk fee.

I'd be told as a seller to get a pre-inspection done (paid by me) because this will show any flaws that can be corrected or make it an easy sell.

That I must have open houses which is for the agents benefit

That I must have a lock box

That to sell it fast list it at the price of the last sold prices in the area, or lower so we might get multiple offer

and on and on

Although in today's 2017 GTA or Greater Vancouver area goodness knows what will happen starting in the spring?

Maybe this will be the year to sell, or maybe next year?

What about the potential first time purchasers - seems they haven't a hope in hell of getting to own a home in the GTA or greater Vancouver area.

Well there is always making a first time purchase at least 100km away from the unaffordable properties
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the case for all sales or just those that are being listed as part of the scheme you describe above?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is that the case for all sales or just those that are being listed as part of the scheme you describe above?
I'm pretty sure in Ontario it is forbidden...don't know above the rest of Canada. At least that's what we've been told by the realtors we have used.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

All offers. It's in the legislation that governs real estate transactions in Ontario (it may well be different elsewhere). O.Reg 580/05 under REBBA 2002. Subsection 26(1)

26. (1) If a brokerage that has a seller as a client receives a competing written offer, the brokerage shall disclose the number of competing written offers to every person who is making one of the competing offers, but shall not disclose the substance of the competing offers. O. Reg. 580/05, s. 26 (1).
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I got into the industry 7 years ago and it was relatively sane then, in that you could tell a buyer to think about it overnight and maybe take a second viewing before putting in an offer without competition and with conditions, like home inspection. This past year has been impossible, I find it very difficult to encourage people to put down $100-200k more for a house than the data support with no home inspection or financing condition. And that is why I am currently 500km away from the GTA real estate market watching the snow rise above the windowsill.
I remember reading about similar practices in Brampton. The property had many offers and went for approx $200K above ask.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 3:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Ok. There might be the odd one. Peel, Simcoe and Hamilton don't. Which covers a big portion of the area.
Hamilton can.
Non-Catholic Child - Parent/Guardian Non-Catholic School Supporters

The Board may admit the non-Catholic elementary school child whose
parent/Guardian is not a Catholic school supporter following a review of the
application for admission by the School Admissions Committee as per policy
statement number 6. The parent/guardian will be required to complete the
Admission Expectations for Students form acknowledging acceptance of the
admission requirements
It is possible in Simcoe, but not simple.

For Brant Haldimand Norfolk it's also possible but not simple.

What these boards say on their general website and what their board policy states doesn't always match up, so it's worthwhile doing a search for 'non Catholic admittance process'

Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hamilton can.
Non-Catholic Child - Parent/Guardian Non-Catholic School Supporters

The Board may admit the non-Catholic elementary school child whose
parent/Guardian is not a Catholic school supporter following a review of the
application for admission by the School Admissions Committee as per policy
statement number 6. The parent/guardian will be required to complete the
Admission Expectations for Students form acknowledging acceptance of the
admission requirements
It is possible in Simcoe, but not simple.

For Brant Haldimand Norfolk it's also possible but not simple.

What these boards say on their general website and what their board policy states doesn't always match up, so it's worthwhile doing a search for 'non Catholic admittance process'

Wouldn't life for parents be so much simpler with just one school board and keeping religion out of the school board offerings. It would make the idea of children walking to schools in their neighbourhood be a realistic option.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by not2old
on the basis that I am looking to purchase a property in the GTA these days.

That I have to sign a representation form with an agent
that's because there has been a trend for people to use local agents to show them properties then get their cousin or friend with a licence to write up the offer. I don't like to ask Buyers to commit until we have be out a few times and they can hopefully see the value. I have been burned a few times where I have spent hours with people only for them to buy through someone else

That the agent is totally bored out of their head if you want a day of it seeing several properties.
that's not acceptable - complain

That if the agent gets any sense one is what you are after, then its the 'hard sell' tatic, anything from 'it wont be here tomorrow, to if you really want it then put in the asking price, maybe even go over,with zero conditions.
thats not hard sell tactics that's just the hard facts of the current GTA market.

As a seller, I'm having to sign a 90 day representation agreement with the brokerage.
not sure about all boards but my local Mls rules require a minimum 60 day listing

Agents have different approaches on a listing. Tough as nails on commission, most have zero flexability, especially those big 'red, white & blue' ones where agents have to pay a desk fee.
shop around, but remember cheapest isn't always the best. That person is going to have access to your house, pick the person you are most comfortable with

I'd be told as a seller to get a pre-inspection done (paid by me) because this will show any flaws that can be corrected or make it an easy sell.
because buyers are having to come in with no conditions a pre inspection is getting more common. Not sure, as a buyer's agent, I would trust it that much unless I was familiar with the inspector and knew him to be honest

That I must have open houses which is for the agents benefit
there seems to be an increasing number of people looking via a Open Houses with the intention of offering directly through the listing agent, in an often misguided effort to increase their chances of getting the house, however you absolutely do not have to have one if you don't want it.

That I must have a lock box
you don't have to, but the easier and more pleasant you make it for the buyers to see your house the more people will want to buy it, the more offers you will get and ultimately the best price.

That to sell it fast list it at the price of the last sold prices in the area, or lower so we might get multiple offer
depending on exactly where your house is, that advice probably will get you the best price

and on and on

Although in today's 2017 GTA or Greater Vancouver area goodness knows what will happen starting in the spring?

Maybe this will be the year to sell, or maybe next year?

What about the potential first time purchasers - seems they haven't a hope in hell of getting to own a home in the GTA or greater Vancouver area.
true
Well there is always making a first time purchase at least 100km away from the unaffordable properties
See embedded comments.

Further on the Open House thing, as I mentioned I recently sold my own house and I held a couple of Open Houses. It was a weird experience hosting in your own home and some of the comments were quite eye opening - particularly the 'have the owners gone into a retirement home' one. There were a couple of people that were interested in offering but only through the listing agent. I explained that I was the listing agent but also the home owner and did they really want me to represent their interests too in the purchase? Amazingly one guy couldn't understand the conflict of interest because he had read somewhere that he would get it cheaper through the listing agent.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am aware that we have somewhat hijacked the OPs thread. Hopefully some of the discussion has provided them with useful background information. To summarize:

-secondary school age children can readily attend Catholic schools, elementary age may or may not depending on the board and how many hoops you have to jump through to get permission.

-Buying a house in the GTA is a nightmare.

-Check out any commute that you may be considering at the time you will be commuting as some routes are unbelievably congested.

Last edited by HGerchikov; Feb 14th 2017 at 4:15 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.