Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Shop wages advice needed

Toronto Shop wages advice needed

Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto Shop wages advice needed

Hey can anyone tell me what should be expected as a starting wage for shop associate kinda work.

I am approaching 40 and will be going back to college to do a course very soon and am looking for something part time to fill in.

Also if you are offered a starting salary, for example an hourly wage which is the stores starting scale, are you expected to try and negotiate?

Many thanks

Rob
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Toronto Shop wages advice needed

I can tell you Peterborough rates. Sears pay $9 an hour and Costco $11.

Timmies and McD pay more, especially if you get to be a supervisor when you can earn $14, more than you earn as a teller in a bank at $13.

If you get a job on campus, at Fleming College they pay 9 or 10$ an hour.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

No idea about Toronto, but I can tell you what I was paid when I worked in The Bay in Calgary 18 months ago - I was paid $10.50/hour.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Roots in Calgary were paying $10 an hour and offer up to 60% discount on their clothes ! Safeways/Starbucks were paying $10.65 and a whopping 10% off some own brand groceries in Safeways. You are not going to get rich, but it's an income of sorts. Pick somewhere with a line of produce that a potential discount would be useful to you, ie, Chapters and text books perhaps
Old Oct 21st 2008, 1:33 am
ck1
Forum Regular

ck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura aboutck1 has a spectacular aura about

$8-12 an hour, downtown Toronto
Old Oct 21st 2008, 11:42 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum wage in Ontario is $8.75 an hour, so expect not much more than that depending on the store.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:06 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Minimum wage in Ontario is $8.75 an hour, so expect not much more than that depending on the store.
Especially to start with. Lots of places are already gearing up for temporary workers for Christmas.

A job at minimum wage is still a job until a better-paying one turns up.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Especially to start with. Lots of places are already gearing up for temporary workers for Christmas.

A job at minimum wage is still a job until a better-paying one turns up.
I'm glad you said that. MOH took a job as a Security Guard at minimum wage when we arrived. He wanted to be at work and not stuck at home festering, and took the view that its easier to get a job if you have one. Around that time I was talking to another Briton who said her husband was still looking for work. When I told her there were jobs as a security guard, her comment was that "they wanted something rather better than that"

That snobby view of what you do for a living being important is one of the reasons we came here.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:31 pm
Swollen Member

geo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond reputegeo4 has a reputation beyond repute

Try and get in at the LCBO if you are after seasonal work. They pay $15 an hour.

Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I'm glad you said that. MOH took a job as a Security Guard at minimum wage when we arrived. He wanted to be at work and not stuck at home festering, and took the view that its easier to get a job if you have one.
I agree. I'm get very bored easily, and until I was able to work here legally I did voluntary work just to get me out of the house. I met some interesting people, experience in the Canadian way of doing things, and a good reference out of it too.
Old Oct 21st 2008, 5:44 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

A bartender told me that he makes $11 an hour basic, and then "easily" another $10-20 an hour on top of that in tips.