Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto Pearson landing experience with COPR.

Toronto Pearson landing experience with COPR.

Old Apr 26th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

GazGsm1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto Pearson landing experience with COPR.

Hi All,

Yesterday I arrived at TO, so I'll give you a brief account of what occurred with Immigration etc.

We completed our declaration cards shortly after take off. Landed from Glasgow at 11 am TO time at Terminal 3. Collected baggage at proceeded to CBSA. On arriving at the desk, I produced my COPR. The CSBA Officer read my declaration card. Ticked a long the top on both sides and drew a line from top right to bottom left.

Told me to proceed to Immigration.

An Officer called me forward. I handed over my COPR forms. We spoke very briefly, but in a nice friendly manner. He then wrote a 4 digit number on the forms, signed the date at two points on each form, stamped both forms. Then asked me my address in Canada. Once he was informed of that, he signed both COPR's and then I signed. He then informed me that I'll receive my PR card within six weeks or so.

All in all. I was in Immigration for less than 10 mins and everything was completed.

Just thought I would share my experience for anyone else that will be arriving in Canada through Pearson T3.

All the best to you all ,

Garry
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto Pearson landing experience with COPR.

Originally Posted by GazGsm1
Hi All,

Yesterday I arrived at TO, so I'll give you a brief account of what occurred with Immigration etc.

We completed our declaration cards shortly after take off. Landed from Glasgow at 11 am TO time at Terminal 3. Collected baggage at proceeded to CBSA. On arriving at the desk, I produced my COPR. The CSBA Officer read my declaration card. Ticked a long the top on both sides and drew a line from top right to bottom left.

An Officer called me forward. I handed over my COPR forms. We spoke very briefly, but in a nice friendly manner. He then wrote a 4 digit number on the forms, signed the date at two points on each form, stamped both forms. Then asked me my address in Canada. Once he was informed of that, he signed both COPR's and then I signed. He then informed me that I'll receive my PR card within six weeks or so.

All in all. I was in Immigration for less than 10 mins and everything was completed.

Just thought I would share my experience for anyone else that will be arriving in Canada through Pearson T3.

Garry
Hi Garry, I ,too ,landed from Glasgow at Terminal 3 on 7th March and the immigration process was super fast. However I was asked for my goods to follow lists despite the fact I explained I was returning home in a month and not establishing a residence. It was a good job I had brought the lists with me anyway. I did not get a welcome pack as there was no one at that desk. However my PR card has still not arrived at my daughter's address but I have read on this forum that it could take up to 12 weeks to arrive. I then went to the customs area where my lists were looked at and a total value added and then stamped and I retained one copy. So then it was just a case of through the doors and into the arms of my family.

The girl in immigration said it wouldn't be a problem coming back in without my PR card as they could just check on their system to see I had PR.

I came back home on 4th April and put my house up for sale last Sunday,and the first viewer who came on Tuesday put in a good offer on Wednesday so I may be heading back to Canada much sooner than expected as the housing market certainly seems to be picking up... just wish the exchange rate would as well.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Coming back without the PR card is no problem for CBSA as they indeed can look it up but it might be a problem for the airline you'll fly with. They don't have to let you board if you can't show them proof of status. Either PR cards or you can get a letter from the embassy I think. There have been discussions on BE whether or not you need your PR cards. Most airline state in their term and conditions that you will need proof of status. We've never been asked. Something to check before booking a flight though.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Granma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond reputeGranma Nessie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Coming back without the PR card is no problem for CBSA as they indeed can look it up but it might be a problem for the airline you'll fly with. They don't have to let you board if you can't show them proof of status. Either PR cards or you can get a letter from the embassy I think. There have been discussions on BE whether or not you need your PR cards. Most airline state in their term and conditions that you will need proof of status. We've never been asked. Something to check before booking a flight though.
I shall book a return flight , Nina, just to be on the safe side.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is the wrong thread to post on most likely, but I also arrived back at YYZ yesterday on AF from CDG.

They (YYZ) have introduced a new system which they call Automatic Border Control whereby rather than stand in effectively infinite queues to be (not) interviewed by a CBSA lackey, Canadian residents (citizens and PRs) can simply scan the stupid customs declaration and either a passport or PR card and waltz on through.

I have to say it's a huge improvement and makes YYZ slightly tolerable.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:31 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

When we landed at t 3 from Vegas there were big signs advertising that new service thingy for citizens and prs
There was no sign of the alleged machines in the arrivals hall place
There wasn't a line up for any of the desks though so probably wouldn't have saved any time

I have a feeling they could work out like the self service check outs at candian tire
I always end up arguing with them
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Granma Nessie
I shall book a return flight , Nina, just to be on the safe side.
It doesn't matter if return or not. This is from the Air Canada terms and conditions regarding travel docs and like I said AC is not that strict

"Foreign nationals must ensure that they have all of the necessary documents in hand (e.g. valid passport, visa, permanent resident card). "

Get in touch with the airline you'll fly and see what they require and if need be get a travel document http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/travel.asp

But it's up to you, we never got questioned, but that doesn't mean we couldn't have.

Novocastrian nice improvement, shame we usually fly from YOW. Maybe in 10 years, we'll have something like that here, too

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Apr 26th 2013 at 10:03 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 9:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
When we landed at t 3 from Vegas there were big signs advertising that new service thingy for citizens and prs
There was no sign of the alleged machines in the arrivals hall place
There wasn't a line up for any of the desks though so probably wouldn't have saved any time

I have a feeling they could work out like the self service check outs at candian tire
I always end up arguing with them
This was T3. The machines are there now. They worked reasonably well for me except that, unaware that I would be dealing with artificial intelligence rather than unintelligence, I wrote the word "zero" in the box for total value of goods I was bringing back. This took but a moment to rectify though.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This was T3. The machines are there now. They worked reasonably well for me except that, unaware that I would be dealing with artificial intelligence rather than unintelligence, I wrote the word "zero" in the box for total value of goods I was bringing back. This took but a moment to rectify though.
Wow writing the word zero instead of the figure 0 some might question the intelligence behind that Would you have written Eight Hundred or 800.00 had you brought goods back to declare.
Ah yes the ABC machines coming to an airport near you soon.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 1:19 pm
Andrew

chiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to allchiefmissile is a name known to all

Originally Posted by GazGsm1
Hi All,

Garry
Garry,

Many congratulations on your landing, and thanks for posting your experience, good to know that it was painless, unlike your PR Process.

Can I ask when your application went "In Process" on E-CAS, just trying to work out when we will get our MR. Ideally we would like to think we would have our COPR by Aug, but as time ticks by its looking less likely. We have sent the requested RPRF and other documents and our application went "In Process" on 10 Apr.

Good luck and hope you all settle relatively quickly.

Best Regards

Drew
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:04 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
It doesn't matter if return or not. This is from the Air Canada terms and conditions regarding travel docs and like I said AC is not that strict :
This has been discussed endlessly here. No-one, to the best of my knowledge actually has been refused or has been with someone thats refused travel on AC or other airlines without a PR card. Nevertheless, presumably the OP has a copy of the their COPR document, the one that you retain. For comfort it might be useful to take that with you if travelling without a PR card.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you GazGsm1 and good luck with everything! It's nice to read some good news here on BE also
Old Apr 27th 2013, 2:55 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Wow writing the word zero instead of the figure 0 some might question the intelligence behind that Would you have written Eight Hundred or 800.00 had you brought goods back to declare.
Ah yes the ABC machines coming to an airport near you soon.
I would have written "zero".
Old Apr 27th 2013, 5:38 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Novo I do hope not that you are back from La Belle France, you aren't going to abandon your jolly froggie image? I smile every time I see him!
Old Apr 27th 2013, 5:48 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by MillieF
Novo I do hope not that you are back from La Belle France, you aren't going to abandon your jolly froggie image? I smile every time I see him!
I'm only visiting. I'll be back in France in 8 weeks so I'll keep him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.