Toronto the good....?

Toronto the good....?

Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Toronto the good....?

Originally Posted by Mctree
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=968793972154

For those of you who don't know Toronto, this is the equivelent of Oxford Street in London.

Why is it getting so bad here?

I wouldn't say Yonge street compared to Oxford Street. Also, the number of shootings this year is only made to seem more of a crisis by political opportunits. If you are not involved in drugs, gangs or criminal activity, your chance of being injured or killed by a round fired from a gun are so close to zero it is hard to tell the difference.

You may find it of interest that you have a greater chance of being injured playing volleyball than turkey hunting even though there are so many guns involved. You never hear of the politicians wanting to ban volleyballs.

Don't worry about the crime. If you are looking to escape it completely you can't go anywhere in the world to get away from it. It really isn't so bad here at all.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:10 am
Forum Regular

kbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant futurekbryant has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=CWEMM02]I wouldn't say Yonge street compared to Oxford Street. Also, the number of shootings this year is only made to seem more of a crisis by political opportunits. If you are not involved in drugs, gangs or criminal activity, your chance of being injured or killed by a round fired from a gun are so close to zero it is hard to tell the difference.

I doubt the 15 yr old girl who was shot dead while shopping with her parents on Boxing Day was " involved in drugs, gangs or criminal activity,....." nor the baby girl sitting on a bus on Jane St. a few months back. What's your point ?
Old Dec 28th 2005, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcexit

the modern town planning disaster of Milton Keynes. .
[/QUOTE]

i live near milton keynes and am there most weekends for shopping, theatre, cinema, restaurants- i don't consider it a planning disaster at all. There are buses, cycle routes, bridle ways, walkways.

granted its not everyones cup of tea as its very "north american" but its not a planning disaster.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:06 am
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
I wouldn't say Yonge street compared to Oxford Street. Also, the number of shootings this year is only made to seem more of a crisis by political opportunits. If you are not involved in drugs, gangs or criminal activity, your chance of being injured or killed by a round fired from a gun are so close to zero it is hard to tell the difference.

You may find it of interest that you have a greater chance of being injured playing volleyball than turkey hunting even though there are so many guns involved. You never hear of the politicians wanting to ban volleyballs.

Don't worry about the crime. If you are looking to escape it completely you can't go anywhere in the world to get away from it. It really isn't so bad here at all.
Never heard of anyone being killed by a volleyball while out shopping.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
Never heard of anyone being killed by a volleyball while out shopping.
A lunatic threw baseballs at us and other passers-by whilst out shopping last year. In Toronto funnily enough. I didn't hang around long enough to see if he managed to hit anyone else, the fortunate thing for us about his obvious substance abuse was a distinct lack of co-ordination
Old Dec 28th 2005, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=kbryant]
Originally Posted by CWEMM02

I doubt the 15 yr old girl who was shot dead while shopping with her parents on Boxing Day was " involved in drugs, gangs or criminal activity,....." nor the baby girl sitting on a bus on Jane St. a few months back. What's your point ?
The point is that very few of the people who have died as a result of gun violence in Toronto this year have not been involved in some sort of criminality. Of course it is quite appalling that a young girl should lose her life in such a manner. I am pointing out that this is a rare event and not an indication of life in Toronto. One should certainly not be concerned about one's safety.

I am also pointing out that if one is to be very worried about being shot in Toronto, then one should not engage in many mundane activity due to the much higher rate of injury many of these activities carry.