Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto: family orientated areas

Toronto: family orientated areas

Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Question Toronto: family orientated areas

My wife and I are hoping to move to Canada. Toronto is our chosen destination (although that may change). What we are trying to find out is which are the "family orientated" parts of Toronto? We have 2 children and so are looking for an area that has good access to schools.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto: family orientated areas

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
My wife and I are hoping to move to Canada. Toronto is our chosen destination (although that may change). What we are trying to find out is which are the "family orientated" parts of Toronto? We have 2 children and so are looking for an area that has good access to schools.
Anywhere but, Jane&Finch, Parkdale, some parts of Scarborough.
Old Sep 7th 2006, 11:51 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Hello welcome to the forum DB has given you about the best advice he can with the extremely limited information you supplied.

How would you answer the same question if asked about London?

first thing about thinking about coming to Canada is to understand what you want. Do you want to live in a city of 6 million people. The Country is bigger than europe and just as diverse so consider carefully what you need.

Do you need anyhting special - Education hobby or work wise? could you live in a rural or small town?

What is it that you hope canada can give you?

Please don't answer a safe place to live, give a bit more detail and more people can help you.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Toronto: family orientated areas

Originally Posted by Grah
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH

Hello welcome to the forum DB has given you about the best advice he can with the extremely limited information you supplied.

How would you answer the same question if asked about London?

first thing about thinking about coming to Canada is to understand what you want. Do you want to live in a city of 6 million people. The Country is bigger than europe and just as diverse so consider carefully what you need.

Do you need anyhting special - Education hobby or work wise? could you live in a rural or small town?

What is it that you hope canada can give you?

Please don't answer a safe place to live, give a bit more detail and more people can help you.

Allow me to elaborate. I live in London. England and I don't want to live in a city of 6 million people when (or if) I emigrate to Canada. What I want is to live either near (but not in) a reasonably large city or to live in town, small or large. Rural life does not appeal to me. As I work in the railway industry, work in this field or other electrical engineering jobs is what I desire work wise.

I want Canada to give me a place to live that is not as stressful, less expensive and perhaps less crime (which is not difficult in comparison to London).

Ontario is the place which seems to satisfy most of these criteria, but I am willing to listen to any suggestions.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Allow me to elaborate. I live in London. England and I don't want to live in a city of 6 million people when (or if) I emigrate to Canada. What I want is to live either near (but not in) a reasonably large city or to live in town, small or large. Rural life does not appeal to me. As I work in the railway industry, work in this field or other electrical engineering jobs is what I desire work wise.

I want Canada to give me a place to live that is not as stressful, less expensive and perhaps less crime (which is not difficult in comparison to London).

Ontario is the place which seems to satisfy most of these criteria, but I am willing to listen to any suggestions.
Ontario is bigger than France and Spain combined!

Quinte might suit you, depends how large a "large" town is. There are rail yards in Belleville, and it used to be a railway town. There are also other industrial employers. Its certainly less stresfull and less expensive than many other places I can think of, but then so are many other places in Canada too. Still, might be worth a look.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 8th 2006 at 10:11 pm.
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Ontario is bigger than France and Spain combined!

Quinte might suit you, depends how large a "large" town is. There are rail yards in Belleville, and it used to be a railway town. There are also other industrial employers. Its certainly less stresfull and less expensive than many other places I can think of, but then so are many other places in Canada too. Still, might be worth a look.
Thanks, I will look into that. By large town I mean population in hundreds rather than tens. Schools are also important, as I have two children aged 3 yrs and 1 yr. Housing in a residential area is also what we would like, rather than being in the smoke of the city as we are now. I have relatives in Toronto so this maybe a reason to consider it but still trying to find out about this city.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

We live in Ajax which is to the east of Toronto. I commute downtown, often on the GO train, sometimes drive and other times get a lift.

The area has everything we need as a family, have a look at the website www.townofajax.com. There are excellent sports facilities and the town runs many events throughout the year. The elementary school that my youngest daughter goes to is only 2 years old, the teachers are very enthusiastic and she really enjoys it. My oldest daughter got onto the Performing Arts programme at one of the high schools in Oshawa so has a long commute but she is loving every minute of it. My neighbours seem happy with the other schools in the area, about half of the kids on the street go to the Catholic schools or French immersion.

There is easy access to the 401 but admittedly it is always busy due to the amount of building that has taken place out here over the last 3 years that we have been here. I personally feel that it is less industrial out this way once you get away from the General Motors factory!! The crime rate in our subdivision is very low, our newest neighbour is a police officer on the sex crimes unit and they moved here as it has the lowest number of offenders nearby and very few other problems. I have frequently forgotten to lock the door, and even left the garage door open one night, realised what I had done but couldn't be bothered to get out of bed to close it (I would never have done this in Leeds).

We rented for 6 months and went to open houses in lots of other areas before deciding where we wanted to be. If you have relatives here you may want to be on the same side of the city as them - ours are in Whitby and Cobourg so we are not too far away. Cobourg is actually a very nice place and is rapidly expanding, I would be quite happy to live there if I didn't work downtown!!

Everyone wants different things so you have to visit and make up your own mind. We are very happy in Ajax and will stay in this area until the girls have left school - then probably downsize and move further from the city.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

As a new immigrant to the Toronto area, I thought I would put in my tuppence worth as it were.

Firstly, I don't know if you have visited Toronto much before but it really would be a good idea, if you are serious about making a life here, to come and 'suss out' the various areas. It's one thing to come on holiday, completely different to live here..!

The thing that struck me when I did the above was that EVERYWHERE is family orientated. Ammenities abound in every town/suburb, the schools are generally very good and there are playgrounds galore. So on that front, I really don't think you need worry. What is important however, is that you work out (if you can) where you are likely to be working or be able to find work. Traffic is a big issue around the GTA and your quality of life will be seriously eroded if you end up spending half the day in traffic.

There are lots of suburbs/towns within the GTA that offer a great quality of life without having to endure the big smoke or urban living. Where we are is suburbia, and admittedly, I can hear traffic from my garden, but I also see corn fields on my way to the supermarket! You tend to get chunks of development and then suddenly you're back into the country. It's TOTALLY different from the UK in so many ways, no gradual petering out of towns etc. That, if anything, was the biggest surprise to me when I first started coming here. However, obviously the nearer you get to Toronto, the more that kind of thing disappears.

Some of the smaller towns/places on the map may in fact turn out to be no more than a crossroads, a garage, a few stores and about seven churches (!) and some are quite "hickey" (if you'll excuse the expression!) compared to what you might expect having come from England.

Depending on work, there are so many options you could look at. A lot of people seem to head for other towns in Ontario like London ( ironic for you eh?) or Windsor. Maybe worth a look,. but either way a recce in person is definitely recommended.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Snowqueen
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:19 am
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

[QUOTE=Perry Groves]

Did you play for Arsenal ?????
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:39 am
Just Joined

shan is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Buchan6]

Hi Gary?

Met your wife at the park today. I'll be there again Tuesday after I've dropped off my daughter at school. Does she want to meet me there 9.30ish?

Shan
Old Sep 9th 2006, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow out of what 10 replies Snow queen was the only one that gave the OP a real answer!!

Perry I would agree with everything that Snow queen said. It all very much depends on what kind of budget you are looking at and also if you wanted an apartment or house.

You can rent an apartment or small house in any area for fairly cheap. DB33 did mention some areas to avoid.

I would recommend you try Mid Town (thats anywhere north of Yonge and Bloor) I live at Yonge and St Clair and its a very family orientated area, great schools, lots amenities, parks etc and a lot of English folk.
I love mid town as I'm close enough to downtown that i can be there in 10 minutes but far enough away not to have that constant hustle bustle feel of downtown. I also find midtown to be a lot friendlier I know everyone in my neighbourhood, my postie, my bus driver, the greengrocer etc, yet in downtown everyone is very closed in. its important to feel like you live somewhere friendly and have friendly neighbours when your new to an area and country.

Good luck
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

People say Parkdale but I really would like to know what they mean, which areas it covers?

Is it really just the Jameson area? I guess I live in Parkdale but far away from the Jameson area and where I live is defintely an area not to avoid. Very safe, nothing much happens. I would live in Roncesvalles which is relatively close.

One thing I never realised here when I compare to other place eg. New York is how easy it is to get round with a baby + pushchair. I had a bit of shock last week in New York about how pushchair unfriendly it is. I shouldn't have taken that for granted.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

pinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to beholdpinzo is a splendid one to behold

Have a look around the Flamborough area. My brother and his wife live in an area called Waterdown...a lovely town, great place to bring up kids.

Flamborough is near Burlington/Hamilton area, not too far from Toronto.
Its a great place if you don't want the live in the city but close enough that you can frequently go there to work/visit if you wanted.

Good look whereever you end up!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Buchan6]

No, I did not play for the gunners, but I am a fan.

Thank you all for your advice. It has been very helpful. I am very serious about moving to Canada and I am planning a recce for sometime in the future (when I can afford it).
Old Sep 9th 2006, 9:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by babsi
People say Parkdale but I really would like to know what they mean, which areas it covers?

Is it really just the Jameson area? I guess I live in Parkdale but far away from the Jameson area and where I live is defintely an area not to avoid. Very safe, nothing much happens. I would live in Roncesvalles which is relatively close.

One thing I never realised here when I compare to other place eg. New York is how easy it is to get round with a baby + pushchair. I had a bit of shock last week in New York about how pushchair unfriendly it is. I shouldn't have taken that for granted.
By Parkdale I mean Queen west of Spadina to the hospital, from the lake up a couple of blocks, how many blocks depending on how far west you are. Of course, some of that area is ok but I was trying to give a general impression of areas within Toronto. I guess that the OP didn't really mean Toronto but Ontario in general which is just as well as most of the suggestions are for places that are nowhere near here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.