Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto to Edmonton by railway - anyone done this ?

Toronto to Edmonton by railway - anyone done this ?

Old Aug 20th 2006, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Toronto to Edmonton by railway - anyone done this ?

Hi all

Trying to figure out how we can get to Calgary from the UK after October with our dogs without having to pay cargo for the dogs.

I have noted that a train goes from Toronto to Edmonton fairly regularly and they will allow dogs to travel in the baggage department. The combined costs of flying from Manchester to Toronto and then travelling to Edmonton via rail is almost exactly the same as flying from Manchester to Calgary - so no real issues there

The trip takes just a little over 2 days and I'm sure that some of the scenery we will pass must be worth looking at. Has anyone done this trip (or one like it) ? I appreciate that it is unlikely that you would have taken dogs but I am just wondering whether they are any dos and dont's to watch out for. We have 3 kids (13,6 & 3). It looks like it could be fun/OK but appreciate it could be a nightmare :scared:

Any thoughts ??
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto to Edmonton by railway - anyone done this ?

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
Hi all

Trying to figure out how we can get to Calgary from the UK after October with our dogs without having to pay cargo for the dogs.

I have noted that a train goes from Toronto to Edmonton fairly regularly and they will allow dogs to travel in the baggage department. The combined costs of flying from Manchester to Toronto and then travelling to Edmonton via rail is almost exactly the same as flying from Manchester to Calgary - so no real issues there

The trip takes just a little over 2 days and I'm sure that some of the scenery we will pass must be worth looking at. Has anyone done this trip (or one like it) ? I appreciate that it is unlikely that you would have taken dogs but I am just wondering whether they are any dos and dont's to watch out for. We have 3 kids (13,6 & 3). It looks like it could be fun/OK but appreciate it could be a nightmare :scared:

Any thoughts ??

I didn't know Edmonton had a passenger train other than the LRT, which only services the city.

I will do some investigating......

Linda P
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linda P
I didn't know Edmonton had a passenger train other than the LRT, which only services the city.

I will do some investigating......

Linda P
Linda

I don't know if it services the city but the route we are looking at starts at Toronto and ends at Vancouver taking in a number of stops inbetween, one of which is Edmonton.

At bit like the Orient Express but across Canada !!

Edit: The address of the station is given as 12360-121ST STREET, EDMONTON (Alberta), T5L 5C3 this sounds to me that it would be somewhere near downtown

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Aug 20th 2006 at 4:12 pm. Reason: to include the station's address
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

The trip takes just a little over 2 days and I'm sure that some of the scenery we will pass must be worth looking at. Has anyone done this trip (or one like it) ?

Any thoughts ??
I did the trip by rail from Montreal to Vancouver in 1966. Three days. Alas, the only worthwhile scenery was in Alberta and Briitsh Columbia.

The scenery in Quebec and Ontario was all forest. 100%. How many trees can you admire? Then Manitoba and particularly Sask. was all flatlands. After all this is the prairies. One could see for miles around although I do recall spectacular sunsets.

So if you take the train make sure you bring lots of things to keep the children amused.

Now the train from Alberta to the Pacific, that is indeed very worthwhile, particularly to view the mountains from the dome car.

Please yourself. You were warned.

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 20th 2006 at 4:23 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I did the trip by rail from Montreal to Vancouver in 1966. Three days. Alas, the only worthwhile scenery was in Alberta and Briitsh Columbia.

The scenery in Quebec and Ontario was all forest. 100%. How many trees can you admire? Then Manitoba and particularly Sask. was all flatlands. After all this is the prairies. One could see for miles around although I do recall spectacular sunsets.

So if you take the train make sure you bring lots of things to keep the children amused.

Now the train from Alberta to the Pacific, that is indeed very worthwhile, particularly to view the mountains from the dome car.

Please yourself. You were warned.
This is exactly what I expected to be honest - I appreciated that we would miss the best scenery of the trip !!

Never mind - we'll have to see how it goes - our dogs are 5 kgs more than the maximum weight permitted for an internal flight
Old Aug 20th 2006, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

This is exactly what I expected to be honest - I appreciated that we would miss the best scenery of the trip !!

Never mind - we'll have to see how it goes - our dogs are 5 kgs more than the maximum weight permitted for an internal flight
This isn't like travel by train in Europe. I recall going from Trieste to Paris in 1968. Also from London to Edinburgh in 1992. This doesn't compare. On this 2,000 mile trip you have nothing but space.

Myself, I wouldn't do it again. Rather, I would fly to Calgary and then drive to the Coast. Or go by train. It is unlikely though I will ever go West again. I must have travelled this land at least a dozens times so for me there is no incentive to travel anymore.

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 20th 2006 at 4:39 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This isn't like travel by train in Europe. I recall going from Trieste to Paris in 1968. Also from London to Edinburgh in 1992. This doesn't compare. On this 2,000 mile trip you have nothing but space.
Space on the train or nothing to see outside of it ??

Myself, I wouldn't do it again. Rather, I would fly to Calgary and then drive to the Coast. Or go by train. It is unlikely though I will ever go West again. I must have travelled this land at least a dozens times so for me there is no incentive to travel anymore.
We can't get to Calgary directly by plane without paying through the nose (we may have to do this). We've looked at internal flights, but the weight limit they impose is not enough for our dogs. The option is to drive across country (not an enviable task with 2 rottweilers and 3 kids plus all our luggage) or to pay through the nose to have the dogs go as cargo directly to Calgary ($4000 as opposed to $250 as excess baggage).

We are just looking at various options at the moment - it's driving me mad though
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Space on the train or nothing to see outside of it ??
Both actually, but I was thinking of what is outside. I made my first trip on the train as a young impoverished student. It was then mainly a question of cost so I chose the train. I recall buying a very thick paperback 5 minutes before boarding figuring I might want to read something once in while. I finished the paperback; it was on the life of Rodin, the French sculptor who, at that point, I had never heard of. I really had no great interest in reading it but it was a great timekiller. I left the book in some cheap hotel in Vancouver. I hope someone got some benefit out of it. On my return trip I bought another thick paperback more to my tastes. Funnily enough I can't remember what that one was all about.

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 20th 2006 at 8:20 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

We can't get to Calgary directly by plane without paying through the nose (we may have to do this). We've looked at internal flights, but the weight limit they impose is not enough for our dogs. The option is to drive across country (not an enviable task with 2 rottweilers and 3 kids plus all our luggage) or to pay through the nose to have the dogs go as cargo directly to Calgary ($4000 as opposed to $250 as excess baggage).

We are just looking at various options at the moment - it's driving me mad though
Seems to me it will be the train then. Driving half way across Canada is quite a chore particularly with young kids and two dogs.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:27 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

How about flying into vancouver (may have more choice with airlines than calgary) and often flights to vancouver are cheaper than calgary, and then get the train from vancouver to edmonton (which is the scenic bit!)
Just a thought anyway!
Flossie
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Could you fly to Vancouver (or Seattle) direct and then take the train back to Edmonton?
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
How about flying into vancouver (may have more choice with airlines than calgary) and often flights to vancouver are cheaper than calgary, and then get the train from vancouver to edmonton (which is the scenic bit!)
Just a thought anyway!
Flossie
What a good thought!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:32 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What a good thought!
I thought so toooo!!!!!
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

Shadow_Dancer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Any thoughts ??

We looked at landing in Vancouver and travelling by train to Toronto (it goes via Edmonton). I may have missed a trick as I am doing research on the Internet but the message I got was if you travel "Comfort Class" (ie you sit up all the way), its quite affordable. However we have a young son so we looked at Sleepers and this was more expensive than flying.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like it could be fun/OK but appreciate it could be a nightmare :scared:

Any thoughts ??
Tried this site? http://www.seat61.com/Canada.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.