Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Toronto or Edmonton?

Toronto or Edmonton?

Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto or Edmonton?

Originally Posted by Essex_Man
No just Calgary. Few days for a shows. But I seen lots and lots and I mean lots of winter weather reports to have a very good idea. Plus my partners mother lived in Edmonton. (husband in the military) she used to bitch about the winters there over the years.
I have seen lots of TV reports confirming that the War in Iraq is over and that life there is fantastic. If those actually living there say any different, they must be mad because I know

You are John Prescott aren't you, just admit it
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Why would I lie about being German?
Dammit! I missed that one earlier. Too late for a witty riposte now.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto is often the only Canadian city people in Europe know about in the same way that if you were to mention Canada to the average Brit they'd gasp in delight and say "Niagara Falls!" So it's not surprising that it was the "obvious" vacation destination for a young married couple.

I will say that Toronto is good for young people looking to have fun, experience life, experience different cultures, and build a career.

Edmonton is much more slower, smaller, and off the beaten track kind of city. Go there to settle down and become a homebody. Having recently reached the last year of my twenties, I can vouch that many 20-something's from Edmonton often move away to Vancouver and I suppose to a lesser extent Toronto in search of a more exciting and vibrant city culture. Saying that, I like Edmonton for what it is. It's not a bad place, but I wouldn't move there first without at least visiting. It is drastically a different city than Toronto. Toronto is a much more global, cosmopolitan city whereas Edmonton is not. For a couple aged 22 and 25? Toronto without a doubt.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 25th 2009 at 12:50 am.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 12:55 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Just to answer your questions, Butch Cassidy:

I am 22, my husband is 25.

Apart from the people in Toronto we liked the fact that there were loads of lovely places to go out, even if you were on a tighter budget. The night life was great with loads of different kinds of places to go to and see live gigs, just chill out or dance the night away! We also loved the fact that there were lots of quiet residential areas that made this huge and busy city feel rather "cosy".

Please don't be mistaken everyone - we have been researching about Canada for years now and we think we've got a fair idea of what it's all about! It's not like we just had the idea to come over and didn't look into it at all. Just remember - most or you were/are in the same situation as we are, trying to go to Canada to build a new life there!

And yeah, we'd be gutted if we didn't get the PR, very!! I guess we've just gotta hope for the best and keep our little fingers crossed!!
Originally Posted by Lychee
Toronto is often the only Canadian city people in Europe know about in the same way that if you were to mention Canada to the average Brit they'd gasp in delight and say "Niagara Falls!" So it's not surprising that it was the "obvious" vacation destination for a young married couple.

I will say that Toronto is good for young people looking to have fun, experience life, experience different cultures, and build a career.

Edmonton is much more slower, smaller, and off the beaten track kind of city. Go there to settle down and become a homebody. Having recently reached the last year of my twenties, I can vouch that many 20-something's from Edmonton often move away to Vancouver and I suppose to a lesser extent Toronto in search of a more exciting and vibrant city culture. Saying that, I like Edmonton for what it is. It's not a bad place, but I wouldn't move there first without at least visiting. It is drastically a different city than Toronto. Toronto is a much more global, cosmopolitan city whereas Edmonton is not. For a couple aged 22 and 25? Toronto without a doubt.
First reaction (gut response) was to say yes TO it is, BUT given the fact that getting PR is so important I would look at the new list of occupations and see if you can swing it through there (hey you can now go to iqualit if you want a really happening place) if you dont fit the new list of occupations PNP is now your way in (if it has to be Alberta sorry kids but thats the way it is), go PNP apply for PR asap then up and leave for TO (if you havent fallen if love with us rednecks by then).
Old Apr 25th 2009, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

That's exactly it!
At least one of my husband's previous/current occupations is on the OUP list for Alberta, nothing there for Ontario... So that's why we were thinking of Edmonton. We also like it fairly quiet - we're not people who wanna go out partying every weekend or so (not that you couldn't do that in Edmonton if you wanted to).
We just thought that maybe, as we have loads of supportive helpful friends waiting in Toronto, itching to help us make the move, this might make the whole immigration process easier... This is the reason why I initially started this thread - to see if "having connections" can help with the process or if we should go purely by "the lists" and the info on BUNAC and cic... The latter it is I guess
We had actually started the PR application process over a year ago but then had to stop for personal reasons (I do not wish to elaborate... ). Now we can do it, but don't want to wait for years until we can come over! In order to get PR directly we also need proof of funds - the last time I checked it was over $13k for 2 people! It would take us forever to save that much! I hope this makes sense! Still, I know it's not the safest way to play it by, but in our situation it seems at least worth a try...