Reload this Page >

Toronto - arriving with a pregnant wife ... healthcare issues

Toronto - arriving with a pregnant wife ... healthcare issues

Old Jun 22nd 2004, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

photoads is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto - arriving with a pregnant wife ... healthcare issues

Hi

Ray1968 recently informed me that there is a 3 month delay on getting healthcare in Ontario. Whilst pregnancy is not an illness I want to make sure we are not open to any huge medical bills. Has anyone been in this situation, if so how did you deal with it?

Any recommendations regarding companies to use greatly received. Jo will be 21 weeks pregnant when we intend to arrive.

Regards

Iain
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Found this link that might help

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_d...faq_id=4000329

Ray
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 1:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto - arriving with a pregnant wife ... healthcare issues

Originally posted by photoads
Hi

Ray1968 recently informed me that there is a 3 month delay on getting healthcare in Ontario. Whilst pregnancy is not an illness I want to make sure we are not open to any huge medical bills. Has anyone been in this situation, if so how did you deal with it?

Any recommendations regarding companies to use greatly received. Jo will be 21 weeks pregnant when we intend to arrive.

Regards

Iain
IIRC you are coming on a company transfer, sort of? so will your company medical insurance not cover her as your dependent? When I came over the three month period was covered by a "foreign workers policy" through canada life. If they cannot get coverage because of her "pre existing condition" I would make it clear to your employer that you expect them to pick up any medical bills if they expect you to go before the child is born.

I am of course assuming your company is providing coverage for your 3 month waiting period, as well as the usual benefits after your OHIP coverage starts.

Without coverage bills will rack up alarmingly quickly. Hospital stay itself is about $1000 per night, before additional fees for treatments and tests:scared:

Good luck

Iain
Old Jun 22nd 2004, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Tinpusher is an unknown quantity at this point

I obtained insurance through Trent Health to cover the first 3 months. It was $254 a year ago. Company then reimbursed it.
Don't take the risk of not having insurance.
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 1:49 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

We're in exectly the same situation.

The only plus I can give you is that it's three months from your date of entry, not from when you apply at OHIP.

This is important as you have to supply a 'proof of address' like a bank statement or gas bill which takes a couple of weeks to set up.
Old Jun 29th 2004, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

dave4180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ian,
Unfortunately, no insurance company is going to pay for childbirth costs because as you say it's a medical condition not an illness.

There is a company called called CanadaSure that has a specially designed plan for new migrants & returning citizens.

They insure you for the flight to Canada, from any worldwide location, plus the 90 day waiting and you can add in things like Winter Sports & Manual Occupations.

It also includes cover for complications of pregnancy up to 26 weeks but no routine stuff such as check ups & scans.

The cost of a routine childbirth will be somewhere in the region of $5,000-$7,000

You can find info at www.canadasure.com

Good luck

Dave.