Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Top Eight Reasons Not To Immigrate To Canada

Top Eight Reasons Not To Immigrate To Canada

Old Aug 20th 2005, 2:20 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top Eight Reasons Not To Immigrate To Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33

I guess things haven't gone well for this chap in America. Otherwise he'd have moved on rather than still be fretting about Canada. He seems a bit sad really.
dbd33

Well said, straight to the point

Eddie
Old Aug 20th 2005, 2:22 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheila9
The question is I suppose am I just suffering from a bad case of nostalgia?!
I reckon there's only one way for you to find out.

And welcome to the forum. When you posted in the food thread it escaped my attention that that was your first post here.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 3:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wcitizen
Good point! But are the people who let you come in to Australia the same as those who assess and accept your credentials and give you jobs?
In Canada the government has no problem with international credentials (because they need more immigrants) but the professional bodies (who operate out of government control) have a lot of problem with that. The quality looks as an excuse (at least for the immigrants) and some people see it as a way to restrain competition which ultimately could lead to lower wages for those doctors etc.
In Australia, professional bodies have been an integral part of the immigration process for many years.

In general (there are a few exceptions) it's not possible to migrate as a skilled person without having your skills accepted 'in principle' (ie subject to some minor conversion/upgrading after arrival) by the relevant Australian professional or trade body.

And in Australia, professional regulation is nationally led. Some professions, like accountancy and engineering are controlled entirely at the national level. In others, like nursing, there are state/territory regulatory bodies but they usually try to take their cue from the national body and have consistent policies and mutual recognition for interstate professionals.

There is an entire government office in Australia, that co-ordinates the process and regularly publishes comparative studies of overseas countries education systems versus the Australian standard.
http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...on/Default.htm

This process doesn't apply to every migrant - dependents of skilled migrants, family based migrants (such as spouses), and humanitarian migrants are not expected to show compliance with these standards. They have to take their chances with skill recognition after they arrive.

Many Australian citizens who have been educated overseas also benefit from the overseas skill recognition programs.

There are still some 'gaps' in the Australian processes for recognising overseas skills but in general these seem to be a lot less than those in Canada. It seems to be that while it's 'harder' to get into Australia (on a skilled basis) compared to Canada, the prospects on average for those who do make it through are somewhat better.

Jeremy
Old Aug 20th 2005, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sheila9
I have lived in the UK for the last 30 plus years having originally come only for a 6 month working holiday. It has been very good to me: I have made great strides in my professional life that would not have been a possibility in Canada. London is a fantastic city to live in in terms of transport, culture and multi-culturalism which has made me much more open minded.
HOWEVER, I still miss Canada after all these years and am considering retiring back to Ottawa. I have no family (an elderly aunt in Ottawa if that counts and a couple of Canadian friends) and therefore feel I am foot loose and fancy free....
However, I am a bit stumped by the very complicated processes involved in giving it a try for approximately 5 months which is the maximum time you can return for without being categorised at a resident. Over staying this limit would have significant tax implications. Has anyone out there been in a similar situation to me?
I will have a pension which means that I will only be looking for part/time work (nursing) or volunteering to get me integrated back into Canadian life.
The question is I suppose am I just suffering from a bad case of nostalgia?! I really miss Canada sometimes for the wide open spaces and a slower pace of life.
Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed.
Sheila
Sheila,

Different circumstances but my wife left Canada 15 years ago to do an MBA in Europe and then had a great career in London. We had a great time in London when we first got married, a flat in Notting Hill and weekend trips to European cities etc.

However, she has always felt a pull towards Canada and was often upset when we had to fly back to the UK after vacations.

We'd looked at moving to T.O. in 1994 (as we were both working in banking and finance) but didn't. A very fortuitous decision financially as it turned out.

Life in London got increasingly difficult with two children and two jobs, hiring nannies etc and my wife says that even though she had friends she never really felt connected.

Eventually we did the sums and decided to go for it out west.

My wife is very happy to be "back home" and we live a much more relaxed, happier and easy life. We both work now because we want to not because we have to and our children get to do so much more because of that.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I heard that doctor on talk radio - the one who started this thread presumably. I would guess that there are always more applicants than places for doctors, lawyers, vets, optometrists etc. etc. etc. It seems to me that he was blaming Canada for his failure to get into med school. Seems to me there are lots like him - but they have got on with their lives instead of whining about it on the radio and forums like these.

I worked for lawyers all my life and I have heard stories about people who did not make it into law school. It wasn't because they didn't have good marks - I think maybe they just didn't come across as well in the interview or whatever its called.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

gtrvox1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I'm more interested in what the BOTTOM EIGHT REASONS NOT TO IMMIGRATE TO CANADA would be.

1 Store bought tomatoes that taste like metallic fish.
2 4x4 monster trucks with fold down ladders to get into them.
3 "yeah! totally!" (might be just a west coast thing)
4 Men who wear baseball hats front to back, in the sun.
5 Women who still have big 80s hair.
6 I have to learn the new NHL rules.
7 Missing the last ferry after a day trip to Seattle or Vancouver.
8 Valerie Pringle.
Can't comment on #7 and #6 should not be too steep a learning curve but otherwise spot on! I'd add two of my own: mullet haircuts (related to your #5) and "awsome!!!" (related to your #3). And boy, how right you are about the tomatoes!

GTR
Old Aug 20th 2005, 11:31 pm
jedi in training

buzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of lightbuzz365 is a glorious beacon of light

Im beginning to believe the whole immigrate to Canada isn’t as easy as its being sold by Canada and purely for government profit. For years there have been the same problems about qualifications and `Canadian experience`, and yet nothing has been don’t to solve the problem. Either you give someone the points for being a doctor, dentist and so on or you don’t. If you do then surely you must let them ply there trade or at least make it easier for then to work at the expected Canadian standard. Only a fool would read an application from a doctor or dentist and not imagine that the individual would want to carry on in that profession on arrival in Canada. The post at the beginning of this thread is just giving everyone a heads up as to the worst-case scenario.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

jabber is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sheila and welcome.

As I am currently living in Ottawa I thought I would make myself known to you - if I can help in any way. First I'm not sure what you mean by the complicated process of coming over for 5 months. If you could be a bit more specific. I recognize it is complicated, but which bit in particular?

I am actually considering doing the reverse of you. I am mulling over various areas in the UK - Scotland, Durham, and Cambridge. It is very daunting when you get to really thinking about it, but I am in the unenviable position of not being bilingual and I work on contract, so the contracts are shrinking all the time as more and more jobs want French speakers.

I do understand about your nostalgia for Canada. There are things about this place that I would miss also. But bear in mind that Canada has changed alot in 30 years. We have become more crowded in the cities, more traffic jams, and much more pollution in the cities which now is creeping into the countryside. The summers are getting hotter, where air conditioning is not a luxury anymore. As for Ottawa winters, well, as you know they are rather long, and the freezing rain is more common now throughout the winter, which makes for treacherous travelling. But, as you say, I think yes, the pace of life is still slower than the UK, and especially London. It is cheaper to live, obviously housing cost is much cheaper in Canada. The small towns around Ottawa are becoming more popular to live in and retire like Almonte, Merrickville, and Perth.

Anyway, a few things for you to think about. I hope I haven't put you off by some of the negatives.

Cheers!
Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

wcitizen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ
In Australia, professional bodies have been an integral part of the immigration process for many years.

Jeremy
Thanks Jeremy for the reply. Seems Australia is more though on the qualifications issue, and that might be the reason why they are getting fewer immigrants than Canada (one fifth I guess!)

Anyway, if you ask me the number one reason NOT to immigrate to Canada (which could apply to the US as well!) is crappy TV: they broadcast commercials all the time with short breaks of programming! Even public broadcasters like TVO or CBC have 5 minutes of commercials for every 15 minutes of broadcast time!
Old Aug 21st 2005, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Anyway, if you ask me the number one reason NOT to immigrate to Canada (which could apply to the US as well!) is crappy TV: they broadcast commercials all the time with short breaks of programming! Even public broadcasters like TVO or CBC have 5 minutes of commercials for every 15 minutes of broadcast time!
You are joking aren't you?

Didn't you know about north american TV beforehand?

I agree the TV is crappy (I only watch the footy and BBC World News) but to cite that as NUMBER ONE reason not to immigrate is odd to say the least. There are loads of things in life that are more interesting and useful than sitting in front of the TV.

Since moving here I've read more books, rediscovered BBC radio over the web and do more exercise and sports.

Oh, and we had friends over from the UK and they complained that "there's nothing good on the TV these days, just property make-over and reality television". I don't doubt that they were being harsh but that was their view.

Last edited by CalgaryBlade; Aug 21st 2005 at 12:50 am.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 3:01 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Unfortunately a lot in the original article is true.
Oportunities in Canada are extremely limited,
I cannot find a good job here despite having
applied for several hundred positions. I've even lied and fabricated
entire resumes as an experiment, still nothing.
My case isn't unique either, I've met countless numbers of people
who were flipping burgers and sweeping floors who are better
qualified than me. In fact most of my colleagues at work hold degrees,
MA's and one even has a PhD!

I also agree that Canada is exceptionally overrated. It's supposedly the
best country in the world in which to live and has several of the best
cities in the world. I simply don't see it.
It's boring, has very few job oportunities, the weather is harsh, it's
uncultured and has no history. The best that can be said about it is
mediocre. ...and if you live in Ontario even the scenery isn't up to much.
England has far better scenery than most of Canada.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 3:06 am
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Are you denying that the employment situation in Canada is attrocious?
Why do so many Canadians move to the US to find work?
Everyone here complains about the crappy job prospects.

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I heard that doctor on talk radio - the one who started this thread presumably. I would guess that there are always more applicants than places for doctors, lawyers, vets, optometrists etc. etc. etc. It seems to me that he was blaming Canada for his failure to get into med school. Seems to me there are lots like him - but they have got on with their lives instead of whining about it on the radio and forums like these.

I worked for lawyers all my life and I have heard stories about people who did not make it into law school. It wasn't because they didn't have good marks - I think maybe they just didn't come across as well in the interview or whatever its called.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 3:30 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jeremy for the reply. Seems Australia is more though on the qualifications issue, and that might be the reason why they are getting fewer immigrants than Canada (one fifth I guess!)
Just over 100,000 people migrate to Australia this year (all categories). The total is about half of Canada's, while Canada's population is about 1.5 times that of Australia.

So yes - it does appear overall that Australia is 'tougher' to get into. And it is - skilled migration is much more targeted at specific professions (with skill assessment criteria to meet). And unlike Canada, there's a whole section of the program which gives priority processing and an exemption from the points test for those sponsored by employers.

Jeremy
Old Aug 21st 2005, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Yasmina2005 will become famous soon enoughYasmina2005 will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Re: Top Eight Reasons Not To Immigrate To Canada

Finding a job is not easy in any country..but why does it seem difficult in Canada that has a skilled worker category for immigration.

One would think Canada has a shortage of skilled workers and that they want people to come to make up for this shortage..I guess it is not fair to open doors for immigration while there is no potential job market for people...And please do not tell me no one told you to immigrate to Canada and that one has to do her research before thinking to immigrate..

Bottom line: What is the idea behind having an immigration category for skilled people while Canada knows that the job market does not have potential opportunities. Why accept a certain quota for skilled workers more than the job market can take. I am confused
Old Aug 21st 2005, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

wcitizen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
You are joking aren't you?

Didn't you know about north american TV beforehand?
Ofcourse I was joking! I'm just missing my Pace twin freeview PVR which I had paid GBP350, and sold for half that price, and now have to pay $400 to Rogers to get their PVR and skip over the commercials here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.