Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Too many Brits?

Too many Brits?

Old Apr 3rd 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Too many Brits?

Originally Posted by Paulious

The aim of going is really just to experience living in another culture. I keep hearing of these ex-pat communities of Brits and Aussies that apparently do nothing but bitch about Canada... which seems strange to me considering no one is forcing them to stay there.

?
You don't realize that for many people there is no realistic way back because of their circumstances even though nobody forces them to stay.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 7:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Half and half. Color and thru are usual but there's less use of z in Canada than in the US.

Someone wishing to see real Canada should try a week in Dundalk Ontario. Assuming of course that the person is white and a practising Christian.
Spent a good weekend in Dundalk, Louth last year.

Carry on...
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 10:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HSJones
Though my initial aim was to have mainly Canadian friends it's pretty tough.
If by "Canadian" you mean actual cradles you're not going to be able to do that in Toronto. There are so few of them that it's narrowing the choice more than selecting only Brits would.
Old Apr 3rd 2011, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Paulious is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by edmontron
You don't realize that for many people there is no realistic way back because of their circumstances even though nobody forces them to stay.
Oh, sorry, I must have sounded a bit ignorant. Yes, I didn't consider that circumstances can make it difficult to leave.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 4:01 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

An alternative is to make friends with people you like, regardless of country of origin.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:42 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

In several months I'll go to Canada via BUNAC to work for a year. I'm planning a little scouting trip to get a feel before hand.

The aim of going is really just to experience living in another culture. I keep hearing of these ex-pat communities of Brits and Aussies that apparently do nothing but bitch about Canada... which seems strange to me considering no one is forcing them to stay there.

Perhaps people expect too much perfection and forget that every country has the good, the bad and the ugly.

I'm a bit worried about being surrounded by too many Brits, as I don't want to move to a mini-Britain, I want to go to Canada. I like the idea of Americanization I hear Canadians chirping on about. Originally Toronto was on the cards, but having read more about Canada, I think Vancouver, Montreal, and other places are definitely on the table (the purposes of a scouting visit).

What are your experiences?
I'd head straight to Moose Factory not an aussie or a brit insight! That failing just avoid all the major cities.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
An alternative is to make friends with people you like, regardless of country of origin.
Who'd o' thunk it? My favo(u)rite answer.

I live in Little Britain, apparently.

I hear British accents often - but we only really know two British families here well. They were the ones we liked
Old Apr 4th 2011, 12:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That's my philosophy too.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

When my family and myself relocated here to Ontario 10 years ago, part of the excitement and adventure for me was to meet new (Canadian) friends, I tried really hard to integrate with locals in my new country, we plonked ourselves right in the middle of a sub division with lots of other family's near a school, we got to know lots of neighbours around us but there wasn't much of a connection, as nice as Canadians are and as welcoming they made us feel, something was just a miss, wot I have learnt is Canadians just don't get Brits (or maybe its just me) but i have discussed this with other Brits, they all say the same, when I am around Cdn's I don't seem to laugh or relate to them like I can with a Brit, so consequently all my friends are Brits.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 3:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
When my family and myself relocated here to Ontario 10 years ago, part of the excitement and adventure for me was to meet new (Canadian) friends, I tried really hard to integrate with locals in my new country, we plonked ourselves right in the middle of a sub division with lots of other family's near a school, we got to know lots of neighbours around us but there wasn't much of a connection, as nice as Canadians are and as welcoming they made us feel, something was just a miss, wot I have learnt is Canadians just don't get Brits (or maybe its just me) but i have discussed this with other Brits, they all say the same, when I am around Cdn's I don't seem to laugh or relate to them like I can with a Brit, so consequently all my friends are Brits.
Nothing wrong with that, Brits make good friends. I've made way too many Canadian friends for my liking. I wish they'd keep themselves to themselves and not bother me. Its only going to get worse with their ice hockey championships coming up.
Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:26 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
... wot I have learnt is Canadians just don't get Brits (or maybe its just me)
... maybe it is.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Paulious is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
... maybe it is.
Maybe its maybeline

Yeah I guess I should go to Canada with an open mind of meeting all people. I think the best thing to do is learn to understand Canadian humour, that's bound to make it easier for you to get Canadians and vice versa. That said I've never had any problems with Europe or the Middle East. Been nearly thumped by a Saudi friend for a joke or two about "almighty" allah

http://www.swanparadise.com/Canadian-Jokes.html LOL

Last edited by Paulious; Apr 5th 2011 at 1:18 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:11 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

The aim of going is really just to experience living in another culture.
Not sure how to put this, but you do know Canada really isn't that different? Of course there are differences, but if I wanted an adventure and to live in another culture I think I would look for somewhere a bit more exciting.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:39 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Not sure how to put this, but you do know Canada really isn't that different? Of course there are differences, but if I wanted an adventure and to live in another culture I think I would look for somewhere a bit more exciting.
Yeah.

Highstreet's or Downtown areas in the western world are starting to look eerily the same............

Depending on where you go in Canada you can experience a different life style (possibly) but you're not going to experience much, if any, new culture.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:39 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by lmartin999
By the way when are we next going to grab a jar or two?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.