Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

tomato soup.......

tomato soup.......

Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tomato soup.......

Originally Posted by Bleech
Its near the Minstral Cafe and the laughing Moon.
Bleech might be a bit hungry right now (lunch)... the directions include neighbouring restaurants. *chuckles*
Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

shazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud of

If you're missing your UK foods, you'll like it in there. There's a section with all sorts of stuff in there like Angel Delight, Ready Brek, The much mentioned Bisto and Custard powder. Take your checkbook though, it's not cheap
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Bisto..............
Old Sep 8th 2006, 7:58 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Bleech might be a bit hungry right now (lunch)... the directions include neighbouring restaurants. *chuckles*
I know, sad eh? Usually my directions are via pubs
Just eaten a whole packet of Jelly Belly jelly beans though, so I don't really feel hungry right now, just a bit sick
Old Sep 8th 2006, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

I know, sad eh? Usually my directions are via pubs
Just eaten a whole packet of Jelly Belly jelly beans though, so I don't really feel hungry right now, just a bit sick
Ouch!! ... that would do it mate!

You'd think at this point, if some entrepreneur opened up a British store/corner chop, they would make an absolute killing, especially in central Kelowna or Upper Mission/Kettle Valley!

(Personally, I would like a little News Agents/Chip shop at the end of our street *smiles*)

.. but for now, I am happy with my Heinz Baked Beans & Treacle "steam" pudding!!
Old Sep 8th 2006, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

shazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud ofshazr has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Ouch!! ... that would do it mate!

You'd think at this point, if some entrepreneur opened up a British store/corner chop, they would make an absolute killing, especially in central Kelowna or Upper Mission/Kettle Valley!

(Personally, I would like a little News Agents/Chip shop at the end of our street *smiles*)

.. but for now, I am happy with my Heinz Baked Beans & Treacle "steam" pudding!!

mmmmmmmmmm thats a damn fine idea, i would have an offy selling beer at UK prices.......smokes at Greek prices, proper soup and jaffa cakes!!!!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazr
mmmmmmmmmm thats a damn fine idea, i would have an offy selling beer at UK prices.......smokes at Greek prices, proper soup and jaffa cakes!!!!
Now you're talking!

If I could get to 'say 11pm at night' ... feeling a wee bit peckish, the thought of walking to the end of the road, picking up the aroma of "the chippy" .. with the possibility of a chipsteak/rumpsteak supper, where they also stock a packet of Jaffa Cakes on the shelf, next to the boxes of crisps & jar of pickles, with even some spare time for a chat with the proprietor on local gossip, a TV in the corner with Fitbae highlights, a drunk sitting in the corner thinking he is in the laundrette? ... well, you get the picture!
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:51 am

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SivoxII
Now you're talking!

If I could get to 'say 11pm at night' ... feeling a wee bit peckish, the thought of walking to the end of the road, picking up the aroma of "the chippy" .. with the possibility of a chipsteak/rumpsteak supper, where they also stock a packet of Jaffa Cakes on the shelf, next to the boxes of crisps & jar of pickles, with even some spare time for a chat with the proprietor on local gossip, a TV in the corner with Fitbae highlights, a drunk sitting in the corner thinking he is in the laundrette? ... well, you get the picture!
...and a couple of Chavs fighting outside with a girl shouting "Leave it Darren E aint worth it"
Old Sep 9th 2006, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're missing your UK foods, you'll like it in there. There's a section with all sorts of stuff in there like Angel Delight, Ready Brek, The much mentioned Bisto and Custard powder. Take your checkbook though, it's not cheap

Oh bleech why did you have to go and mention ready brek and Angel delight havent seen that here in Toronto yet

Try these recipes there all from english sites so might be close to the real thing

http://www.crazysquirrel.com/recipes...mato-soup.jspx

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/da...oup_2415.shtml

http://www.port.ac.uk/departments/st...od/tomatosoup/

Last edited by britishvixen21; Sep 9th 2006 at 1:56 am.
Old Sep 9th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

For the original post, Heinz doesn't make 'cream of tomato soup' in North America. It was my favourite soup in the UK and I also work in purchasing for a supermarket in Canada and have frequent requests for it. I've spoken to Heinz in Canada and they just don't make it. Campbells pretty much owns the soup market in North America and Heinz isn't a big soup company here, more of a sauce company.

The closest tasting one I have found yet which I usually buy is made by a company called Pacific Foods out of Oregon in the US. Their organic creamy tomato soup is very close and you can get it in a conventional supermarket as well like Loblaws as well as specialty ones.
Old Sep 10th 2006, 2:17 am

Any luck Shazr?
I went in there today and they've got loads of tins, $3.60 each though If anyone wants me to get them a tin, PM me and I'll send them out.. as long as I don't get 400 PMs that is
Old Sep 10th 2006, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Any luck Shazr?
I went in there today and they've got loads of tins, $3.60 each though If anyone wants me to get them a tin, PM me and I'll send them out.. as long as I don't get 400 PMs that is

OUCH!!!! on $3.60 for a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup. I can tell you "from the horses mouth" ... we picked up 2 tins of Baxters Soups from Save-on-Foods the other day, one which I've had a few times before "Lentil & Bacon" ... and for the first time here in Canada, "Tomato & Basil" ... which is a good substitute for the soup in question in my opinion, as Baxters make quality thick soups.

... Oh! I think it was also on sale for under $1.50?
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:30 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone wants me to get them a tin, PM me and I'll send them out.. as long as I don't get 400 PMs that is
Do they sell flip flops ? Stella ? Kebabs ? HP Beans ?

<PM follows>

Rich.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Any luck Shazr?

So she asked very hesitantly......the tomato soup you are talking about cannot be the same cream of tomato soup that I buy at thrifty foods for 79 cents a can right? Dont yell at me Im just a canadian......
Old Sep 11th 2006, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by willmore
So she asked very hesitantly......the tomato soup you are talking about cannot be the same cream of tomato soup that I buy at thrifty foods for 79 cents a can right? Dont yell at me Im just a canadian......

Here is the soup we are all talking about:

Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Do they sell flip flops ? Stella ? Kebabs ? HP Beans ?

<PM follows>

Rich.
The Sun newspaper, Branston Pickle, Last Night of the Proms DVD (87), Spangals, Raleigh Grifters and photos of Charles and Diana on a plate.

....They really do sell HP Beans though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.