Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tips on telling work you are emigrating?

Tips on telling work you are emigrating?

Old May 17th 2010, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on telling work you are emigrating?

Originally Posted by Souvy
A mate of my brother's was sacked on the spot when he mentioned it to his boss. Not sure what his employment status was.
Originally Posted by JET747
If you tell your employer that you are applying for residency how can they sack you ?

Then again I have been lucky where I have always worked for global oil/chemical firms, I am not too sure what the terms and conditions of a local buisness are, but would find it totally unreasonable on anyone.

JET
Business regularly act unreasonably. What do you think actually exists to stop an employer sacking you?

It's been sometime since I practised Employment Law in the UK but, from memory, until you have been employed by an organisation for at least one year, they can sack you for any reason at all, provided they pay you the appropriate notice. Once the 1 year period is reached, in theory, it is much more difficult for them to do so but, if they did, the only form of redress one would have would be to sue them for unfair dismissal etc. That would require attending an Employment Tribunal.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:25 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JET747
If you tell your employer that you are applying for residency how can they sack you ?

Then again I have been lucky where I have always worked for global oil/chemical firms, I am not too sure what the terms and conditions of a local buisness are, but would find it totally unreasonable on anyone.

JET
For me, it would be difficult for them to sack me - given the Co. policy, but easy for them to rule me out for devpt / interesting work should I in the end want to stay, or at least not be bored in the 12 months+ still to go.

that is why I am being careful, though I get so much crap anyway it would have to be a step change for me to really notice.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a line manager who I trust (and who is also contemplating emigrating but in the other direction, to NZ) so I asked him to write the required letters for me. I have not officially told work, and I don't intend to until we are fully accepted and there are visas in our passports! My work don't particularly like you doing anything that isn't 'the day job', so chances to further develop yourself are slim. If I even hinted I was looking elsewhere I'd never get to do anything. And if it goes wrong for whatever reason and we're not accepted (always consider worst case scenario!) I'd be stuck at my job with colleagues who knew I wanted to leave. And some wouldn't let me forget that...

it is really hard, because there are friends at work I want to be able to tell, but if I do it will be all round the office eventually. So I have 3 trusted colleagues who know, and that's it. My work does offer career breaks, I've yet to decide if I want to do that or not. I have a good job, but I know it's not where I want to be. I suspect I'd rather just leave, and so have more desire to make things work in Canada!
Old May 18th 2010, 5:14 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81

it is really hard, because there are friends at work I want to be able to tell, but if I do it will be all round the office eventually. .....
The worst thing about that is that you get REALLY tired of people who haven't seen you in a while that say "I thought you were going to Canada???!!!" or "Haven't you gone yet????" (DUH!) each time you bump into them!
Old May 18th 2010, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
The worst thing about that is that you get REALLY tired of people who haven't seen you in a while that say "I thought you were going to Canada???!!!" or "Haven't you gone yet????" (DUH!) each time you bump into them!
Yes all the time, especially family !!

JET
Old May 18th 2010, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely! I know at least one person who I would like to tell, but who would then proceed to ask me every week how the application was going and why hadn't I heard yet and oooooh was I worried it was all going to fall through. No thanks!
Old May 18th 2010, 7:07 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

this has been happening to me for yrs, before I even decided to apply - one sister abroad and my colleagues, family, friends can't wait to get rid