Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tips on getting the most out of the forums

Tips on getting the most out of the forums

Old Sep 6th 2007, 2:59 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips on getting the most out of the forums

On your profile
Got to the Biography section add
1. If in Canada - Town, Province
i.e Living Winnipeg Manitoba

2. If not in Canada - province/s going to or interested in.
i.e looking @ Winnipeg, Manitoba or London Ontario

This will enable people to search for people in or going to the same place.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:18 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Get the most out of the British Expats forum
....... and avoid driving other forum members bonkers

by Judy in Calgary

It's exciting to discover a forum that has useful information about a topic that's of interest to you.

You will enhance your experience of the British Expats forum if you keep the following tips in mind:

1. Please post your question or comment on the most appropriate forum.
  • The main Canada forum is the place to ask "Lifestyle" questions -- about topics like housing, employment, cost of living, health care, schooling, climate, etc.
  • The Immigration forum is the place to ask questions about getting into Canada -- temporary work permits, permanent residence visas, study permits, etc.
  • The Meet and Greet forum is a place for you to drop in and introduce yourself when you're new to the forum. The Meet and Greet forum is just a place to say, "Hi." It is not intended as a place to ask questions about Canada.
  • The Maple Leaf is a lounge for jokes, off-topic discussions, issues unrelated to Canada, etc.
  • If you want to find out information about a specific occupation, the Work Abroad by Profession forum has sub-forums about Accountants, Chefs, Electricians, Hairdressing, Information Technology, Nursing, Police and Teaching.
2. The UK's time zone is different from Canada's several time zones. If you ask a question when it's the middle of the night in Canada, it'll take a while for Canadian members of the forum to respond.

3. Please be patient. Sometimes questions are answered in minutes, and sometimes it takes longer.

4. Please ask once. Please don't post the same question on multiple forums.

5. Bureaucracy in Canada often is administered by the provinces (and sometimes by municipalities). Therefore, when it comes to health care, schooling, drivers' licences and many other issues, there is no single Canadian standard. When you ask a question, it is very important to state the province to which you're thinking of moving. If you do not yet know to which province you want to move, then clarify that as well. In that case, the other forum members will know that you're looking for a general answer.

6. It also is important to specify, if you know, which kind of application you're going to use to get into Canada. The logistics of a temporary work permit application are very different from the logistics of a family sponsorship application, for example.

7. People's opinions differ. Canada is a vast country. Few people have travelled across all of it, much less lived in all of its regions. People's opinions are influenced by which part of Canada they live in. Their views also are shaped by their personal experience of Canada, how long they've been in Canada, etc. So always be aware that other forum participants are giving you subjective information. Also be aware that you may have to assemble a mental picture of Canada from a patchwork of information provided by posters in different regions.

8. The members of the British Expats forum can give you some introductory information and point you in the right direction as you embark on more detailed research. But always check with official and original sources of information. The more crucial the issue, the more vital it is to check. You would do well to find reliable sources of information about legal and taxation issues.

9. Whenever possible, please provide background information about yourself. If you ask a question, knowledge of your circumstances can make a huge difference to a forum member who may want to respond to you. In many cases it helps to know what your family situation is, what kind of work you do, etc. Even if you have provided background information about yourself before, repeat relevant background information when you post a new question. For example, repeat the name of the province to which you're going. A poster who may want to answer your question may have forgotten your particular circumstances or he/she may not have seen your previous posts.

10. You can ask the following questions on the forum, but you do so at your peril:
  • What's Canada like? The place has six time zones, for gosh sakes!
  • Should we move there? How should I know?
  • Can you get Marmite? Yes. Sigh.
  • Why isn't there any orange squash? Ask someone who cares. Okay, let me re-phrase that. If you really want to know, read this thread about orange squash at British Expats.
  • Is it true that you only get two weeks' annual leave in Canada? Yes. Many jobs start out with two weeks' annual leave. However, more senior positions begin with three weeks and eventually work their way up to four weeks. Some (but not all) companies shut down between Christmas and New Year, which effectively gives their employees another week to ten days of leave. There also are statutory holidays (similar to bank holidays in the UK). Many British expats report that they find life more relaxing in Canada and hence don't feel the need for as much vacation (holiday) time as they took in the UK.
11. The thing is that these frequently asked questions drive long standing forum members nuts. When you've participated on a forum for quite a while it can reach the point where one more repetition of a question is the straw that breaks the camel's back. Which leads me to the next point .......

12. It really is a good idea to lurk and read previous posts before diving in and asking a question the minute you've discovered the forum. Actually it's a good idea to do that on any forum.

13. It also helps if you use the forum's search feature and read its Wiki articles. You'll find that many of the questions you want to ask have been asked already. If you find out some basic information by exploring the British Expats website a bit, you'll be able to ask more focused questions and to receive more useful answers.

All the best in your quest to find out more information about Canada.
Thanks, Judy, for such well prepared information. I am probably already guilty although a new member, of asking a question to which I could have found the answer in past posts. Sorry about that. I shall do better in future.
Old Sep 19th 2007, 10:33 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grah
On your profile
Got to the Biography section add
1. If in Canada - Town, Province
i.e Living Winnipeg Manitoba

2. If not in Canada - province/s going to or interested in.
i.e looking @ Winnipeg, Manitoba or London Ontario

This will enable people to search for people in or going to the same place.
Should have added the information the information that search =
Member List
So peeps update your profile and help people help you.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:05 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Tip for Canadians as I've noticed it a few times, if you want a £ symbol on a Canadian keyboard, hold ALT and type "0163"

For a Euro € the code is ALT and "0128"
Old Nov 9th 2007, 3:28 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

On my Canadian Macbook £ is Option (Alt) + 3
The € is Shift+Option + 2
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Bonsai will become famous soon enough

Dear Judy,

I have been using the forum for a couple of months now and find it a really useful and friendly environment. The only problem I seem to have is that I cannot seem to add a timeline as a footnote to my messages.

I have gone in to edit profile / edit options etc but to no avail.

Any advice you could provide would be very much appreciated - I am sure that I am missing something really rudimentary.....

Regards,

Peter
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Go to "My Profile" which is in the second line under the BritishExpats logo in the top left hand corner. Then look at the "Control Panel" headings on the left hand bar. From "Settings and Options" (third heading down) choose "Edit signature" and that should be you
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dear Judy,

Many thanks - I have just tried it....hopefully it will now be there.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Judy,

It works - great!

Many thanks,

Peter
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonsai
Judy,

It works - great!

Many thanks,

Peter
Not Judy, but you're welcome all the same
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks..... Biiiiiiink!
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:28 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Much of the information in this thread now has been incorporated into the Wiki article entitled Tips on using the forum.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

really good tips,very useful