Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Tip for travelling to the UK with two passports.

Tip for travelling to the UK with two passports.

Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip for travelling to the UK with two passports.

Originally Posted by clynnog
How is a 'Guensey
passport different from a passport issued anywhere else in the UK.
The Crown Dependencies - Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man - issue their own form of British passport.

It looks exactly the same as any other British passport except that instead of saying "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" it says "British Islands" followed by either "Bailiwick of Guernsey", "Bailiwick of Jersey" or "Isle of Man". The following shows a Guernsey passport:
http://www.gov.gg/ccm/navigation/hom...on/passports2/

Nationality status in one of these passports is still "British citizen"

Any British citizen resident in one of the Dependencies (whether they have local belonger status or not) who applies to the Island passport authorities will get one of these passports. British citizens elsewhere may apply for an Island passport if they have connections with that Dependency (birth etc).

I have a friend born in NI and he told me that the numbering scheme on his passport identified it as an NI issued UK passport. It caused us no end of problems crossing from Belgium to France in the late 80's (when they had douane there)
In the past, the individual passport office (Belfast, Newport, Peterborough, Glasgow, London etc) was shown as part of the passport ID page. However the Belfast passport office on occasions dealt with applicants from other parts of the U.K. too.
Old Nov 2nd 2007, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JAJ
The Crown Dependencies - Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man - issue their own form of British passport.

It looks exactly the same as any other British passport except that instead of saying "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" it says "British Islands" followed by either "Bailiwick of Guernsey", "Bailiwick of Jersey" or "Isle of Man". The following shows a Guernsey passport:
Something new I learned today...thanks for the information.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:37 pm
we aint goin' back,no way

loose moose will become famous soon enoughloose moose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ

Nationality status in one of these passports is still "British citizen"

Any British citizen resident in one of the Dependencies (whether they have local belonger status or not) who applies to the Island passport authorities will get one of these passports. British citizens elsewhere may apply for an Island passport if they have connections with that Dependency (birth etc).

In the past, the individual passport office (Belfast, Newport, Peterborough, Glasgow, London etc) was shown as part of the passport ID page. However the Belfast passport office on occasions dealt with applicants from other parts of the U.K. too.
exactly right chief, they are the same bar the wording on the cover.

(I'm from the wind swept rock in the middle of the irish sea aka Isle of Man!)
Old Nov 7th 2007, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Cyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond reputeCyan has a reputation beyond repute

I recently made a trip to the UK.

I used the British passport to enter and leave at Heathrow, and my Canadian one when arriving at Toronto. No problems.

My question is, though, what are Immigration Control Section doing when they swipe the passport barcode through their machine reader ? Does that record entry and leaving dates ?