Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Timer for car plug-in

Timer for car plug-in

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:21 am
Cowtown

Default Re: Timer for car plug-in

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Thanks for that. I reckon I can run to 15 dollars So just a couple of hours before you want to start? I'm not sure I understand why it goes off at 9 if you leave at 8?
Thats why he drives off with it still plugged in!

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadiana
Ottawa has the reputation of being the coldest CAPITOL CITY in the world (really it's true).
Isn't Ulan Bator in Mongolia a little colder

If you included non-sovereign countries, then Nuuk (formerly called Godthaab) in Greenland (a territory of Denmark) is probably colder, especially when you look at year-round temperatures.

Jeremy
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:15 am
Just Joined

guitarslinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What sort of cycle do you set a timer for a plug-in on? It's not that cold here yet, just wondering...!

Thanks in anticipation
A car block heater needs only three hours to heat your coolant up enough for cold weather starting, in extreem cold weather you could turn it on for longer.
I f you use a timer maker it handles the amps, there are timers designed for block heaters.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:21 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Aaaah very true.

There does seem to be some confusion about wind chill, not just here but in general.

A temperature of -20C with a wind chill of -35C is still only -20C.

The temperature cannot go any lower than what it actually is just because the wind is blowing.

What the wind chill really means is that an object will cool off at the same rate as if the temperature was -35C (in this case) in still air. But even though it will cool faster it will not (can not) go any colder than the actual air temerature.

There you go, clear as mud.

Cheers
Steve
"A temperature of -20C with a wind chill of -35C is still only -20C."

Then why does the temperature on a thermometer drop when you put it in front of a fan heater? the fan is only sucking in the air from the room but it comes out cooler
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 11:04 am
Just Joined

guitarslinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by guitarslinger
A car block heater needs only three hours to heat your coolant up enough for cold weather starting, in extreem cold weather you could turn it on for longer.
I f you use a timer maker it handles the amps, there are timers designed for block heaters.

Ok, re car starting and block heaters.

First make sure your car has a good battery, a worn battery can lose up to 50% of cranking power when its -20 c out. If your not sure about it get it tested. if you replace it buy the biggest cold cranking amp battery you buy for your car. Next change the oil on your car, you can go two ways with this you can put normal 5w30 although some new cars today call for 5w20 or you can use synthetics 5w30 the difference being is that synth oil does not thicken up like fossil oil.

also make sure that car has had a recent tune up.

Block heaters, a lot of cars now come from the factory with them fitted as standard, if not its usually not to much of a job to have one installed.

Most cars will start without being plugged in up to around -18 c after that you should plug in. It not only provides easier starts but is also easier on you engine components, also you get heat much more quickly. nice on a -25 c morning. Plug in for at least 3 hours if it s -35 try 4 hours. if you have to park all day where you work you could start it up at lunch time in xtreem cold weather just to warm it a little. if there is no plug in available at your work.
One draw back of letting a car warm up for to long its hard on the converters in your exhaust system.

Hope that helps you out.
By the way don't worry about wind chill just remember that when they say its -30c with a wind chill down to -45c Its COLD.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Canadiana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Isn't Ulan Bator in Mongolia a little colder

If you included non-sovereign countries, then Nuuk (formerly called Godthaab) in Greenland (a territory of Denmark) is probably colder, especially when you look at year-round temperatures.

Jeremy

Didn't say it (Ottawa) definately was the coldest, I said it has the "reputation of". As for the other places, maybe your right, I do not know and really have no interest. Funny how a simple comment can promote such detailed "search for the truth" response!!!
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn't say it (Ottawa) definately was the coldest, I said it has the "reputation of". As for the other places, maybe your right, I do not know and really have no interest. Funny how a simple comment can promote such detailed "search for the truth" response!!!
Can't speak for JAJ but I just had nothing better to do with my time and had the information at hand.

No offence meant.

Cheers
Steve
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:48 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

I was interested in and amused by that response. I resolved to keep Ulan Bator in mind for mention next time I hear about having dragged people to this "godforsaken wilderness".
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 3:54 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd
I was interested in and amused by that response. I resolved to keep Ulan Bator in mind for mention next time I hear about having dragged people to this "godforsaken wilderness".
Ulan Bator: twinned with St. Hubert. The ugliest place on the face of the earth. Worse, even, than Ham***on.

And I'm going there for the weekend. <sobs>
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:03 pm

But you are describing wind chill perfectly with both of your analogies.

It IS only -20 but it feels a h*ll of a lot colder.

The point is if the temp was -10 you more than likely wouldn't plug your car in.
But if it was -10 with a -25 wind chill would you plug it in? The answer should be no because it is still only -10.
All you ever wanted to know about wind chill from Environment Canada and NOAA's National Weather Service the U.S. weather service.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Can't speak for JAJ but I just had nothing better to do with my time and had the information at hand.

No offence meant.

Cheers
Steve

No offence taken Steve, to each his own.
Pretty cold in Calgary today isn't it? We lived in Calgary for 8 years. left in 1994. Great city, we enjoyed our time there. Did not want to retire there though, I wanted to get away from the hustle and bustle after a lifetime in major cities accross Canada.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:55 pm
Cowtown

Pretty cold in Calgary today isn't it?
It is +8 degrees C (and rising) in my garden today. So, no, its not cold in Calgary today.

Old Nov 3rd 2005, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Cowtown
It is +8 degrees C (and rising) in my garden today. So, no, its not cold in Calgary today.
That does it.

I'm moving to the south part of the city.

It's only 3C at my house and at the airport.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Cowtown

According to the weather website it was -4 when I checked this morning?? hence my comment.

I guess one has to be there to get an accurate read.

Confusing eh?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

iownavw99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Timer for car plug-in

I'm trying to find the instructions for the noma timer I have cause I lost them. Sounds like the one you are using can you help me out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.