Time to Panic

Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Lorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant future
Default Time to Panic

Hi Guys, just a quick update, we got our visas in Dec and we have now booked our one way tickets to Calgary on 17 April 2010 Now we have all the running around to do, sort the dog, find accommodation, we have decided to rent around the Calgary area for about 1 year so we can sort ourselves out. Does anyone know which is the best medical insurance firm that will insure us for the first 3 months as I believe we cannot get healthcare straight away. Any other tips would be greatfully received !!!!! Does anyone know what Airdrie is like?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time to Panic

Originally Posted by Lorrden
Hi Guys, just a quick update, we got our visas in Dec and we have now booked our one way tickets to Calgary on 17 April 2010 Now we have all the running around to do, sort the dog, find accommodation, we have decided to rent around the Calgary area for about 1 year so we can sort ourselves out. Does anyone know which is the best medical insurance firm that will insure us for the first 3 months as I believe we cannot get healthcare straight away. Any other tips would be greatfully received !!!!! Does anyone know what Airdrie is like?

You will be covered with Alberta Health from the minute you register with them, you can do this on the first day if you wish, so no need to obtain health insurance unless, of course, it is for the items that are not covered by Alberta Health.

I have no idea about Airdrie having never been there.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Lorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant futureLorrden has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You will be covered with Alberta Health from the minute you register with them, you can do this on the first day if you wish, so no need to obtain health insurance unless, of course, it is for the items that are not covered by Alberta Health.

I have no idea about Airdrie having never been there.
Hi, thanks for that info, I have just downloaded the forms for Alberta Health and will fill them in and send them off when we land. Can you tell me if you have to sit a driving test in Alberta, or do you just exchange your uk licence for a canadaian one? There is so much to do, not sure I will be able to do it!!!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud ofMadwife has much to be proud of

Excellent there is someone else in headless chicken mode too!!! I am no where near as far as you so I feel for you. x x x

Hope it all goes well. Loving the Dog btw.
Sarah x
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Madwife
Excellent there is someone else in headless chicken mode too!!! I am no where near as far as you so I feel for you. x x x

Hope it all goes well. Loving the Dog btw.
Sarah x
Glad I am not the only one who is headless!!!! Glad you love the dog, she is the one we are sorting out at the moment, her air fare is more than our family of 4's!
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

juneaa is an unknown quantity at this point

The driving license you can go to one of many registry offices in alberta and just swap your full uk one (you need both parts the paper and the card) for an alberta one. They take your uk one off you and send it back to DVLA in the uk. You alberta one arrives in the post 2 weeks later and until then they give you a temporary one. Hope it all goes well exciting times
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Just a heads up on insurance, holiday insurance worldwide with insure and go cover you for 90 days, incase anyone needs it.

Good luck
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisychain
Just a heads up on insurance, holiday insurance worldwide with insure and go cover you for 90 days, incase anyone needs it.

Good luck
It is worth reading the small print of the policy. Holiday insurance generally does not cover emigrants/immigrants.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by daisychain

Good luck
Hi, thanks for the info on Insurance, I have found out that we are covered almost immediately in Alberta which means our normal holiday insurance that we have will cover us until Alberta Health comes through.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by juneaa
The driving license you can go to one of many registry offices in alberta and just swap your full uk one (you need both parts the paper and the card) for an alberta one. They take your uk one off you and send it back to DVLA in the uk. You alberta one arrives in the post 2 weeks later and until then they give you a temporary one. Hope it all goes well exciting times
Thanks for the uselful info, did not realise we had to take both paper and photo license.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Hi, thanks for that info, I have just downloaded the forms for Alberta Health and will fill them in and send them off when we land. Can you tell me if you have to sit a driving test in Alberta, or do you just exchange your uk licence for a canadaian one? There is so much to do, not sure I will be able to do it!!!
Hi Lorrden,

If you exchange your UK licence at one of these registries you can get your Alberta Health number at the same time. It will save you having to send off the paperwork and you will get your health numbers immediately http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/reg..._Locations.pdf

Sam
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:55 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Airdrie in Alberta has as much charm and appeal as Airdrie in Scotland.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks
Hi Lorrden,

If you exchange your UK licence at one of these registries you can get your Alberta Health number at the same time. It will save you having to send off the paperwork and you will get your health numbers immediately http://www.servicealberta.ca/pdf/reg..._Locations.pdf

Sam
Thanks Sam, thats great info
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Airdrie in Alberta has as much charm and appeal as Airdrie in Scotland.
OK, I live in Edinburgh, but to my shame have never been to Airdrie in Scotland!!! so is it good or bad?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Thanks Sam, thats great info
No problem, if you need help with anything else please give me a shout

Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.