Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Time for a change, NS or VI

Time for a change, NS or VI

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:06 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for a change, NS or VI

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
When have you lived through such temperatures? Certainly not in the last 5 years
-27 when I was there just before Xmas - a dry cold though

Originally Posted by luvmeboys
Please be aware that its not a "wee bit of drizzle" this year has been almost 10 months of rain with grey sky's, it's mind numbingly depressing in MY opinion.
Maybe at your corner of the Island, but in Victoria it's been quite nice and we just had two solid months of sun. And it's sunny out my window now.

Thanks to the rain shadow effect of the nearby Olympic Mountains, Victoria is the driest location on the British Columbia coast. Total annual precipitation is just 608 mm (23.9 in) at the Gonzales weather station in Victoria, compared with 3,671 mm (144.5 in) at Port Renfrew, just 80 km (50 mi) away on the southwest coast of Vancouver Island. Victoria also gets significantly less precipitation than nearby Vancouver, with 1,589 mm (63 in), or Seattle, with 970 mm (38.2 in). Even the Victoria Airport, 25 km (16 mi) north of the city, receives about 45 per cent more precipitation than the city proper.
Thumbs up for the Island for me.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13

Maybe at your corner of the Island, but in Victoria it's been quite nice and we just had two solid months of sun. And it's sunny out my window now.
Now, yes. This morning, not so much.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:25 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Now, yes. This morning, not so much.
That was just "dust control"
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

-27 when I was there just before Xmas - a dry cold though
I'm not disputing it gets down to such temperatures (and lower), it's the "weeks at a time" that I dispute.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I'm not disputing it gets down to such temperatures (and lower), it's the "weeks at a time" that I dispute.
Okay, we are all getting a bit hung up on the weather, I guess that's part of being from the UK!

Weeks at a time may have been a bit of an exaggeration, but I have worked outside all year in Calgary for 5 winters now, so I am very aware of the temperature in winter.

I can gauge how bad the winter is by how much time I lose working, and 08, my first winter, we had a couple of weeks where it was below -30. 09 wasn't that cold, 2010 it didn't snow until the very end of November, but was brutally cold in Jan to March 11, as I hardly worked a full week in those months.The thermometer on our site was recording -30 to -38, when it was officially only -22!
Last winter wasn't as freezing, although very long, we had the week at Christmas that it wasn't above -25 and again at the end of Jan, ( when I was moving house!) When the weather forecast says its, say, -18, very often, depending on where you are, wind etc, it can be much, much colder.

The weather is what it is, we just have to dress accordingly.

So, how about some feedback of cost of living, rental and house prices, gas, food prices, what to do on your day off, driving, job market, especially construction.
Any one in the trades got any insight?
Thanks for everyone that has commented, it's just the point of my post got a little lost.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 2:40 pm
Up Your Kilt

Originally Posted by the undutchables
So, how about some feedback of cost of living, rental and house prices, gas, food prices, what to do on your day off, driving, job market, especially construction.
Any one in the trades got any insight?
Thanks for everyone that has commented, it's just the point of my post got a little lost.
Well, I lived in Victoria as a family of four then moved to the Okanagan and am now back on the Island on my own (kids at Uni), next stop may be back to Scotland when they get their feet under them, but that’s another story. When I moved to the Okanagan I figured it would be cheaper and it wasn’t. A couple of things to think about – on the Island you don’t need winter clothes (maybe if you go away skiing), winter tires for your car, your heating (and cooling) bill is a lot less, I spend a lot less time driving – just to name a few. To hit your specific points:

Cost of living – That’s relative to location and lifestyle obviously, but for me, single or as a family, it is/was cheaper in Victoria than in the Okanagan.

Rental – Same. There’s always a place cheaper and a place more lavish. Lots of variables in that one.

House prices – Depends what your comparing; location, square footage, etc. Victoria ain’t cheap. I’d check out MLS for comparisons.

Your day off – There’s tons to do (just like most places). Depends on what you want to do on your days off. This was one of my big reasons to move back to the Island and in my opinion, one of the main reasons why you should move to wherever you end up. It’s what you do with your free time that really matters.

Driving – Not a big deal in Victoria if you compare it to Vancouver, Calgary or other big cities. The one big complaint is that you’re on an Island – not a big deal to me as it deters the Vancouverites from coming over.

Construction – I’m in engineering and we are always busy, so I’d say civil construction is steady, not screaming busy but steady. As everywhere else, house construction isn’t screaming busy either but it’s not dead, again, I’d say it’s steady. And you can work all year round.

My 2 cents
Old Sep 4th 2013, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

The one big complaint is that you’re on an Island – not a big deal to me as it deters the Vancouverites from coming over.
Oh, the irony of British expats complaining about living on an island!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia has lots going for it...Obviously depends where you decide to live...

Here in Yarmouth housing is very cheap and there are some serious bargains to be had... HST is 15% and I know things such as milk prices which I believe are government controlled are high, yesterday I paid $7.21 for 4 liters!

There are up and coming things in NS. The ship building for one in Halifax.
Halifax, though, despite being a provincial capital is still a small town by UK standards. Comparable to Brighton if you know it...

The ferry is coming back to Yarmouth in May... things will pick up then and you would probably find work... it's all about networking too, where do you have the most contacts?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Halifax, though, despite being a provincial capital is still a small town by UK standards. Comparable to Brighton if you know it...
I found Vancouver Island, at least as far up as Nanaimo, to be surprisingly densely populated. I expected it to be something like Cape Breton but it's actually more like Connecticut. If you want space and wilderness then I think NS would be better but, by the same token, if you want infrastructure then VI seems to have lots of schools and hospitals and whatnot.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:43 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Nova Scotia has lots going for it...Obviously depends where you decide to live...

Here in Yarmouth housing is very cheap and there are some serious bargains to be had... HST is 15% and I know things such as milk prices which I believe are government controlled are high, yesterday I paid $7.21 for 4 liters!

The ferry is coming back to Yarmouth in May... things will pick up then and you would probably find work... it's all about networking too, where do you have the most contacts?
Is this the same Brighton that ranked No. 12 among the largest UK urban areas in 2011, ahead of such places as Cardiff, Stoke, Teesside and Coventry? That sleepy little Brighton?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I found Vancouver Island, at least as far up as Nanaimo, to be surprisingly densely populated. I expected it to be something like Cape Breton but it's actually more like Connecticut. If you want space and wilderness then I think NS would be better but, by the same token, if you want infrastructure then VI seems to have lots of schools and hospitals and whatnot.
The Victoria-Nanaimo corridor is probably the most populated part of Vancouver Island. Once you head north of Nanaimo, the population is sparse, especially north of Campbell River. If space and wilderness is what you're seeking, northern Vancouver Island, or even the western coast (Tofino) would be better suited.

Population density map: http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recen...s/m1bc-eng.htm
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Neither is ideally placed for visiting Europe but NS is a shorter flight, it may involve hubbing through the US so as to avoid dealing with AC but so does getting to Victoria.
I thought you had to go through Montréal or Toronto, never get why people want to live in NS to be "closer" to Europe. Toronto is on eastern time and clearly there are more flights, even if there is one from NS. Can't see the point of moving to NS to be +1 hour from Ontario.

I couldn''t live on VI, in fact I don't think I could last a week (this is day 5), driving is too difficult,
Not a big fan of Hwy 17. Especially on the way into the centre of town.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_
I thought you had to go through Montréal or Toronto, never get why people want to live in NS to be "closer" to Europe. Toronto is on eastern time and clearly there are more flights, even if there is one from NS. Can't see the point of moving to NS to be +1 hour from Ontario.
The thread is about VI vs. NS. If Ontario is an option then, yes, that's better for getting to Europe but it's neither of the options.

Originally Posted by Steve_
Not a big fan of Hwy 17. Especially on the way into the centre of town.
Most of the roads were ill suited to overtaking and driven by people in no hurry. The cars were better there, we passed an Austin-Healey 100, a couple of 3000s, an MGC, numerous Bs, a TR4, a TR4A, countless Miatas, a Minor convertible, several Cobra replicas, a D Type replica and what seemed to be a special inspired by an AC, all of them driven by people with grey hair and seemingly all the time in the world. Here the cars are nearly all grey or beige and are of indistinguishable design, Kia, Hyundai, BMW, who knows, but at least they're going at 70mph, faster on the highway.

Toyland, innit?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 5:40 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Is this the same Brighton that ranked No. 12 among the largest UK urban areas in 2011, ahead of such places as Cardiff, Stoke, Teesside and Coventry? That sleepy little Brighton?
I would say that Halifax is more comparable to Hove actually.
Its way smaller than Brighton
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

HST is 15% and I know things such as milk prices which I believe are government controlled are high, yesterday I paid $7.21 for 4 liters! ?
That is expensive for milk! Here in Calgary it is $3.37 and 32 cents for a recycle fee for 4 litres.
Are groceries on a whole more expensive? I know we only pay 5% GST but I have been told things here tend to be higher priced which evens things up.

I have lived in several european countries, and while I have, on par, higher earnings here, I find my outgoings a month are also higher. The main reason for looking to move is so we can purchase a house, we have been renting since leaving the UK, but here in Calgary, what we want to own, and what we would be able to afford are very different.

My thoughts are, by moving we would be able to buy sooner, even though we are having to start my business over again. Also, there is a lot of competition in construction in Calgary, so cheaper houses could give me the opportunity to buy and renovate property that I can sell for myself.
In Calgary, people spend $300,000 for a house that needs knocked down so they can get land to build on. And the bank won't give you a mortgage to do that!

While Calgary is a great city, I am working longer and harder here to try to get ahead. All I do is work, so to be able to spend my days off walking on the beach would be heaven. Hence the choice of Nova Scotia or Vancouver island

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.