Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

Old Feb 27th 2015, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on moving from NS to BC

that's what my daughter told me on Sunday ............. after helping her husband shift ice and snow :-)

I KNOW December was nice ............ we were there :-)

January has been the pits, as in the rest of the Maritimes ............. although Halifax region has had much less snow than most regions.
Old Mar 1st 2015, 10:11 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
that's what my daughter told me on Sunday ............. after helping her husband shift ice and snow :-)

I KNOW December was nice ............ we were there :-)

January has been the pits, as in the rest of the Maritimes ............. although Halifax region has had much less snow than most regions.
another 15/20 cm if snow due tomorrow and its still naffing freezing. naffing asehole of canada as someone pointed out to me one time
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossie
Shard, you should come and vacation here and go on some wine tours. I think it would change your view.
The wine tours are ok, nothing to shout about. I had a better experience doing wine tours in Stellenbosch, South Africa
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 12:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So, the OP likes living by the sea and likes having access to a city, she has limited funds and doesn't like winter. What's under consideration is moving inland to an area far from urban amenities where it's warmer but very expensive to live. Making oneself poor never seems like a good option to me. It seems to me that the OP could achieve warmer without having to sacrifice access to a city and still live by the sea by moving to Northern Ireland or, indeed, Norfolk.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

shez1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We too are considering bc, round chillawack area. We are from uk, and lived just outside halifax. We are just starting to look at housing, living costs etc in BC. I am an RN too so interested in your thread
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

galaxyandminstrels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
So, the OP likes living by the sea and likes having access to a city, she has limited funds and doesn't like winter. What's under consideration is moving inland to an area far from urban amenities where it's warmer but very expensive to live. Making oneself poor never seems like a good option to me. It seems to me that the OP could achieve warmer without having to sacrifice access to a city and still live by the sea by moving to Northern Ireland or, indeed, Norfolk.
We would never move back to the UK!! Besides I have lived in Norfolk and could not wait to get out!!

As stated before we would not move without securing jobs first. We could afford a home in BC, just not comparable to the space etc that we have here.

Vancouver Island would offer the potential of coastal living and living around Kelowna/ Kamloops may work if we find the lakes and mountains give us a sense of space.

We don't need to be near a huge city, a town where we can access a small mall like the one in Dartmouth, where we can access a cinema etc would be fine.

We have a trip planned so we can check the areas out, it is not something we would do without careful research first.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Jossie I did pm you the other day.....not sure if my pms are getting through to people.
Old Mar 2nd 2015, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by shez1
We too are considering bc, round chillawack area. We are from uk, and lived just outside halifax. We are just starting to look at housing, living costs etc in BC. I am an RN too so interested in your thread
Do you live in the Halifax area now?

It would be good to hear your thoughts on NS and why you are looking at BC.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:22 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galaxyandminstrels

It would be good to hear your thoughts on NS and why you are looking at BC.
I'd imagine that they're the same as yours.

NS is cheap to live in but the climate is shit.

BC is OK for climate but the cost of living is shit.

Both statements are true and untrue at the same time. i.e. are unhelpful clichés.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

BC is very expensive, high taxes, low number of jobs, but the weather is much nicer (depends on where in BC too of course and your occupation so variability factor to be self-calculated)
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

to me, Nova Scotia is nice from June to November. The rest of the year sucks.
That's why we spent the last months in Madeira, Algarve and Southern Spain... I am already dreading flying back to Canada next week.
So my ideal life in Canada looks like that: spend 183 days during the summer/fall in NS and leave for the winter , If it's good for the birds , it's good for me
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:33 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Love the weather in Nova Scotia from June to November too - summer is great, fall is great... I am already planning my Florida snowbird lifestyle so that I can live here each year from May to New Years day and then spent the other months in the Keys -
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Boneyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Woodworm, how is life in Spain? We are going there soon to have a look around and hopefully retire there. What has the weather been like? Also, are you renting or do you own a property there?
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Boneyboy, there is a Spanish Forum on BE, and it would be better to ask those people who live there, as we were just travelling and checking out places for the winter, so I am not an expert in this field. Weather was much warmer than Nova Scotia but not warm enough to swim in the ocean (for me)
The only day we saw ice during the last 9 weeks was in Madeira on top of a 1600m mountain in the morning at 9 am.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by galaxyandminstrels
Jossie I did pm you the other day.....not sure if my pms are getting through to people.
It came through no probs. I sent you a reply yesterday so hopefully you got it now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.