Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thought I would sleep, but oh no

Thought I would sleep, but oh no

Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

bear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nicebear-diesel is just really nice
Default Thought I would sleep, but oh no

The shippers have been over the last 2 days. I must say they were brill and even took stuff that hadn't been quoted for. We used Fox and so far this end I would recommend them.
I then went racing down to the bank, but not our branch to order money as I had forget this
They wouldn.t recognise my signature. The one on screen that they compared with must be over 10 years old. I explained that the pen on the counter hardly had a nib and you had to hold it bolt upright for it to write, not the usual way to hold a pen
I was told that this is because if they put out nice pens that write then they get nicked
This is all taking place at gone 4;30 when the bank shuts and they still haven't ordered me money
At least I thought I would sleep as there is nothing left to pack.
But then the other thousand trillion things to do started whirring around my skull at 04.00.
The OH, who is stll working, wakes when his alarm goes off and calls me saddo. Saddo I'll bloody kill him
Maybe I'll sleep on the plane

Rant over
jo
Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thought I would sleep, but oh no

Originally Posted by bear-diesel
The shippers have been over the last 2 days. I must say they were brill and even took stuff that hadn't been quoted for. We used Fox and so far this end I would recommend them.
I then went racing down to the bank, but not our branch to order money as I had forget this
They wouldn.t recognise my signature. The one on screen that they compared with must be over 10 years old. I explained that the pen on the counter hardly had a nib and you had to hold it bolt upright for it to write, not the usual way to hold a pen
I was told that this is because if they put out nice pens that write then they get nicked
This is all taking place at gone 4;30 when the bank shuts and they still haven't ordered me money
But then the other thousand trillion things to do started whirring around my skull at 04.00.
The OH, who is stll working, wakes when his alarm goes off and calls me saddo. Saddo I'll bloody kill him

Rant over
jo
Hi Jo

When I went out to see phil got up Thursday morning normal for school did all my packing, had a few beers at about 7pm to calm me downwhen the alarm went off at 5am Friday morning to get the kids up to go to the Airport I was STILL awake - couldnt sleep on plane.

Ended up having an hour in the car on the way up to Edmonton lasted till about 11pm then just literally collapsed

Gaynor
x
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Rant over
jo
LOL - Sorry - sounds just like my sort of day. Glad i'm not alone. OH always says women think and worry too much. Whereas he can totally switch off when he wants to.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alison33
LOL - Sorry - sounds just like my sort of day. Glad i'm not alone. OH always says women think and worry too much. Whereas he can totally switch off when he wants to.
It is very definitely a man-thing. I lie awake for hours worrying and pondering about things, while OH is snoring within less than thirty seconds of his head hitting the pillow. He says it is because men have "no conscience" (personally I would attribute it to having substantially less brain cells never mind a conscience)
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
It is very definitely a man-thing. I lie awake for hours worrying and pondering about things, while OH is snoring within less than thirty seconds of his head hitting the pillow. He says it is because men have "no conscience" (personally I would attribute it to having substantially less brain cells never mind a conscience)
I totally agree!

Plus good luck bear deisel
Old Jul 18th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Rant over
jo
Why do men not accept that we just MIGHT feel a little bit stressed?
My OH says he is not at all stressed - he says he would only be stressed if he was staying in the UK:curse:

The rate he is going I will be withdrawing my spousal sponsorship and will leave him here!!

They don't understand us at all do they? Just a supportive word would do but no - it's "Why are you stressed? You should be happy/enjoying the move/looking forward to a new life".

I can't help having 50 million things going round in my head
We'd never get there if I left it to him

Jo
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

I wonder how the world would cope if it were left to men !!

Had the same problems myself,, lists, lists and more lists & every night waking up at 3:30am head full of more stuff to do whilst OH snores away with no worries in the world.

Good Luck everyone,,, Canada will wonder why all British Women are soooo tired when we finally get there !!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumof2
I wonder how the world would cope if it were left to men !!

Had the same problems myself,, lists, lists and more lists & every night waking up at 3:30am head full of more stuff to do whilst OH snores away with no worries in the world.

Good Luck everyone,,, Canada will wonder why all British Women are soooo tired when we finally get there !!
I know, my husband is currently just going to work. Me, I am:
looking after kids
going to work
planning move
dealing with house selling/renting
dealing with shippers
sorting schools
dealing with all other paperwork
sorting loads of other stuff
worrying
planning next item to be done
researching clagary etc
etc

I feel that I shuld be able to put
'successfully project managed move to Calgary for family of 4' on my cv. it is no mean feat I think!

gryph
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

We should put it on CV's because this process has to be the most stressful, horrendous thing I have had EVER done in my life !

Luckily,, I got made redundant just before Christmas so lots of time to sort stuff etc.. but didnt use Immigration Experts just done the forms myself however that has caused lots & lots of worry & self doubt.

But,, ,hey we are all on our way & the journey was sooo worth it - too all those worrying,,,, add them here cos a problem shared is a problem halved (or something like that ).
Old Jul 18th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by gryphea
I feel that I shuld be able to put
'successfully project managed move to Calgary for family of 4' on my cv. it is no mean feat I think!

gryph
Although I should say at this point that I haven't yet successfully project managed it! as we aren't there!
Old Jul 18th 2007, 12:42 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

Hi Jo

We've just got our quote from Fox this morning (after a lengthy wait).

What were you quoted by them - did you manage to strike a good deal? They're a bit on the high side at the minute and stating we need a 40footer...gulp! but local so we're a bit undecided.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud ofLisa_W has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by landhouse
Hi Jo

We've just got our quote from Fox this morning (after a lengthy wait).

What were you quoted by them - did you manage to strike a good deal? They're a bit on the high side at the minute and stating we need a 40footer...gulp! but local so we're a bit undecided.

It is interesting that you say you have just got their quote after a lengthy wait, as we also got them out to quote presumably from the same depot as you as we are in Lancs too. We ended up ringing them up several times to query why we hadn't received the written quotation, thinking it may have been lost in the post. We spoke to the man who came out and he said it would be sent out the following week (this was about 3 to 4 weeks after he had been out to the house). When it did not come the week after, or the week after that, we gave up on them and went with someone else. I had actually been quite keen to use them originally, because of good reports I had read about them on here, but after all the hassle of just trying to get a quotation out of them, I was very concerned about what their level of service would be like if we actually agreed to use them.

We did eventually get a quote but it was weeks after we had decided to go with another company. It seemed to me as if they were not that bothered about getting the business which seemed very strange.

But anyway if you do decide to use them, I hope it does go smoothly.

Lisa
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
I'm definately with you on this one. You sure our OH's aren't related in some way. He complains about lack of sleep due to constantly waking himself up. I do occasionally hear him talking in his sleep about work - somelike like "pass me the podger" and I'm like "What?".

What do you do on your days off. Mine are normally spent catching up on washing and other household stuff (I know get a life). His days off are exactly that - a total switch off and recharge. Gotta write him some nice lists of things to do before we put that "For Sale" up. Should keep him very occupied.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:15 pm
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

I imagine that we got the same guy and felt that he was looking down his nose at my stuff...which is all antique and some of it a bit...well, "country house" condition shall I say.

We're renting the wing of an old house and some of the furniture isn't ours. We did point out what was and what wasn't coming but he wasn't very forthcoming with suggestions. We said we'd not be packing clothes as we'd have them all with us and we'd pack up books etc but he said we couldn't do that...oh, why is everything just so complicated?

The pack that came basically said nothing apart from the cost.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by landhouse
I imagine that we got the same guy and felt that he was looking down his nose at my stuff...which is all antique and some of it a bit...well, "country house" condition shall I say.

We're renting the wing of an old house and some of the furniture isn't ours. We did point out what was and what wasn't coming but he wasn't very forthcoming with suggestions. We said we'd not be packing clothes as we'd have them all with us and we'd pack up books etc but he said we couldn't do that...oh, why is everything just so complicated?

The pack that came basically said nothing apart from the cost.
OK - if you are coming from lancashire - why not try anglo pacific? their quote is the most detailed we have had, and they were most convincing about what they knew imho

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.