Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Thoroughly disullusioned - BC (not for minors)

Thoroughly disullusioned - BC (not for minors)

Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:32 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Thoroughly disullusioned - BC (not for minors)

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Technically yes, Aboriginal people are citizens of Canada but there is no they when referring to how various people define themselves. It's pointless to contain a group of people into nice, neat categories.
The "Natives" certainly consider themselves to be Canadians with special rights.
Banned

Hunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to allHunterau is a name known to all

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
WTF?
I am Canadian (emigrated to Oz). My father is Metis and my mother is white, therefore I am 1/2 Metis. Clear?

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Ask 10 cradle (white) canadians the same questions and you'll get the same results.
Exactly. A lot of white Canadians hold incredibly racist points of view without fully realizing it.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:37 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hunterau
I am Canadian (emigrated to Oz). My father is Metis and my mother is white, therefore I am 1/2 Metis. Clear?
No not clear. As far as I am aware Metis is not limited to a child with half 'aboriginal' blood half 'european' blood therefore the child of anyone claiming metis heritage is automatically Metis.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:37 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that you are correct that they (Indians born in Canada) have any inherent right to a US passport, since they aren't US citizens. The Jay Treaty gives them the right to reside and work in the US, but without citizenship.

There is one particular native band that does....I cannot for the life of me remember the name. I remember being taught about it as my instructor had some affiliation with the band and he held a US paasport as well as Canadian. In the meantime, I would defer to HWP or anyone else with detailed knowledge. What I know is from books and Uni, that's all.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:38 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Pardon? What are you trying to say?
The Acadians were of French extraction and refused to pledge allegeance to the British Crown after the French forces were defeated in what is now Nova Scotia so they were placed on ships and send back to France (and elsewhere) circa 1775. The Indians often fought as allies of the British. Ergo, the Indians got treaties, and the Acadians got the boot.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:38 am

The "Natives" certainly consider themselves to be Canadians with special rights.
Oh please....
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:40 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Hunterau
Yes, that's more clear, but why not just say that you are 1/4 Native?

BTW, Canada belongs to the citizens of Canada - plain and simple.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:41 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Oh please....
I'm just quoting the Chief of the Saddle Lake Band (as one example)... but what does he know?
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:42 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
OK..potted history 101:

Metis were the product of unions between native women and European men. The native women were already here as it were and the children tended to stay here while the men left, as the kids would not have been accepted in Britain or France. These kids fitted into neither native or white culture and as a result a distinct settlement of ostracised 'half-breeds" (not my choice of words before anyone says anything) began to evolve. Some men came back, but they would have generally been the object of ridicule with a native wife in tow.

http://www.metisnation.ca/who/index.html explains why the Metis are considered aboriginal better than I can!

At the risk of annoying anyone with Acadian heritage...Acadians were direct imports from France.... i.e. no connection to the existing natives who populated what we know as Canada at the time the first europeans turned up. The Brits got pissed off at them after the Treaty of Utrecht (when Britain got Nova Scotia given to them by the French) because the Acadians refused to swear allegiance to the Monarch. These were French people from France who hated the British at the best of times. Britain then booted them out in numbers from Acadia (Nova Scotia). Many moved to Louisiana....became know as Cajun for no reason other than deep Southern accents could not enunciate A cadian. There is no evidence of high numbers of native/Acadian children being born - many French/native and Scottish/native and British/native with some Russian/native children...but these people identified as anything but Acadian and so the distinction was carved.

I need a social life.
Ok my understanding Metis are of mixed heritage established post 1700.
Acadians were here pre 1700.
Therefore the prescence of Acadians predates Metis.
Acadians were deported from what we now know as Canada because they were pacifist who refused to leave their land and wouldnt swear aliegance to 'The Crown' OR France. There is little evidence of them hating the british (as far as I know)
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:43 am
Banned

The Acadians were of French extraction and refused to pledge allegeance to the British Crown after the French forces were defeated in what is now Nova Scotia so they were placed on ships and send back to France (and elsewhere) circa 1775. The Indians often fought as allies of the British. Ergo, the Indians got treaties, and the Acadians got the boot.
What history have been reading????
The acadians were deported to the US!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:44 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by dingbat
There is one particular native band that does....I cannot for the life of me remember the name. I remember being taught about it as my instructor had some affiliation with the band and he held a US paasport as well as Canadian. In the meantime, I would defer to HWP or anyone else with detailed knowledge. What I know is from books and Uni, that's all.
Please look it up ... I would like to have you confirm this. I don't see how this is legally possible.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:44 am

Acadians were here pre 1700.
By like 80 years. That hardly makes them Aboriginal.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:45 am
Banned

Please look it up ... I would like to have you confirm this. I don't see how this is legally possible.
Must admit I have heard something similar, BUT I dont think it is any longer in effect.
Old Jun 22nd 2006, 4:46 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I'll try and find the instructor (he went off to New Zealand on some exchange thing). He'll be able to tell me if I have it A about F.

HWP why on earth are you up this late???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.